Heather Mary Deegan
BA MA PhD
My research interests include both Middle Eastern and African areas. My former publications on democracy and democratization led to the award of Nuffield Foundation funding to examine the democratic transition in South Africa. Previous work ('Third Worlds', Routledge 1996) explored the relationship between Africa and the Middle East. As a consequence of that study, I conducted research in Sudan in 1997 and published works on that country?s politics and on-going conflict. I have completed two books on the continuing democratic process and socio-politico transformation of South Africa. In 2000 I was awarded a grant from the British Academy to examine the extent to which communities participated in the local elections in South Africa and articles and papers have resulted from that research.
In 2002 I was invited to become an Associate Fellow of the Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House, and lead their 'Elections in Africa Series'. My objective is to cover the democratic experience in African states by focusing on how elections function and a number of specialist Briefing Papers appear on the Institute?s website. Last year I was invited to join a research project on 'Barriers to Modernisation and Democratisation in the Islamic World' at the Center for Strategic International Studies, Washington, DC which resulted from recognition of former research I have conducted into the issue.
Current areas of work
Various undergraduate degree modules including, Comparative Politics, Middle East the International System; Politics Foundation. Since 1998 I have been Programme Leader of the MA International Relations and I teach the core modules Principles and Practice of International Relations and Research Skills.
1978 BA (Hons) Economic History (Major) and Politics (Minor) University of East Anglia, Norwich. 2.1 Jan 1980 MA (by thesis) 'The Spanish Civil War and the Labour Party' University of Keele (Funded: Economic and Social Science Research Council Scholarship) 1984 Ph.D. 'British Party Policy- Palestine 1937-1950: A Case Study' University of Keele, Staffordshire (Funded: Economic and Social Science Research Council Scholarship) Arabic. Institute of Linguists Grade 1.
- 1993 - Middlesex University, Senior Lecturer/Reader
- 1992-1993 Visiting Lecturer, Division of Social Science and Law, University of Hertfordshire
- 1987-1992 Lecturer in Politics, Department of International Relations and Politics, Staffordshire University
- 1984-1987 Temporary Lecturer in Politics, Department of Politics, University of Keele
- 1983-1985 Lecturer, Department of Adult Education, University of Keele
- 1970-1972 Trust Investment Evaluator, Messrs Coutts Co. Strand, London,
Single - Authored Books
- 2010. Politics: South Africa (Pearson) (November publication)
- 2008.Africa Today: Culture, Economics, Religion, Security (Routledge) Isbn 978-0-415-41884-3
- 2001. The Politics of the New South Africa: Apartheid and After (Longman/Pearson) Isbn 0582 382270
- 1998. South Africa Reborn: Building a Democracy (University College London Press/Taylor Francis) Isbn 1-85728-710X
- 1996. Third Worlds:The Middle East and Africa (Routledge) Isbn 0 415 12219 8
- 1993. The Middle East and Problems of Democracy (Open University Press/Lynne Reinner, USA) Isbn 0 335 15686 X
Refereed Articles and Chapters
- 1994 "Staatsangehorigkeit und ethnische Minoritaten in drei europaischen Staaten", "Auslander und Aussleidler-Anforderungen an die Bundesrepublik Deuschland",special edition of Informationen zur Raumentwicklung. (with Blanc)
- 1996 "Citizenship, Nationality and Ethnic Minorities in Three European Nations", in "Cities and Citizenship", special edition of International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, (with Blanc), March.
- 1997 "Grassroots Democracy and participation: a new analytical and practical approach", Society and Space, Vol 15.
- 1999 "Cultural Identity of ethnic Minorities in the EU", Third Way/Tierce Facon, April.
- 2000 "Ethnic Minority Experience in EU Countries", The Runnymede Bulletin , (with Wistrich)
Chapters in Books
- 1996 "Some Comparative Aspects of Ethnicity and Citizenship" in M. Martiniello (1996) Migration, Citizenship and National Identities in the European Union, Aldershot, Avebury (with M. Blanc).
- 1996 "Citoyennete et Ethnicite en Allemagne, France et Grande-Bretagne", in M. Blanc, G. Didier and A. Flye Sainte Marie (eds) "Immigres en Europe: le defi citoyen ", l"Harmattan, Paris (with M. Blanc). ISBN 2-7384-4120-3
- 1997 "Citizenship and Social Exclusion in the European Union", in M. Roche and R. van Berkel (eds) European Citizenship and Social Exclusion, Avebury, Aldershot (with E. Wistrich).ISBN 1 85972 659 3
- 2002 "Grassroots Democracy , participation and professional autonomy" in as G Szell and W Ehlert (eds), New Democracy and Old Societies in Europe, Vol 1 of series Work, Organisation , Berne, Peter Lang, (with Blanc and Storrie).