Alcohol and drugs; race and racism issues (in specific fields and general; social exclusion
Currently working on a major project, investigating race-equality issues relating to treatment for drug misusing offenders inside prisons in particular, and within the criminal justice system as a whole. The study is across nine EU countries and has been funded and supported by the European Commission (September 2007 - May 2010
1979 MSc Economics, Sociology and Politics, Birkbeck College, University of London
1969 BA History, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
- 2008 - Associate, Centre for Transcultural Studies in Health
- 2002-2008 Visiting Academic, Middlesex University
- 1999-2002 Senior Research Fellow, Middlesex University and Coordinator of T3E (UK)
- 1995-1999 Senior Research Fellow, Dept of Sociology, City University, London
- 1988-1994 Residential Services Officer then Assistant Director, Standing Conference on Drug Abuse
- 1970-1988 Teacher, Inner London Education Authority
- Selected publications
- Peer Reviews
- NTA - peer review of four commissioned studies on 'crack' cocaine (2006)
- Druglink Magazine (forthcoming) Drugs World, Klein A
Articles and chapters in edited books
- Khan, K. (2006). One step forward, one step back: The politics of 'race' and drugs and how policy makers interpret things. In R. Lart, P. Higate R. Hughes (eds) Drug Policy and Politics. McGraw Hill: Open University Press.
- Adams N, and Khan K, September 2008, Race, Drugs and Criminal Justice Treatment Services: some early findings, CONNECTIONS Newsletter 2, www.connectionsproject.eu
- Khan, K. (2006, forthcoming). One step forward, one step back: The politics of 'race' and drugs and how policy makers interpret things. In R. Lart, P. Higate R. Hughes (eds) Drug Policy and Politics. McGraw Hill: Open University Press.
- Khan, K. (2008). EUPHA Pre-conference, Migrants and Health, Lisbon, 6 November 2008 - Early findings from the race, drugs and criminal justice CONNECTIONS study/
- Khan, K. (2004). Europe, Racism, Drugs and Migration. Bologna Conference.
- Khan, K. (2004). Removing the Ethnic Blinkers. Workshop at Harm Reduction Conference, London.
- Khan, K. (2004). Race Social Exclusion: Breakaway Group. Social Exclusion Unit Seminar at DPM Office.
- Khan, K. (2004). UK Drug Policy Framework. Seminar, Azores.
- Khan, K. (2004). Social Reintegration. T3E Summer University, Glasgow.
- Ruggiero, V., Khan, K. (2005). British South Asian Drug Networks. Home Office.
- Khan, K. (2002). Culture before client: The wrong way for drugs services. Druglink.
- Khan, K. (2002). Does crack cocaine discriminate? Deconstructing the stereotypes. Bristol Drugs Project Conference Report, BDP.
- Khan, K. (2001). Mapping all available information on social exclusion and drugs: Focusing on minorities across 15 EU member states. EMCDDA.