Dr David Etherington
Prior to academic, research and teaching, David worked in local government as a Senior Policy Officer including 10 years (1984-1994) at Sheffield City Council within the Planning and Economic Development directorate where he was involved with developing economic and social regeneration policies for the city. Since 1994 he has been working in the University sector, as a Senior Lecturer in Economic Geography at Huddersfield University and following this completed his PhD at the Open University. After completing his PhD, David was appointed as Principal Researcher in Centre for Economic and Development Research (in 2005) and has been involved as both leader and senior researcher in developing research in comparative welfare and active labour market policy with a specific interest on the Danish and Nordic models. Other research interests include employment and skills policy, economic governance, and social inclusion. Examples of research include devolution, regional governance and the economic needs of deprived localities (for the Joseph Rowntree Foundation), Welfare Reforms, Job rotation and active labour market policies for people with long term health problems in EU (funded by the British Academy), and Quality of Work and Life in a Changing Europe (for the European Commission 2006-2009) and a research project on the role of the trade unions on the Sector Skills Councils completed in 2010 and funded by the Wales Institute of Social Research and Data Methods. Recent projects include a 15 country study for the European Commission 'Renewing VET provision: Understanding feedback mechanisms between initial VET and the labour market'. http://www.cedefop.europa.eu/EN/Files/5537_en.pdf
The report was published in November. David is currently (2013-2014)working on two projects an Economic and Social Research Council funded research on the ‘Politics of conditional rights in social policy in the United States of America (USA) and the United Kingdom (UK)’. The research is led by Dr Anne Daguerre in the Business School. The second project involves a comparative study of activation policies for disabled people in the UK and Denmark focusing upon disabled people as actors in the service delivery process. This work is undertaken with Professor Thomas Bredgaard at Aalborg University in Denmark.
- Disabled people as actors: a comparative study of activation policies in the UK and Denmark (on going 2013-2014 various funding sources)
- Renewing VET provision: Understanding feedback mechanisms between initial VET and the labour market (European Commission, Cedefop, 2011-2013)
- Understanding the experiences of PDCS customers engaged with the formal complaints process, (Department of Work and Pensions,2011)
- Negotiating skills for sustainable growth: the role of trade unions on the Sector Skills Councils(Wales Institute of Social Research and Data Methods, 2010)
- Employing IB claimants in Ealing PCT and London Borough of Ealing: A feasibility study into developing a Job Rotation Pilot, (Ealing Primary Care NHS Trust, London, 2009)
- Quality of Work and Life in a Changing Europe (EU Framework 6 Programme) (2006-2009)
- Job Rotation and Welfare Reforms (British Academy).(2008)
RECENT PUBLICATIONS (SINCE 2000)
- Etherington, D. (2008) New Welfare Spaces: labour market policies in the UK and Denmark, Saarbruchen: VDM Dr Mueller
- North, D., Syrett, S. and Etherington, D. (2007) Devolution and Regional Governance: Tackling the Economic Needs of Deprived Localities, Joseph Rowntree Foundation, York.
Articles and Chapters in Edited Books:
- Beham B Etherington D and Rodrigues E (2011) Quality of Work-Life Balance among Different Occupational Groups in M Back-Wicklund T van der Lippe L den Dulk and A van Doorne-Huiskes (eds) Quality of Life and Work: a Comparison of Women and Men Working in the Service Sector Across Europe, Basingstoke: Palgrave
- Etherington D and Jones M (2011) City Regions: New Geographies of Uneven Development and Inequality in M Neumann and A Hull (eds) The Futures of the City Region, Routledge/Regional Studies Association
- Etherington, D. (2004 ) The Politics of the Jobs Gap and Activation: Future Directions for Labour Market Policy in the UK and Denmark, in Henning Jorgensen, Herman Knudsen and Jens Lind, eds. Labour and employment regulation in Europe, Brussels: PIE Peter Lang.
- Etherington, D. (2004) Gender, Welfare Regimes and Social Mobilisation: Comparative Reflections on the UK and Denmark, in J. Andersen and B. Siim, eds. Politics of Inclusion and Empowerment - a gender and citizenship perspective, London: Palgrave. pp 186-205.
Academic Refereed Journal Articles:
- Ingold, J. and Etherington, D. (2013) Work, welfare and gender inequalities: an analysis of activation strategies for partnered women in the UK, Australia and Denmark, Work Employment and Society, 27(4):621-638
- Etherington, D. and Ingold, J. (2012) Welfare to work and the inclusive labour market: A comparative study of activation policies for disability and long term sickness benefit claimants in the UK and Denmark Journal of European Social Policy, 30, (1): 22-44
- Etherington D and Jones M (2009) City Regions and New Geographies of Uneven Development and Inequality, Regional Studies, 43,2, 247-265
- Jones M and Etherington D (2009) Governing the Skills Agenda: Insights from the Sheffield City Region, Local Economy 24:1 68-79
- North, D., Syrett, D., & Etherington, D. ‘Tackling concentrated worklessness: integrating governance and policy across and within spatial scales’ Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Vol. 27 (6). 2009 (published on line 9/09)
- Cochrane A and Etherington, D (2007) Managing local labour markets and making up new spaces of welfare, Environment and Planning A 39 2958-2974.
- Cole, I and Etherington D (2005) Neighbourhood Renewal Policy and Spatial Differentiation in Housing Markets: Recent Trends in England and Denmark European Journal of Housing Policy 5,1, 77-97.
- Etherington, D. and Jones, M. (2004) Welfare-through-work and the re-regulation of labour markets in Denmark, Capital and Class, 83, 19-46.
- Etherington, D. and Jones, M. (2004) Whatever Happened to Local Government ? Labour Market Policy in the UK and Denmark, Policy and Politics 32 no 2, 137-50. Etherington, D. and Jones, M. (2004) Beyond contradictions of the workfare state ?: Denmark,welfare-through-work, and the promises of job-rotation, Environment and Planning C: Government andPolicy 22, 129-148 .
- 'Renewing VET provision: Understanding feedback mechanisms between initial VET and the labour market' http://www.cedefop.europa.eu/EN/Files/5537_en.pdf
- Syrett S Etherington D Ekanem I and Macaulay P (2011) Understanding the experiences of PDCS customers engaged with the formal complaints process, Department of Work and Pensions, Research Report No. 770
- Etherington D (2011) Cities, Labour Migration and Social Exclusion: Comparative Reflections on Developments in Europe and China, in R Croucher, P Li and H Okano Chinese Cities for the Outside World: A Workshop for City Culture and Society, Osaka: Osaka City University
- Etherington D (2010) Negotiating skills for sustainable growth: the role of trade unions on the Sector Skills Councils, Middlesex University.
- Daguerre A with Etherington D (2009) Active labour market policies in international context: what works best? Lessons for the UK, Department of Work and Pensions Working Paper No 59
- CEEDR (2009) Mystery Shopping: the early stages of the Business Link Services, Report to the Business Innovation and Skills, London BIS (with Baldock, R., North, D., Etherington, D., & Ekanem I.)
- CEEDR/ University of Birmingham (2009) Alternative Approaches to Capacity Building: Practices in the Public and Private Sectors, London Capacity Builders.
- Etherington D with Coyne P (2009) Employing IB claimants in Ealing PCT and London Borough of Ealing: A feasibility study into developing a Job Rotation Pilot, Research Report to Ealing Primary Care Trust, London, Middlesex University
- 2006-2009 Quality of Life in a Changing Europe (European Commission DG Research Framework 6 C Etherington, D, Lewis, S, and Mark, A, (2008) United Kingdom: report on emerging themes from the interviews,http://www.projectquality.org/files/pdf_D4.1_UKpdf
- Lewis S Etherington D Mark A and Brookes M (2008) Comparative Report on the Innovation Groups, London: Middlesex University Business School
- Syrett, S North, D., Baldock. R, Etherington D and Engelbert (2008) Local Area Agreements (LAAs) and Local Economic Development, Report completed for Regeneration and Economic Development Analysis (REDA), DCLG by Centre for Enterprise and Economic Development Research (CEEDR), Middlesex University, November 2008
- Syrett S, Baldock, R. Bertotti, M. Lyon, Etherington, D. Engelbert, S .2007 Review of Economic Assessments and Strategic Activity at the Local and Sub Regional Level, Report for Neighbourhoods, Cities and Regions Analysis of the Department of Communities and Local Government, 2005 -2007 Devolution and regional governance: tackling the economic needs of deprived localities ( Joseph Rowntree Foundation )
- North, D., Syrett, S. and Etherington, D. (2007) Devolution and Regional Governance: Tackling the Economic Needs of Deprived Localities, Joseph Rowntree Foundation, York. 1-119
- North, D., Syrett, S. and Etherington, D. (2007) Devolved Governance and the Economic Problems of Deprived Areas: The Cases of Scotland, Wales and four English Regions, Joseph Rowntree Foundation, York. North, D., Syrett, S. and Etherington, D. (2007) Interventions to tackle the Economic Needs of Deprived Areas: Analysis of Six Policy Case Studies, Joseph Rowntree Foundation, York
- Etherington D (2013) From de-industrialised to an up skilled city? Assessing the neoliberal politics of economic governance in Sheffield, Paper to “Cities regeneration processes: the role of entrepreneurs, residents and tourists” Sept. 19& 20, 2013 University of Le Havre.
- Etherington D and Ingold J (2012) Negotiating ‘welfare to work’: a comparative study of people on disability and long term sickness benefits in the UK, Denmark and the Netherlands FAPE/HEN/IIPPE Conference in Paris 5-8 July 2012.
- Etherington D (2011) Welfare to Work and Social Inequalities in de-industrialised Cities: An Assessment of Devolved Policies in Sheffield Presentation to Regional Studies Association Conference Localism Sufficient and Fit for Purpose? Manchester, 3 November 2011.
- Etherington D and Jones M (2009) Governance Geographies of Vocational Training and Employability in the EU, paper to the ETUI/Aspen Conference, Activation and Security, Brno, Czech Republic, 20-21 March 2009.
- Etherington D Syrett S and North D (2008) Tackling Concentrated Worklessness: Integrating Governance and Policy Across and Within Spatial Scales, Regional Studies Association Conference “Working Regions” London, November 28, 2008.
- Etherington D and Jones M (2008) World Class Skills? Governance Geographies and the Delivery of Life Long Learning in the EU, Paper to RSA Working Group, Employability and Labour Market Policy European (and International ) Perspectives, Faculty of Political and Social Sciences, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, 7 March 2008.
- North, D Syrett S and Etherington D (2007) Tackling Concentrated Worklessness in Deprived Localities: Integrating Interventions Across Spatial Scales, Paper presented at the Regional Studies Association,Working Group’s seminar on Employability and Labour Market Policy in European Perspective, Edinburgh, 4-5 October, 2007
- Etherington, D (2007) Devolution, Regional Governance and the Economic Needs of Deprived Areas, CRESR Seminar Series Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research, Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, 10 October 2007
- Etherington, D and Jones M (2007) City Regions, Competitiveness and Labour Market Inequalities, Conference on Performing Regions/Regional Performance: Regions and Regionalism in and beyond Europe, Institute for Advanced Studies, Lancaster University, 17-19 September 2007
- Etherington, D (2007) Welsh Assembly Government Want2Work Pilot: A Different Path to Labour Market Policy? Preliminary Findings Paper to Community Work and Family Conference : Making the Connections in a Global Context, Lisbon 12-14 April, 2007
- Etherington D and Andersen, J (2006) Not networks but political mobilisation? The new urban governance and the inclusive labour market in European cities, Paper to European Urban and Regional Studies Conference, Roskilde, Denmark, 21-22 September, 2006.
- Etherington, D, (2005a) Poverty, Low Pay and Worklessness in Sheffield: Proposals for Change, report presented to the Employment Advisory Board, Sheffield First for Learning and Work, 19 January, 2005, Sheffield.
- Etherington D, (2005b) Economic competitiveness and social inclusive labour market policies: lessons from the UK and Denmark, Paper to EU Compete Conference “Human Resources – Motor of City Region Competitiveness,”Dortmund, 28-30 September 2005.
- Etherington D (2005c) “Nice work if you can get it:” labour regulation and low pay in a de-industrialised city, Paper to a Centre for Enterprise and Economic Development Research Seminar, Middlesex University Business School, Hendon, London, 14 December 2005.
- Etherington,D.North,D and Syrett, S (2005) RDAs and the new focus on deprived and sustainable communities – rhetoric or reality? Regional Studies Association Annual Conference, ‘Sustainable Regions: Making Regions Work’, London Voluntary Sector Resource Centre, 24th November 2005
- Public Sector
- Employment Relations
- Labour Market Policies
- Economic Governance
- Employment Relations