Prof Joshua Castellino
B.Comm, MA, PhD
- Public International Law
- Comparative Constitutional Law
- Human Rights
- Minorities and Indigenous Peoples' Rights
- Land Rights and Development
- Public International Law
- Public Law
- Human Rights
- Environmental Law
- Land Law
- Minority Rights in Asia [with Dr. Elvira Dominguez Redondo] (Oxford: Oxford University Press, United Kingdom, May 2006) 281 pp.
- International Law and Title to Territory: A Temporal Analysis Aldershot/Burlington VT: Ashgate Publishers, February 2003, 365 pp. [with S. Allen]
- International Law and Self-determination: The Interplay of the Politics of Territorial Possession with Formulations of Post-Colonial National Identity (The Hague/Boston/London: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2000) 286 pp.
Edited Books:International Law and Indigenous Peoples [co-edited with Walsh N.] Leiden/Boston: Martinus Nijhoff (Raoul Wallenberg Institute Human Rights Library Vol. 20, 2005) 399 pp.
Articles and Chapters in Edited Books:
- 'The "Right" to Land, International Law and Indigenous Peoples' in International Law and Indigenous Peoples [Castellino J and Walsh N. ed 2005] pp. 89-116
- 'Conclusions' in International Law and Indigenous Peoples [Castellino J andWalsh N. ed 2005] pp. 395-399
- 'Conceptual Difficulties and the Right to Indigenous Self-determination' in Minorities, Peoples and Self-determination: Essays in Honour of Patrick Thornberry [Nazila Ghanea and Alexandra Xanthaki eds.] (Leiden/Boston Martinus Nijhoff 2005) pp. 55-74.
- 'Territorial Integrity and the 'Right' to Self-determination: An Examination of Conceptual Tools' in 33(2) Brooklyn Journal of International Law (2008) forthcoming
- 'A Re-Examination of the International Convention for the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination' in 2 Revista Iberoamericana de Derechos Humanos (2006) pp. 1-29
- 'Minority Rights in China: A Legal Overview' in 5 European Journal of Minority Issues (2005) [with Dr. Elvira Domiacute;nguez Redondo] pp. 51-83.
- 'Minority Rights Protection: The Challenge for Human Rights' Seminar to launch a Series on Human Rights amp; Vulnerable Groups, Brunel University, 24th October 2007
- 'International Law, Indigenous peoples and Land Rights: Package of Doctrinal Tools' 52nd Internacional Congreso de Amerianistas, Seville, Spain, 20th July, 2006
- 'Human Rights Law and Cul-de-Sacs: Confronting Limitations to Legal Approaches' for Crossing the Boundaries: The Place for Human Rights in Contemporary Scholarship, Centre for the Study of Human Rights, London School of Economics, London, 24th March 2006
- 'Indigenous Peoples and the Scope for Forgiveness and Reconciliation in International Law: Unpacking the Intertemporal Rule' for The Commonwealth Law Conference 2005, Commonwealth Law Association amp; the Law Society of England amp; Wales, Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre, London 12-15th September.
- 'Ireland and International Law' Correspondent's report, 1 Irish Yearbook of International Law (2007)
- 'Overview of Minorities in Asia and Asia-Pacific' contribution as Regional Editor [with Emma Goodman] to the State of the World's Minorities (London: MRG Publications 2007) pp.74-89
- 'The Duties of Governments in the Context of Extraordinary Renditions' Statement for Amnesty International written as part of duties as Special Rapporteur to the Seminar by the same name held at the National College of Ireland, Dublin, 15th May 2006.
- Revista Iberoamericana de Derechos Humanos (Annual journal published by Iberoamericana Universidad, Mexico D.F. Mexico City)
- Trocaire Development Review (annual journal on development published by Trocaire, Dublin, Ireland).
Honours and Prizes:Adjunct Professor of Law, National University of Ireland, Galway, Republic of Ireland
- American Society of International Law, Ordinary Member, 2007
- British Institute for International and Comparative Law, 2007
- Human Development and Capability Association, 2007
- Commonwealth Lawyers Association, 2007
- Society of Legal Scholars 2007
Links with Partner/Business Organisations:
- Irish Centre for Human Rights, National University of Ireland, Galway, republic of Ireland
- European Inter-University Centre, Venice, Italy
- Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico
- Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing
- Human Rights law Network, India
- Amnesty International