Dr Nadia Bernaz is Senior Lecturer and leads the PhD programme in Law at Middlesex University School of Law. She is an invited Professor at the Catholic University of Lille (France) and an adjunct lecturer of the Irish Centre for Human Rights (National University of Ireland, Galway).
Dr Bernaz specialises in international human rights law, international criminal law, business and human rights, death penalty issues and the Caribbean region. She welcomes PhD students wishing to work in those areas. With 15 years of experience in human rights and international law, Dr Bernaz has taught and trained students and professionals in the public and private sectors around the world.
BLOG on business and human rights: Rights as Usual.
French (mother tongue)
- Le droit international et la peine de mort, La Documentation Française (2008).
- The Politics of the Death Penalty in Countries in Transition, Routledge, co-edited with Dr Madoka Futamura (2013).
- Routledge Handbook of International Criminal Law, Routledge, co-edited with Professor William Schabas (2011).
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- "Corporate Criminal Liability under International Law: the New TV S.A.L. and Akhbar Beirut S.A.L. Cases at the Special Tribunal for Lebanon", 13 Journal of International Criminal Justice 313-330 (2015).
- "Life Imprisonment and the Prohibition of Inhuman Punishments in International Human Rights Law: Moving the Agenda Forward", 35 Human Rights Quarterly 470-497 (2013).
- "Enhancing Corporate Accountability for Human Rights Violations: Is Extraterritoriality the Magic Potion?", 117 Journal of Business Ethics 493-511 (2013).
- "Delivering Justice in the Caribbean: a Human Rights Assessment of the Caribbean Court of Justice", Public Law, 703-723 (2012)
Chapters in books
- "Resources Grabbing and Human Rights: Building a Triangular Relationship Between States, Indigenous Peoples and Corporations", in Angelica Bonfanti, Francesca Romanin Jacur, Francesco Seatzu (eds), Natural Resources Grabbing: Erosion or Legitimate Exercise of State Sovereignty?, Brill, co-authored with Dr Jérémie Gilbert (forthcoming 2016).
- "State Obligations with regard to the Extraterritorial Activities of Companies Domiciled on their Territories", in Carla Buckley, Alice Donald, Philip Leach (eds.), The Harmonization of International Human Rights Law, Brill (forthcoming 2016).
- "Establishing Liability for Financial Complicity in International Crimes", in Juan Pablo Bohoslavsky & Jernej Letnar Cernic (eds.), Making Sovereign Financing & Human Rights Work, Hart, 61-76, (2014)
- "Continuing Evolution of the United Nations Treaty Bodies System", in Nigel S. Rodley and Scott Sheeran (eds.), Routledge Handbook of International Human Rights Law, Routledge, 707-723 (2014).
- "Transitional Processes and the Death Penalty in North Africa", in Madoka Futamura & Nadia Bernaz (eds.), The Politics of the Death Penalty in Countries in Transition, Routledge, 203-216, co-authored with Amor Boubakri (2013),
- "Sentences and Penalties", in William SCHABAS and Nadia BERNAZ (eds), Routledge Handbook of International Criminal Law, Routledge, 289-303 (2011).
- "International and Domestic Prosecutions", in Cherif BASSIOUNI (ed.), The Pursuit of International Criminal justice, Intersentia, 269-398, co-authored with Dr Rémy Prouvèze (2010).
- "L'exceptionnalisme américain et les Nations Unies: le cas de la peine de mort" (American Exceptionalism and the United Nations: the Example of the Death Penalty), in Ludovic HENNEBEL, Arnaud VAN WAEYENBERGE (eds), Exceptionnalisme américain et droits de l'homme (American Exceptionalism and Human Rights), Paris, Dalloz, 255-277 (2009).
- "Reforming the UN Human Rights Protection Procedures: a Legal Perspective on the Establishment of the Universal Periodic Review Mechanism", in Kevin BOYLE (ed.), New Institutions for Human Rights Protection, Oxford University Press, 75-92 (2009).
- "La Cour de Justice caraïbe: une juridiction inclassable" (The Caribbean Court of Justice: an Unclassifiable Court), L'Observateur des Nations Unies, 24 . 65-82.
- "L'abolition de la peine de mort pour les mineurs: à propos de l'arrêt Roper v. Simmons de la Cour suprême" (The Abolition of the Death Penalty for Juveniles: Remarks on the Roper v. SimmonsUSSupreme Court Case), Revue Française de Droit Constitutionnel, April 2006, 437-448.
- "Les incohérences de l'arrêt Öcalan contre Turquie de la Cour européenne des droits de l'homme" (The incoherences of the Öcalan v. Turkey Decision of the European Court of Human Rights Regarding the Death Penalty), L'Observateur des Nations Unies, Spring 2003, 14, 149-161.
- "Guidance on Business and Human Rights: A Review" co-authored with Dr Jérémie Gilbert and Professor Joshua Castellino (2011).
- "Setting up of the Human Rights Council and the role of the EU" in Briefing Paper "The Role of the EU in the Human Rights Council", study for the European Parliament, co-authored with Professor Jan Wouters and Ms Sudeshna Basu, University of Leuven (Belgium) (2008).