Senior Lecturer in Product Deisgn and Engineering
Associate Director of redLoop: the mdx design and innovation centre [www.redloopdesign.com]
PhD, MA Design, BA (Hons) Design and Technology
'The Development of Conceptual Models for Designing for Co-Design in Mass Customisation'
This research is investigating the customer co-design experience, developing models and tools to inform the emergent task of designing for customer co-design. It uses 'design probes' as part of a mixed-method approach to explore the entirety of the customer co-design experience from co-design to receipt of the product and beyond, bringing together empathic research methods and theories from the field of product design.
Keywords: Mass Customisation, User Centred Design, Empathic Design, Design Probes, Co-Design.
Interests in customer experience, customer journey mapping, design research techniques, mass customisation.
Teaching across BA/BSc Product Design, with contribution to MSc Design Engineering and Manufacturing Management.
- Herd, K., Bardill, A.& Karamanoglu, M. (xxxx). The Co-Design Experience: Conceptual Models and Design Tools for Mass Customisation. In Tseng, M& Piller, F. Advances in Mass Customization and Personalization. Vol 3, Part xx. World Scientific Press (currently in preparation for print)
- Herd, K., Bardill, A. and Karamanoglu, M. (2009). Development of a design probe to reveal customer touch points in the sale of mass customised products. Design Principles and Practice: An International Journal. 3 (3): 193-208
- Bardill, A., Herd, K. and Karamanoglu, M. (2007). 'Product Envelopes: Designing Positive Interplay between Brand DNA and Customer Co-Designers'. International Journal of Mass Customisation. 2, (1/2), p57-75
- Bardill, A., Karamanoglu, M. and Herd, K. (2005). 'Pleasure-based design approaches to the built environment', Municipal Engineer, 158, (3), p183-193
- Herd, K., Bardill, A. & Karamanoglu, M. (2011). Mass customisation. What are we designing? 2011 World Conference on Mass Customization and Personalization. San Francisco, USA, 16-19 November.
- Herd, K., Bardill, A. & Karamanoglu, M. (2009). X-ray specs, stickers and colouring in: seeing beyond the configurator using design probes. 2009 World Conference on Mass Customization & Personalization. Helsinki, Finland, 4-8 October.
- Herd, K., Bardill, A.& Karamanoglu, M. (2007) 'Designing for Co-Design: Using the Product Envelope Model as a Framework for Reflection'. 2007 World Conference on Mass Customization& Personalization. October 7-10, Boston, USA.
- Bardill, A. and Herd, K. (2006) 'Maintaining Positive Interplay between Brand DNA and Customer Co-designers in Mass Customised Products'. International Conference on Strategic Innovation and Creativity in Brand& Design Management. November 29-30, Seoul, Korea.