Ben started working at Middlesex in 2005 during his PhD which was on anti-Thatcherite comic books of the 1980s. He is mostly interested in the interaction between politics and culture and has a particular specialism in the political experiences of the generation born after 1979. Teaching in Media has provided a useful insight into these issues and has lead him to explore a range of different areas around campaigning and movements for social change. He has explored communications, politics and media technology in relation to the NGO sector, the Arab Spring, Occupy, the EDL and UK Uncut.
He is co-editor of Soundings: A Journal of Politics and Culture.
- MA Cultural Studies, University of Leeds
- BA English Literature, University of Bristol
- PhD, Middlesex University
- PGCertHE, Middlesex University
- Social Movements
- Network Society
- Comics and graphic novels
- Critical and cultural theory
- Politics and culture
- Young people and politics
Module leader for MED1002 Introduction to Media and Society.
Module leader for PLM3001, Magazines.
Module leader MED3053 Campaigns and Social Change.
Programme Leader for Publishing degrees.
Publishing and Media: Media and Cultural Studies
Edited books • Ben Little; 2010; Radical Future: Politics for the next generation; Lawrence and Wishart; London; 130 pages
• Clare Coatman, and Guy Shrubsole with Ben Little and Shiv Malik; forthcoming Feb 2012; re:Generation; Lawrence and Wishart; London; approximately 200 pages
Selected articles and chapters in edited books • Ben Little; forthcoming 2012; ‘Forget Markets: It's ownership that matters’ in Clare Coatman et al. re:Generation ; Lawrence and Wishart; London; pages tbc
• Deborah Grayson and Ben Little; 2011; ‘The National in the Network Society: UK Uncut, the English Defence League and the challenge for social democracy.’ in Henning Meyer and Jonathan Rutherford (eds) Building the Good Society: The future of social democracy in Europe Palgrave-Macmillan; London; pages 177-191
• Ben Little; 2010; ‘Networks and the dialectics of generational politics’ in Ben Little (ed.) Radical Future: Politics for the next generation Lawrence and Wishart; London; pages 22-28
• Ben Little; 2010; ‘2000AD: Understanding the “British Invasion” of American Comics’ in Comics a Nexus of Culture(s) ed. Mark Berninger et al; McFarland; London; pages 140-153
• Ben Little; 2009; ‘The Millenium Generation and Politics’ Soundings #42 ed. Johnathan Rutherford; Lawrence and Wishart; London; pages 119-128
• Ben Little; 2009; ‘Constructing the reader’s perspective in V for Vendetta: The John A. Lent Scholarship essay’ in International Journal of Comic Art #41. Drexel Hill; Pennsylvania; pages 183-202
Prizes • John A. Lent Scholarship for Outstanding Research in the Field of Comic Art, International Comics Art Forum, 2008