Dr Chunxia Jiang
PhD in Economics; MSc Money, Banking and Finance; BA Accounting; ACCA affiliate
Main research interests:
Bank Efficiency and Productivity; Competition and Stability; Corporate Governance; Banking Reform in Transitioinal and developing countries, Economic Growth and Financial development.
Referee of academic journals:
Referee to Journal of Banking and Finance, European Journal of Operational Research, Cambridge Journal of Economics, China Economic Review, World Economy, International Journal of the Economics of Business, Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, and Emerging Markets Finance and Trade.
Grants and Awards
July 2011, British Academy Small Grant (SG110090) for a project “Banking competition, efficiency, and financial stability in China”.
Positions in other institutions
Visiting researcher at BOFIT, Bank of Finland, 2013.
ECS4015 Banking Theory and Practice; ECS3335 Finanical Risk Management in Banking; ECS2290Trade and International Business
Articles and chapters in Edited Books
- Chunxia Jiang and Shujie Yao, (2010) “Cost-Profit Efficiency and Governance Effects of Commercial Banks in China: 1995-2005” in Sustainable reform and development in post-Olympic China, ed by Shujie Yao, Bin Wu, Stephen L. Morgan and Dylan. Sutherland, page 123-27. RoutledgeCurzon, London.
- Chunxia Jiang, Shujie Yao, Genfu Feng, G. and Dirk Willenbockel, (2006). “WTO Challenges and Efficiency of Chinese Banks” in Globalisation, competition and growth in China, ed. by Shujie Yao and Jian Chen, page 57-76, RoutledgeCurzon, London.
- Bank Ownership, Privatization, and Performance: Evidence from a Transition Country, Journal of Banking and Finance, with Shujie Yao and Genfu Feng, forthcoming.
- Corporate governance and bank performance in China, The Journal of Chinese Economic & Business Studies, Vol. 10, No. 2, 131–146(2012) with Genfu Feng, Jianhua Zhang.
- The Effects of Governance Changes on Bank Efficiency in China: A Stochastic Distance Function Approach, China Economics Review, Volume 20 (4) 717-731 (2009) with Shujie Yao, Zongyi Zhang.
- WTO Challenges and Efficiency of Chinese Banks, Applied Economics, Volume 39(5) 629-643 (2007) with Shujie Yao; Genfu Feng and Dirk Willenbockel.
- An empirical analysis of corporate governance, risk taking, and performance,Journal of Financial Research《金融研究》, forthcoming with Shujie Yao, Genfu Feng. The Journal is the top Finance journal in China.
- Banking reform and Efficiency in China: 1995-2008”,Economic Research Journal 《经济研究》 46 (8), 4-14 (2011) with Shujie Yao, Genfu Feng.
- Efficiency Analysis of the Chinese Commercial Banks, Economic Research Journal 《经济研究》39(8), 415 (2004), with Shujie Yao and Genfu Feng. The Journal is the top Economics journal in China.
Papers under revision
- Risk taking, concentration, and bank performance: evidence from emerging economies, with Jianhua Zhang, Baozhi Qu, Peng Wang.
Working papers in process
- The nexus between bank efficiency, competition and financial stability: evidence from China, with Shujie Yao.
- Does competition measurement matter in bank efficiency study? An evaluation of competition measures, with Shujie Yao,Michela Vecchi.
- Banking competition and financial stability in emerging market, with Jianhua Zhang, Peng Wang.
- Competition and Stability in Banking: Evidence from China, at the 5th IFCCS conference, 7-9 August 2012, Beijing University of Technology, Beijing (with Shujie Yao).
- Research on the performance appraisal of financial institutions,invited speaker at the 20th Anniversary Conference of the Banking Accounting Society of China (BASC, an affiliation of the Central Bank of China), 4 July 2012, Beijing.
- Risk taking, concentration, and bank performance: evidence from emerging economies,at the 10thINFINITI Conference on International Finance, 11-12 June 2012, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland(with Jianhua Zhang, Baozhi Qu, Peng Wang)
- Bank Ownership, Privatization, and Performance: Evidence from a Transition Country , at (1) the 10 th INFINITI Conference on International Finance, 11-12 June 2012, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland; (2) the 2nd International FEBS Conference 2012, 7- 8 June, 2012 at the ESCP Europe London. (with Shujie Yao)
- Corporate governance and bank performance in China, paper presented to 23 CEA annual conference, 2-3 April 2012, SOAS University of London, UK (with Genfu Feng and Jianhua Zhang).
- Bank ownership, privatization and performance in China: 1995-2010, The 4th International Forum for Contemporary Chinese Studies (IFCCS5), 11-13 Sep 2011, University of Nottingham, UK (with Shujie Yao).
- Banking Reform and Efficiency:1995-2008，paper presented at EWG-EPA (European Working Group-Efficiency and Productivity Analysis) Conference in Greece, July, 2010 (with Shujie Yao, Genfu Feng)
- Profit Efficiency and Cost Efficiency of banks in China and the Effects of Governance Changes, paper presented to 19th Chinese Economic Association annual conference, Cambridge, April, 2008 (with Shujie Yao).
- The Effects of Governance Changes on Bank Efficiency in China: A Stochastic Distance Function Approach, paper presented to paper presented to 18th Chinese Economic Association annual conference, April, 2007 (with Shujie Yao).
- On the efficiency of Chinese banks and WTO challenges, paper presented to Emerging Markets Finance Conference 5-6 May 2005, Cass Business School, City University (with Shujie Yao).
- WTO Challenges and Efficiency of Chinese Banks, paper presented to 15th Chinese Economic Association annual conference, April, 2004 (with Shujie Yao). The paper won the best paper award.