Dr Hemda Garelick
BSc, MSc, PhD
- Health and hygiene aspects of water and sanitation systems
- Isolation and identification of viruses and bacterial indicators from water and wastewater.
- Health aspects of chemical and microbial pollution (e.g. the fate of antibiotic resistant microorganisms in the environment and in food)
- Bioremediation options and solutions for environmental pollution (e.g. the role of biofilms in the remediation of hydrocarbon pollution)
- Remediation technologies for the removal of arsenic from water and wastewater (e.g. the use of hydroxylapatite and bone-char for arsenic remediation)
- Enzymatic degradation of prion proteins by proteolytic microorganisms isolated from activated sludge.
- Antibiotic-resistance in Campylobacters isolated from chicken raised on both intensive and organic farms and the associated risks to human health
- The abundance of antibiotic resistance in indicator Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria in wastewater effluent and natural waters
- The use of immunoassays in environmental virology
- The development of an inactivated hepatitis A vaccine
The seroepidemiology of the measles vaccination
- Environmental microbiology
- Food microbiology
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Research methods
Links to current projects
IUPAC project: Remediation technologies for the removal of arsenic from water and wastewater http://www.iupac.org/projects/2003/2003-017-2-600.html
- Research methods
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine
- Titular member, International Union of Pure and Applied Chemists (IUPAC) - Division of Chemistry and the Environment
- Member of The Society of General Microbiology
- Member of The Society for Applied Microbiology
- Member of The International Association on Water Quality
- Member, International Union of Pure and Applied Chemists (IUPAC) - Subcommittee on Chemistry of Environmental Compartments
- Executive Member, Committee of Heads of Environmental Science (CHES)
- Member of the Institute of Learning and Teaching.
- Soonthornchaikul N, Garelick H, Jones H, Jacobs J, Ball D and Choudhury M. (2006). Resistance to three antimicrobial agents of Campylobacter isolated from intensively and organically reared chickens purchased from retail outlets. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 27:125-130
- Sneddon R, Garelick H, Valsami-Jones E. (2005). Arsenic (V) removal from aqueous solutions by hydroxylapatite bone char. Mineralogical Magazine 69(5):769-780.
- Garelick H, Dybowska A, Valsami-Jones E and Priest N. (2005). Remediation Technologies for Arsenic Contaminated Drinking Waters. Journal of Soils Sediments. 5 (3):182-190
- Garelick H, Bollinger JC, Caussy DH, Dybowska A, Ellis JB, Feldman J, Jones H, Khoda B, Priest N, Shevah Y, Valsami-Jones E, Visoottiviseth P. (2005). Remediation technologies for the removal of arsenic from water and wastewater. Presented at the IUPAC General Assembly. August 2005, Beijing, China.
- Omari K, Revitt M, Shutes B and Garelick H. (2003). Hydrocarbon removal in an experimental gravel bed constructed wetland. Water Science and Technology. 48(5):275-281
- Egli H, Dassenakis M, Garelick H, van Grieken R, Peijnenburg WJGM, Klasinc L, Kouml;rdel W, Priest N, Tavares T. (2003). Minimum requirements for reporting analytical data for environmental samples. Pure and Applied Chemistry. 75(8):1097-1106
- Garelick H, Danvers J, Fedarb S. (2000). The efficacy of water disinfection tablets available for travellers. Issues in Health and Environment. 1(2): 30-41
- Amoroacute;s I, Connon R, Garelick H, Alonso JL, Carrasco JM. (2000). An Assessment of the Toxicity of Some Pesticides and Their Metabolites Affecting A Natural Aquatic Environment Using the Microtox System. Water Science Technology. 42 (1-2):19-24