The University has in place travel insurance cover with Zurich Municipal for all staff/ students on business trips both at home and overseas. This insurance cover applies to trips undertaken on behalf of the University for business purposes only. If you arrange a business trip and you wish to extend your trip for annual leave you must take out your own personal travel insurance for that part of the trip.

When you first travel on business you should contact Sue Campion, the University's Insurance Coordinator to request a Middlesex Insurance Pack. You only need to do this once. The insurance pack includes the summary of cover and the emergency medical assistance contact number.

The INSURER has stipulated that there will be no cover provided if staff/students choose to go to a country that is unstable. The INSURER will not be liable for any claim made or brought as a result of deliberate exposure to unnecessary danger (except in an attempt to save human life). Please check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website for more information.

Your Health, Safety and Security

To ensure that you have considered any problems that might impact on your health, safety and security while you are overseas, you should complete a review of potential risks and then complete the Travel Form.

There are four main risk areas which you should consider prior to undertaking any overseas travel and these are discussed below:

  • Are you fit to travel.
  • How are you getting to your destination
  • Visa and passport.
  • Local risks.

Are You Fit to Travel?

You should consult your GP to discuss vaccinations and any conditions that may affect your ability to travel or participate in the intended activity overseas. Consider your dental health as well. We suggest that you book an appointment at least six weeks in advance of your departure as some medicines must be taken in advance of departure. Costs incurred may be reimbursed by the University. For more information contact your Director/Dean.

Further guidance on vaccination requirements are available at the websites detailed below. You are strongly advised to take appropriate measures, as outlined in this section, to ensure that you are continually updating your vaccination coverage.

Please note that insurance coverage can also be invalidated if required vaccinations have not been taken. Some countries can refuse entry if documentation is not provided to verify that the required vaccinations have been taken.

Some territories such as Dubai (UAE) have very strict laws regarding over the counter medicines with many common drugs such as codeine, diazepam (Valium) or dextromethorphan (Robitussin). These drugs are considered to be controlled substances and are banned unless you have a notarized and authenticated doctor's prescription. Visitors breaking the rules, even inadvertently, have found themselves deported or jailed. The US Embassy to the UAE maintains an unofficial list of what may not be imported. If you are travelling to Dubai, local law stipulates that you should have a copy of your original prescription or a letter from your doctor if you are planning to take prescription medicines into the country.

Useful Websites

How Are You Getting To Your Destination?

Travel requirements involving transport by air, rail and coach should, whenever possible, be made via the University's nominated travel agents Chelsea Travel Management, (CTM)  to help satisfy the University's corporate responsibilities. Please book your travel as early as possible to get the best rates. All air travel should be via direct flight in economy class unless the flight is 'long haul' (i.e. more than 8 hours) when an exception is made to allow your budget holder to approve business class travel.

You are advised against using airlines which are on the list of airlines banned from flying in the European Union banned airlines list. Where your travel is not by a recognised passenger carrier, the risk assessment section of your Travel Form should also include the travel arrangements.

If you are travelling by car please check that you have prior approval to do so from your Dean/Director and check that your motor insurance cover extends to business use.

Visas and passports

The University's travel agent can advise you on whether an entry visa is required for the country of travel. You should check that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond the proposed dates of travel and ensure that there is sufficient space for visas and stamps. Remember that visas can take up to three weeks to obtain.

Once the visa has been obtained, you are advised to make a photocopy of the back pages and all the pages in your passport that have entry clearances or immigration stamps on them and pack this separately from your passport.

Do not carry your passport around as a means of identification while you are overseas, (excluding entering or exiting a country). It is recommended that alternative photographic identification be used, such as a valid driving licence, on a day-to-day basis.

If your passport is lost or stolen, contact the police and your country's embassy immediately and give them the passport details. Contact details for British embassies are available on the Foreign and Commonwealth website. Non British travellers are advised to keep contact details of their nearest embassy for each destination.

Local risks

The Travel Form advises you to consult a variety of sources (FCO website etc) to determine potential such as.

  • Remoteness of location and distance to assistance.
  • Climate, including altitude, daylight and season.
  • Geopolitical climate and potential for civil unrest.
  • Security and safety provisions.
  • Emergency and first aid needs.
  • Communication requirements eg mobile phones.
  • Local culture and non verbal communication.

You should register with the FCO's LOCATE service (available to ALL British Nationals travelling and living overseas, even on short trips) so that British embassy and crisis staff can provide better assistance in an emergency such as a tsunami or terrorist attack.

It only takes a few minutes to register your contact details and travel plans online and the local British embassy will know you're coming. There's no need to contact them directly.

Travelling safely

Trust your instincts. If you find yourself in a situation that you are uncomfortable in, don't be afraid to trust your instincts and remove yourself from the situation.

Middlesex has a duty of care to look after you when you are travelling both in the UK and overseas. Additionally, you have a level of personal responsibility when travelling to look after yourself. Be properly briefed and aware of any related safety issues for your destination country.

A comprehensive (but not exhaustive) checklist has been provided to prompt you to take precautionary measures for own health and safety.

Important safety information to remember

The information below should be printed out an where necessary filled in

Contact Details in the Event of an Emergency

My Name

Line Manager:

Tel No:

Next of Kin:

Tel No:

CIE Emergency Tel No:
+44 (0)7917041670

Middlesex University Insurance
Zurich Municipal
Policy No: NHE-01CA08-0013

24 Hour Emergency Helpline Numbers Abroad:

+ 44 845 271 3848
Fax: +49 89 500 70389
UK: 0845 271 3848


Bookmark and Share