Dr Carlisle George
Dr. Carlisle George is a lawyer and computer scientist. Among other qualifications, he holds a masters degree in Law (LLM) from the London School of Economics, specialising in Information Technology & Communications Law, and a PhD in Computer Science from the University of London (Goldsmiths). He has also been called to the Bar of England and Wales at Lincoln¹s Inn (London). He is a Principal Lecturer in the School of Science and Technology and Convenor of the ALERT (Aspects of Law and Ethics Related to Technology) research group. Among other academic engagements he has worked as a visiting lecturer in information technology law in the Department of Law at the London School of Economics. Dr George is a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Electronic Security and Digital Forensics. He has published many academic articles focusing on various aspects of law related to technology and coedited two books on regulatory issues in eHealth. He is a member of several professional bodies including the Honourable Society of Lincoln¹s Inn, the Higher Education Academy and IFIP Working Group 9.2.
BSc, PGCert (HE), PgDip(Law)/CPE, BVC, LLM, PhD, Barrister (Lincoln's Inn), FHEA
- Law & Information Technology: Internet Law and Regulation; Information Technology Law; Media and Communications Regulation; Intellectual Property Law; Data Protection & Privacy; Regulation of eHealth Technologies; Legal Aspects of Digital Forensics
- Director of Studies Blay Whitby: The social implications of Artificial Intelligence (PhD by Published Works awarded 2003)
- Second Supervisor George Chouliaras:A technocrat's view on e-democracy; the case of internet as an engagement factor in success for enhanced participative democracy
- Third Supervisor Nermeen Magdi: Trust and E-Privacy in E-Commerce Transactions
- BIS4425 - Regulation of Electronic Commerce and Information Technology
- BIS4600 - Legal and Professional Aspects of Digital Forensics
- LAW1999 - Law for Computing
- Principal Lecturer
- Programme Leader -MSc Electronic Security and Digital Forensics
- Research Convenor - ALERT (Aspects of Law & Ethics Related to Technlogy) research group
- Chair - School of Science and Technology Ethics Committee
Personal Web Page:
- George, C, Duquenoy, P, & Whitehouse, D. (Eds),eHealth: Legal, Ethical and Governance Challenges, Springer-Verlag, Germany, August2012
- Duquenoy, P., George, C., & Kimppa K., (Eds.),Ethical, Legal and Social Issues in Medical Informatics, IGI Global, USA, June 2008.
- George, C (2012),The Internet and pharmaceutical drugs in the era of interoperable eHealth systems across the European Union, in Carlisle George, Diane Whitehouse and Penny Duquenoy (eds). eHealth: Legal, Ethical and Governance Challenges, Springer-Verlag.
- George, C,Whitehouse, D, and Duquenoy(2012),Assessing legal, ethical and Governance challenges in eHealth, in Carlisle George, Diane Whitehouse and Penny Duquenoy (eds).eHealth: Legal, Ethical and Governance Challenges, Springer-Verlag.
- Whitehouse, D ,George, Cand Duquenoy, P(2011),eHealth: legal, ethical, and governance challenges - an overview, in Jordanova, M. and F. Lievens Global Telemedicine and eHealth Updates: Knowledge Resources, Vol 4, 2011. Luxembourg: ISfTeH, pp423-428.
- Bercic, B & George, C. (2009),Identifying personal data using relational database design principles, International Journal of Law and Information Technology, Volume 23, Issue 3, November 2009.
- Boštjan Bercic, B & George, C (2009), Investigating the legal protection of data, information and knowledge under the EU data protection regime, International Review of Law Computers and Technology, Vol. 23, No. 3, November 2009
- Abeysinghe, G., Georgiadou, E & George, C (2009), Ensuring Quality in academic programmes: The Programme Leader. Proceedings of the International Conference on Quality Enhancement: Experience, Challenges and Perspectives for Armenian Higher Education, Yerevan (Armenia), 5-6 October, 2009
- George, C (2009), Internet Pharmacies: Global Threat Requires a Global Approach to Regulation, Telehealth Law, March 2009, Volume 9, Issue 3, Canada [Reprint]
- Duquenoy, P, George C and Solomonides, A. (2008), Considering something 'ELSE': Ethical, Legal and Socio-economic factors in medical imaging and medical informatics. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Vol. 92/3, pp 228-238, 2008.
- George C. & Duquenoy, P. (2008),Online Medical Consultations: legal, ethical and social perspectives in Duquenoy, P., George, C., Kimppa K., (Eds.) Ethical, Legal and Social Issues in Medical Informatics, IGI Global, USA, June 2008.
- Bercic, B & George, C. (2008),Compiling medical data into national medical databases - legitimate practice or data protection concern? in Duquenoy, P., George, C., Kimppa K., (Eds.) Ethical, Legal and Social Issues in Medical Informatics, IGI Global, USA, June 2008.
- George, C. (2008),Managing social irresponsibility in cyberspace: the walled garden approach. The 11th international symposium - Management and social responsibility, (SymOrg2008), September 10-13, 2008, Belgrade, Serbia.
- Jahankhani, H & George, C (2008),Challenges of identity theft in the information society. In Sylvia M Kierkegaard (Ed), Synergies and conflicts in Cyberlaw, The 3rd International Conference on Legal, Security and Privacy Issues in IT (LSPI), Prague, Czech Republic, September 3-5, 2008.
- George, C. (2008),Illegal Activities, preventative technologies & ISP immunity: Where should the buck stop? BILETA 2008 Annual Conference, Glasgow Caledonian University, UK, 27-28 March 2008.
- George, C & Skerri, J. (2007),Web 2.0 and User-Generated Content Online: the new frontier. Journal of Information, Law & Technology, 2007, Issue 2
- Futre, D, George, C and Coathup, R. (2007), Players"; Image Management in the UK Football Industry, 15th Congress of the European Sports Management Association (EASM 2007), 12-15 September 2007, Torino, Italy.
- Duquenoy, P, George C and Solomonides, A. (2007), What ELSE? Regulation and compliance in medical imaging and medical informatics. Medical Imaging and Informatics (MIMI 2007) conference, August 14-16, 2007, Empark Grand Hotel, Beijing, China.
- Bercic, B & George, C. (2007),Data protection and database theory - applying database design principles to personal data identification. BILETA 2007 Annual Conference, April 16th & 17th 2007, Hertfordshire University.
- George, C & Scerri, J. (2007),User-generated Content Online: Legitimate power or the Wild West? BILETA 2007 Annual Conference, April 16th & 17th 2007, Hertfordshire University.
- George C. & Duquenoy, P. (2007),Exploring legal & ethical aspects of IPR management in e-learning. Proceedings of the IPR in E-Learning, Workshop/Conference, 20th April 2007. British Computer Society London Office.
- George, C (2007), Introduction to Part I (Technology and Democracy - view on the IS), in Philippe Goujon, Sylvain Lavelle, Penny Duquenoy, Kai Kimpa and Veronique Laurent.(Eds.), The Information Society: Innovation, Legitimacy, Ethics and Democrac in honor of Professor Jacques Berleur s.j., Springer, 2007.
- George, C. (2007),Regulatory challenges in the era of the convergency of telecommunications, broadcasting and information technology, 15th Telecommunications Forum, TELFOR 2007, 20th - 22nd November 2007, Sava Centre, Belgrade, Serbia.
- George, C. (2007),Legal Challences of Cybercime Workshop on Cybercrime, 15th Telecommunications Forum, TELFOR 2007, 20th - 22nd November 2007, Sava Centre, Belgrade, Serbia.
- George, C. and Chandak, N (2006),Issues and Challenges in Securing Interoperability of DRM Systems in the Digital Music Market. International Review of Law, Computers & Technology, Volume 20, No.3, pp 271-285, November 2006.
- George, C (2006),Internet Pharmacies: global threat requires a global approach to regulation, Hertfordshire Law Journal, Volume 4, Issue 1, pp12-25, June 2006.
- Colleste, G., Duquenoy, P., George, C., Hedström, K., Kimppa, K., and Mordini, E., (2006), ICT in Medicine and Health Care: Assessing Social, Ethical and Legal issues, in IFIP International Federation for Information Processing, Volume 223, Social Informatics: An Information Society for All? In Remembrance of Rob Kling, eds, Berleur, J., Numinen, M. I., Impagliazzo, J., (Bostan: Springer) , pp 297-308.
- Georgiadou, E & George, C. (2006),Information Systems Failures: Can we make professionals more responsible? In R Dawson, E Georgiadou, P Linecar , M Ross and S Staples ( Eds), Software Quality Management XIV, Perspectives in Software Quality, Proceedings of the 14th International Software Quality Management (SQM) conference, 10-12th April 2006, Southampton Solent University, Southampton UK, (British Computer Society), pp 257-266.
- George, C.E. (2006),IPR- Licences and other contracts in E-Learning. Proceedings of the IPR in E-Learning, Workshop/Conference, 21st March 2006. British Computer Society London Office, MU Press: London.
- Bacsich, P., Bakry, W., Davis, G., Duquenoy, P., George, C., and Weldon, J., (2006),Managing IPR in a successful e-learning enterprise: The Global Campus, Middlesex University, UK. Proceedings of the IPR in E-Learning, Workshop/Conference, 21st March 2006. British Computer Society London Office, MU Press: London.
- Ndeti, M & George, C.E (2005),Pursuing Electronic Health: A UK Primary Health Care Perspective. In M. Funabashi and A Grzech (Eds), Challenges of Expanding Internet: E-Commerce, E-Business, and E-Government: Proceedings of the 5th IFIP Conference on e-Commerce, e-Business, and e-Government (I3e'2005), October 28-30 2005, Poznan, Poland, USA: Springer.
- George, C.E, and Duquenoy, P (2005),Online Medical Consultations: Are we Heading in the Right Direction? Proceedings of the Eight ETHICOMP International Conference on the Social and Ethical Impacts of Information and Communication Technologies, 12th to 15th September 2005, Linköping, Sweden.
- George, C.E. (2005),Copyright Management Systems - Assessing the Power Balance. In Chris Zielinski, Penny Duquenoy and Kai Kimpaa (eds) The Information Society: Emerging Lanscapes, IFIP International Conference on Landscapes of ICT and Social Accountability, Turku, Finland, June 27-29, 2005, USA: Springer.
- George, C.E. (2005),Online Healthcare - Internet Pharmacies may not be Good for your Health. In Chris Zielinski, Penny Duquenoy and Kai Kimpaa (eds) The Information Society: Emerging Lanscapes, IFIP International Conference on Landscapes of ICT and Social Accountability, Turku, Finland, June 27-29, 2005, USA: Springer.
- George, C.E.(2005),Data Protection - Peeking Over the Study Cubicle Online! JISC Conference on Legal Issues of Online Learning Environments, 31st May-2 June 2005, Scarman House, University of Warwick, UK.
- Chandak, N & George, C.E. (2005),Can iTunes be weTunes? - Is FairPlay Playing Fair? BILETA 2005 Annual Conference, April 6th & 7th 2005, Queens University Belfast.
- George, C.E (2002),Using Visualisation to Aid Program Construction Tasks. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCSE 2002 Conference, Feb 27 - March 3, 2002, Covington, Kentucky, USA.
- Holmboe, C., McIver, L., George, C.E (2001),Research Agenda for Computer Science Education. Proceedings of the 13th Annual Workshop of the Psychology of Programming Interest Group (PPIG 2001), 17-20 April 2001, Bournemouth, UK.
- George, C.E (2000),Evaluating a Pedagogic Innovation: Execution Models & Program Construction Ability. Proceedings of the 1st Annual Conference of the LTSN Centre for Information and Computer Sciences, LTSN-ICS Heriot-Watt, Edinburgh, UK.
- George, C.E. (2000),Experiences with Novices: The Importance of Graphical Representations in Supporting Mental Models. Proceedings of the 12th Annual Workshop of the Psychology of Programming Interest Group, 10th -13th April 2000, Corigliano, Calabro, Cosenza, Italy.
- George, C.E. (2000),EROSI - Visualizing Recursion and Discovering New Errors. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCSE 2000 Conference, pp 305 - 309, March 8-12, 2000, Austin, Texas, USA.
- Hall, L & George, C.E (1999),Law and punishment in Virtual Communities. Proceedings of the Exploring Cyber Society Conference, 5th-7th July 1999, Volume1, University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK.