Prof Brenda Barrett
MA, (Oxon), PhD (University College, London), Barrister at Law (Gray's Inn). Fellow of the Academy
Occupational Health and Safety Law
5 completions 3 MPhil, 2 PhD
Ongoing interested in PhD supervision
- Labour Law
- Occupational Health and Safety Law
- Health and Safety section of Employment Law for People Managers Manual (looseleaf) CIPD.
- "Vicarious Liability for Harassment by an Employee" in Industrial Law Journal 2005 Vol.35 pp.431-438.
- "Counselling Services not a Substitute for Stress Management" in Industrial Law Journal (2005) Vol.35 pp.216-224.
- "Psychiatric Stress- An Unacceptable Cost to Employers" in The Journal of Business Law Issue 1, 2008 pp 64-82.
- "Liability for Safety Offences: Is the Law Still Fatally Flawed?" in Industrial Law Journal Vol. 37 pp. 100-118.
- Health and Safety Issues in New Forms of Employment and Work Organization (with Malcolm Sargeant) in The International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations Vol. 24/2 243-261
- When Does Harassment Warrant Redress?” in Industrial Law Journal (2010) Vol. 39 pp.194-201
- Should Employers be held more responsible for Stress at the Work Place? Contemporary Issues in Law Vol.11 Issue 1 pp.37-53
- Health Safety & Well-being of Vulnerable Workers (with Malcolm Sargeant) Chapter 1 pp.1-20, Vulnerable Workers, Health, Safety & Well-being edited by Malcolm Sargeant and Maria Giovanannone (Gower 2011)
- When is a Work Break Not a Statutory Rest Break? in Industrial Law Journal (2012) Vol.41 No.3 pp.363-369
- WhoCan Help Britain's Vulnerable Workforce?pp.117-136 E-Journal of International & Comparative Labour Studies Vol.1 No. 3-4 October-December 2012 http://adapt.it/EJCLS/index.php/ejcls_adapt/issue/current
- A Question of Integration In Business Law Review (2013) Vol.34, Issue 1 pp.24-27
- 'Whither Occupational Health and Safety?' in Contemporary Issues in Law
Volume 12 Issue 2 March 2013 pp. 107-125.
Externally Funded Projects:
On going EU Labour Law Project (2005-2012); with Professor Malcolm Sargeant covering Vulnerable Workers, Supermarket Cashiers and Agency Workers
Report on completed international comparative project led by Malcolm Sargeanton Implementation of Directive 2008/104/EC on Temporary Agency Workers, November 2012, Part II pp.2-37
- Employer's Liability for Work-Related Stress Keynote lecture at MA residential course at Salford University, November 2005.
- Corporate Liability for Work-Related Fatalities -Keynote presentation at Conference for legal and safety practitioners at University of Salford 5th March 2008.
Barrister: Fellow of the Academy
Links with Partner/Business Organisations
- Company Secretary Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust and Subsidiary Trading Company
- Company Secretary Lee Housing Association
- Governor Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School