Dr Bahman Baluch
Current work administrative and professional duties/roles:
- BA (Teh), MA (Lond) PhD (Lond) CPsychol, AFBPsS, CSci
- Module Leader PSY4012
Membership of the following organisations:
- The Experimental Psychology Society (UK)
- The British Psychological Society
- Psychology and Education: An Interdisciplinary Journal
- On the editorial board of: Today's Journal of Gynaecology (Persian- English text - Tehran Medical Association)
Selected Publications and conference presentations 1987-2001
- Baluch, B. (1987). Visual and Phonological Routes in Reading: Evidence from Persian. Paper presented at the British Psychological Society Conference . Leeds, U.K.
- Baluch, B.(1989). Reading Persian: Implications for Models of Visual Word Recognition. Paper presented at the meeting of the Experimental Psychology Society Conference. Swansea, Wales, U.K.
- Besner, D. & Baluch, B. (November 1990). Visual Word Recognition & PDP Models: The Consequences of being well connected. Paper presented at the meeting of the Psychonomic Society, New Orleans, U.S.A.
- Baluch, B.& Besner, D. (January 1991). Strategic use of Lexical and Nonlexical Routines in Oral Reading. Evidence from Oral Reading of Persian. Paper presented at the meeting of Experimental Psychology Society, London, England.
- Baluch, B. & Besner, D. (1991). Visual Word Recognition: Evidence for Strategic Control of Lexical and Nonlexical Routines in Oral Reading.Journal of Experimental Psychology, Learning, Memory and Cognition17,4,644-651.
- Baluch, B. & Shahidi, S. (1991) Visual word recognition in beginning readers of Persian. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 72, 3,1327-1331.
- Baluch, B. & Abdullah-Darlan, K. (1991). On processing the Roman and Arabic orthographies of Malay: Some implications from the Stroop-Colour-Word test. Psychological Reports. 69, 2, 563-569.
- Shahidi, S. & Baluch, B. (1991). Coping with Psychiatric Morbidity of Natural Disaster in Iran. Baranoosh Scientific Quarterly,1,4, 9-12
- Shahidi, S. &Baluch, B. (1991). False heart rate feedback, social anxiety and the self-attribution of embarrassment. Psychological Reports, 69, 1024-1026.
- Baluch, B. (1992). Reading with and without vowels. Paper presented to XXV International Congress of Psychology, Brussels, Belgium 19-24 July 1992.
- Baluch, B. (1992). Reading with and without vowels: What are the Psychological consequences? Journal of Social and Evolutionary Systems ,15,1, 95-104.
- Baluch, B. and Shahidi S. (1992) Reading with and without vowels - What are the psychological consequencesInternational Journal of Psychology 27, 3-4 P 75.
- Baluch, B. & Manyande. A. (1992). Failing to conceive with in vitro fertilisation: What are the psychological consequences. Poster presented to the annual conference of The British Psychological Society, London, December (1992). Reported in the Guardian Newspaper, 13 January 1993.
- Baluch, B.(1992). [Infertility and its Psychological Consequences in Iran]. Baranoosh Scientific Quarterly, 5, 1, 34-35 (Persian text).
- Baluch, B., Al-Shawaf, T. & Craft, I. (1992). Prime factors for seeking infertility treatment amongst Iranian patients. Psychological Reports , 71, 265-266.
- Baluch, B., Craft, I. & Al-Shawaf, T. (1992). What is stressful about in vitro fertilization? Psychological Reports, 71, 1187-1190.
- Baluch, B.(1993). Lexical decisions in Persian: A test of the orthographic depth hypothesis. International Journal of Psychology,28, 19-27.
- Baluch, B. (1993). A test of the orthographic depth hypothesis. Poster presented to the joint meeting of The Experimental Psychology Society, and the Canadian Brain and Cognition Society, Toronto, Canada, July 14-17.
- Fallone, A. & Baluch. B. (1993). Eye colour: An unconsidered variable in cognitive research? Perceptual and Motor Skills, 77,1123-1127.
- Baluch, B .(1993). Infertility and its psychological consequences. Paper presented to the Sixth Annual Congress of Geographical Medicine ,Shiraz, Iran. May 1993.
- Baluch, B., Manyande, A., Aghssa, M.M. & Jafarri, R. (1993). Failing to conceive with in vitro fertilisation: The Middle Eastern Experience. Psychological Reports, 72, 1107-1110.
- Baluch, B. et al. (1993). The psychological aspects of in vitro fertilisation. Poster presented to the joint meeting of The Experimental Psychology Society, and the Canadian Brain and Cognition Society, Toronto, Canada, July 14-17.
- Arora, A. & Baluch, B. (1994). Choosing alternative medicine: A preliminary survey on British Asians and Caucasians. Local Economy Quarterly 3, 1, 120-124.
- Baluch, B., Fallone, A. & Khan, J. (1994). Gender differences and personality correlates to attitudes towards controversial aspects of human reproduction. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 9,1, 329-334.
- Baluch, B., Anderson, R., Fallone, A., Furnham, A. & Aghssa, M. (1994) Women's attitude towards egg donation and sperm donation: A cross-cultural research. Psychology - A Journal of Human Behavior, 3/4,5-8.
- Baluch, B. & Fallone, A. (1994). Psychological Correlates in Attitudes Towards Controversial Aspects of Human Reproduction. Paper presented to the 23rd International Congress of Applied Psychology, Madrid, Spain, 17-22 July
- Raman, I. & Baluch, B. (1995). Visual word recognition in Turkish: Implications for Models of Reading. Poster presented to the V Congress of Psychology, Athens, Greece, and July l995.
- Baluch, B., Furnham, A. & Huszcza, A. (1995). Perception of body shapes by anorexics and controls. Poster presented to the Fourth European Congress of Psychology, Athens, Greece, July 1995.
- Baluch, B. (1995). Male infertility in a male dominated society. Poster presented to the annual meeting of the Society for Reproductive and Infant Psychology. Leicester, U.K., September 1995
- Alzubaidi, A., Baluch, B. & Moafi, A. (1995). Attitudes towards the mentally disabled in a non-western society. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 10, 4, 933-938.
- Martin, N.G., Sadler, S.J. & Baluch, B. (1995). Common-sense and psychology students' knowledge of psychological research. Paper presented to the British Psychological Society Conference, London, December 1995.
- Baluch, B.(1995). Access students knowledge of Psychology. Journal of Access Studies 10, 1,81-86.
- Baluch, B. & Kaur, B. (1995). Change of attitudes towards animal experimentation in an academic setting. The Journal of Psychology129, 4, 477-479.
- Baluch, B., Martin G. N. & Corulla. W.J. (1996). A comparison of psychology and non-psychology students' estimation of desirable and undesirable personality traits. Poster presented to the 8th European Congress of Personality , Ghent, Belgium, 8-12 July 1996.
- Raman, I., Baluch, B., & Sneddon, P. (1996). What is the cognitive systems preferred route for deriving phonology from print? European Psychologist, 1, 3, 221-227.
- Baluch, B., Martin, G.N., Christian, L. & Corulla, W. (1996) Psychology and non-Psychology students estimation of their desirable and undesirable personality traits. Personality and Individual Differences.21,4, 617-620.
- Baluch, B. (1996). Word frequency effects in experienced and previously experienced adult readers of Persian. Reading and Writing-An Interdisciplinary Journal, 8, 433-441.
- Raman, I., Baluch, B. & Besner, D. (1997). Word frequency and imageability effects on naming a shallow orthography. Poster presented to the VI Congress of Psychology, Dublin, Ireland, July l997.
- Alzubaidi, A., Upton, G. & Baluch, B., (1997). Expressed concerns of Yemeni Adolescents. Adolescence., 33, no 129, 193- 207.
- Baluch, B., Furnham, A., & Huszcza, A. (1997). Perception of body shapes by anorexic and mature and teenage females. Journal of Clinical Psychology. 53, 2, 167-175.
- Martin, G. N., Sadler, S.J. &Baluch, B., (1997). Individual group differences in the perception and knowledge of psychological research. Personality and Individual Differences 22, 5, 771-774, 8
- Clark, J. & Baluch, B. (1997). Hospital Education: Effective or disruptive? Education and Health, 15,3, 79-82.
- Ertubey C. & Baluch, B. (1998). Turkish perceptions of the benefit of Genetic Engineering. Poster presented to British Psychological Society’s annual division of Health Psychology, July 1998, Bangor, Wales.
- Nasseri, M. & Baluch, B. & Aghssa M. M (1998). Psychological reactions to infertility and infertility treatment: The Persian experience. Presented to the Society for Reproductive and Infant Psychology 18th Annual Conference Edinburgh 8-10 September. Abstract reported in Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology.
- Baluch, B., Nasseri, M. & Aghssa, M. M. (1998). Psychological and Social Aspects of Male Infertility. Journal of Social and Evolutionary Systems. 21, 1, 113-120 ISSN 1061-7361
- Baluch, B.& Randhawa, G. (1998). Attitude Scales, Personality Traits and the Role of Persuasion in Organ Donation. Transplantationsmedizin 10, 102:106.
- Furnham A, Thompson, S & Baluch, B. (1998). Measuring Psychological knowledge by means of MCQ's: Some notes for concern? European Psychologist ,3, 3, 185-191
- Baluch. B, & Besner D. (1999). Naming single words in an alphabetic script: Orthography to semantics to phonology. Paper presented to the 40th annual meeting of the Psychonomic Society, 18th November, Los Angels ,USA.
- Raman, I. & Baluch, B. (1999). Word recognition in Turkish: Implications for models of reading. Paper presented to the VI European Congress of Psychology Rome July 1999.
- Duffy, L. Baluch, B. & K. Andres Ericsson (1999). Factors Affecting the Structure and Acquisition of Expert Performance in Sport: Evidence from Darts. Paper published in the proceedings of the V1 European Congress of Psychology in Rome.
- Baluch, B. & Besner, D. (2000) Basic Processes in Reading: Semantics Affects Speeded Naming of High Frequency Words in an Alphabetic Script. Paper to be presented to the joint meeting of the Experimental Psychology Society and Canadian Brain and Cognition Society, June 2000, Cambridge, England.
- Raman, I, Baluch, B., & Besner, D. (2000). A Critical Test of the Changing Routes versus Changing Deadlines Debate in Print to Sound Translation. Paper to be presented to the joint meeting of the Experimental Psychology Society and Canadian Brain and Cognition Society, June,2000, Cambridge, England.
Selected Publications/conference presentations 2001- to 2007
- Baluch, B. Randhawa, G., Holmes, S. L& Duffy, L (2001). Signing the Organ Donor Card: The Relationship Between Expressed Attitude, Actual Behaviour and Personality Traits. The Journal of Social Psychology, 141 (1), 124-126
- Raman, I.& Baluch. B. (2001). Imageability effects and level of skill in naming a transparent alphabetic orthography. Reading and Writing-An Interdisciplinary Journal , 14, 599-614
- Duffy, L., Erricsson, K. A & Baluch, B. (2001). The Nature of Gender Differences in Dart Performance. Paper published in the proceedings of the 10th World Congress of Sport Psychology- Skiathos- Greece.
- Baluch, B & Besner , D (2001). Semantics affects speeded naming of high frequency words in an alphabetic script. Canadian Journal of Experimental Psychology, 55:1, 63-69
- Baluch. B. (2001) The write way to read. The Alumni Association Bulletin. Institute of Education, University of London. 10, 5, December
- Furnham, A, Shahidi, S& Baluch, B. (2002). Sex and cultural differences in perceptions of estimated multiple intelligence for self and family: A British- Iranian comparisons. Journal of Cross Cultural Psychology, 33, (3) 270-285.
- Gunter, B. Baluch, B, Duffy, L& Furnham, A (2002). Children's Memory for Television Advertising: The Effects of Programme/Advertising Congruity, Applied Cognitive Psychology, 16, 171-190
- Furnham, A Baluch, B : Starr, F (Dec 2003). British Students' knowledge of Clinical Psychology-Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 16(4).
- Ardehali, B, Baluch, B, Furnham, A, Zakkar, M,& Williams, G. (2003). A pilot investigation on psychological variables in pre-and post-renal first attempt transplant patients. Transplantationsmedizin, 15 110-114.
- Furnham A; Petrides K V; Sisterson, G & Baluch B. (2003) Repressive coping style and postive self-presentation. British Journal of Health Psychology2003;8(Pt 2):223-49.
- Raman, I, Baluch, B & Besner, D (2004). On the control of visual word recognition: Changing routes versus changing deadlines. Memory and Cognition 32 (3) 482-500
- Book Chapter- Baluch, B. (2005) Persian Orthography and Literacy. In R. M. Joshi and P. G. Aaron. Handbook of Orthographies and Literacy. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Duffy, L., Baluch, B.& Ericsson, K.A. (2004). Dart performance as a function of facts of practice amongst professional and amateur men and women players. International Journal of Sport Psychology.35-232-245
- Baluch, B & Danaye- Tousie, (2005) Developmental dyslexia as a function of opaqueness and transparency of a word's spelling: Evidence from Persian. The Experimental Psychology Society meeting London 6-7 January 2005
- Duffy, L . J. Baluch, B..& Ericsson, K. A. (2006) In search of the loci for sex differences in throwing: The effects of physical size and differential recruitment rates on high levels of dart performance. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport.
- Baluch, B & Danaye-Tousie, M. (2006). Children and adults memory for words as a function of spelling transparency. The Experimental Psychology Society, 5-6 January- University College London
- Baluch, B :&Danaye-Tousi, M (2006) Spelling transparency and its impact on the reading of normal and dyslexic readers. The Iranian Journal of Contemporary Psychology
- Baluch, B & Danaye-Tousi, M (2006) Spelling transparency and its impact on dyslexic and unimpaired children's memory for words. Annals of Dyslexia, 56,2,319-334
- Baluch, B. & Danaye-Tousie, M (2006). Memory for words as a function of spelling transparency. The Journal of Psychology - Interdisciplinary and Applied 140, 2, 95-105
- Baluch, B.& Danaye-Tousi, M. (2007). A pilot investigation into unimpaired and dyslexic Persian children's word naming and spelling: Implications for models of reading and counselling. Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 20,1, 41-50
Selected Publications/conference presentations 2009- to date
- Nalesnik, N, D. & Baluch, B. (2009). Developmental dyslexics and unimpaired children's reading and memory for words in a transparent orthography.Presentation to the Experimental Psychology Society meeting 5-6 January 2009 - University College London
- Nalesnik, N. D., & Baluch, B. (2010). Developmental dyslexics and unimpaired children’s reading and memory for words in a transparent orthography. Europe’s Journal of Psychology 1/2010, pp. 44-62 ISSN 1841-0413
- Kuwik, A., & Baluch, B. (2010). Gender Differences in Polish Citizen’s Attitudes Towards Immigration to the UK. Europe’s Journal of Psychology, 4/2010, pp. 192-208
- Book Chapter- Baluch, B. & Choudhury. S. (2010). Spelling transparency and its impact on short term memory: Evidence from Persian and English. In Spelling Skills: Acquisition, Abilities and Reading Connection” Nova Science Publishers ISSN 978-1-61668 472-3
- Nyman, K. R., Baluch, B. & Duffy, L. J. (2011). Human figure drawings by children in hospital and mainstream schools. International Journal of Health Promotion and Education Vol 49, 1, 21-26 ISSN 1463-5240
- Nyman, K. R, Baluch, B. Duffy, L. & Shinebourne, P. (2011) Drawings of self and best friend by children undergoing dialysis. Education and Health, 49, 21,26
- Syed, S. N, Baluch, B, Duffy, L, & Verma. V. (2012) British and Indian Student's attitudes towards Western Counselling: A comparative Quantitative study, Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 25, 1, 63-72
Schnieder, S., Krajewski J., Esch, T., Baluch, B. & Wilhelm, B. (2012). Just valid or even accurate? Determine the measurement accuracy of the pupillographic sleepiness test by applying self and observer ratings. Somnology, Sleep Research and Sleep Medicine, 1, 1-15.
- Cognitive Psychology; Psychological aspects of infertility; organ donation; Research Methods
- Cognitive processes of reading; Psychological aspects of infertility and infertility treatment
PhD Students supervised to completion:
Director of Studies: Dr. Ilhan Raman (1999)
"Single word naming in a transparent alphabetic orthography"
Publications on the basis of the thesis in the following journals:
European Psychologist, Memory and Cognition, Reading and Writing
Director of Studies: Dr. Maryam Nasseri (2000)
"Psychological and social aspects of infertility and infertility treatment: The Persian experience"
Publications on the basis of the thesis in the following journals:
Journal of Social and Evolutionary Systems, Psychological Reports
Director of Studies: Dr. Linda Duffy (2002)
"Gender Differences in Target Throwing Skills and Dart Playing Performance: Evidence from Elite Dart Players"
Publications on the basis of the thesis in the following journals:
Research Quarterly for Exercise, International Journal of Sport Psychology
Supporting supervisor: Dr Mohammed Abul Lais (2004)
"Attitudes Towards and Effectiveness of Work Related Learning among the Bangladeshi Community in the UK"
Director of Studies: Dr. Rhonda Cohen (2012)
"The Relationship between Personality, Sensation Seeking, Reaction Time and Sport Participation: Evidence from Drag Racers, Sport Science Students and Archers"