Prof John McIlroy
- Employment relations
- Labour history
- Recent developments in British trade unionism
- State and management attitudes to training.
- Gary Daniels and John McIlroy (eds), Trade Unions in a Neoliberal World: British Trade Unions under New Labour (Routledge, 2009)
- John McIlroy, Alan Campbell and Keith Gildart (eds), Industrial Politics and the 1926 Mining Lockout: The Struggle for Dignity (University of Wales Press, 2003; 2nd edn 2009)
- Alan Campbell, Nina Fishman and John McIlroy (eds), The Post-War Compromise: British Trade Unions and Industrial Politics, 1945-64 (2nd edn, Merlin Press, 2007)
- John McIlroy, Nina Fishman and Alan Campbell (eds), The High Tide of British Trade Unionism: Trade Unions and Industrial Politics, 1964-79 (2nd edn, Merlin Press, 2007).
His work has appeared in a wide range of journals including the British Journal of Industrial Relations, Industrial Relations Journal, Employee Relations, Past and Present, Twentieth Century British History, International Review of Social History, European History Quarterly, American Communist History, Labour/Le Travail and Capital and Class.