Prof Malcolm Sargeant
PGCert (HE), BA (Wales), LLB, PhD
Academic Fellow CIPD
My primary research interests relate to discrimination law, in particular to:
- age discrimination at work
- issues relating to age and gender
- vulnerable workers and precarious working
Employment and Discrimination Law
Joint Managing Editor of E-Journal of International and Comparative Labour Studies and member of the Scientific Committees of the journals Diritto Delle Relazione Industriali and Revista Internacional y Comparada de Relaciones Laborales Derecho del Empleo.
- Discrimination and the Law (May 2013) Routledge
- Essentials of Employment Law (2013) (co-authored) 12th edition CIPD
- Age Discrimination (2011) Gower Press
- Age Discrimination in Employment (2007) Gower Press
- Employment Law (2012) (co-authored) 5th editionPearson
- Vulnerable Workers and Precarious Work (June 2013) Cambridge legal Scholars
- Age Discrimination and Diversity (2011) Cambridge University Press
- Vulnerable Workers, Health, Safety and Wellbeing (2011) Gower Publishing
- The Law on Age Discrimination in the EU (2008) Kluwer Law
- Discrimination Law (2004) Longman
- Diverging Doctrine, Converging Outcomes: Evaluating age discrimination law in the United Kingdom and the United States Loyola University Chicago Law Journal 2013 44(3)
- Decent Work, o;lder workers and vulnerability in the economic recession; a comparative study of Australia, the Uk and the US; Employee Rights and Employment Policy Journal (2011) 15(1) 43-121
- Increasing the Employment Rate of Older Workers: European Objectives and US Lessons; co-authored with Prof Susan Bisom-Rapp; International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations 27(3) (2011) 301-314Age Discrimination and the National Minimum Wage (2010)Policy Studies 31(3) 351-36 Health and safety of vulnerable workers: case studies from Canada and the UK co-authored; Policy and Practice in Health and Safety (2009) 7(2) 51-73
- Age discrimination, sexual orientation and gender identity: UK/US perspectives (2009) Equal Opportunities International 28(8) 634-645
- Age discrimination, redundancy payments and length of service Modern Law Review (2009) 72(4) 628-634
- Gender and the Pensions Acts 2007-2008 Industrial Law Journal (2009) 38 143-148
- Older workers and the need for reasonable accommodation (2008) International Journal of the Law of Discrimination 9(3): 163-180
- Age stereotypes and the media Communications Law (2008) vol 13 no 4 119-124
- Women, Poverty and Pensions International Journal of Diversity in Communities, Organisations and Nations (2008)8 (2) 55-62
- Health and safety issues and new forms of employment and work organisationJune (2008) co-authored; International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations vol 24/2 241-259
- Age discrimination regulation: the legitimisation of age discrimination
- Industrial Law Journal 2006 35: 209-227
- TUPE: the last round
- Journal of Business Law September 2006 pp 549-567
- For Diversity: against discrimination - the contradictoryapproach to age discrimination in employment
- International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relationsvol 21/4 629-644 2005
- International Industrial Relations Association World Congress, Sydney, 2009; chaired symposium on health and safety in new forms of work
- 'Age discrimination and young workers' 2009 7thannual conference of Marco Biaggi Foundation, Italy
- 'Age and the media' 2008 World Congress on Ageing Montreal
- 'Reasonable accommodation for older workers' 2008 International Conference on Age, disability and independence, St Petersburg, Florida.
- Labour Protection and Workers' Rights' 2006 paper presented to conference sponsored by Movimento Cristiano Dei Lavoratori, Milan.
- 'The future of Industrial Relations in Europe': 2006 paper on bargaining structures presented at the ADAPT conference, Italy.
- 'Age Discrimination in Employment': 2004 paper presented at a conference on age organised by the Marco Baggio Foundation, University of Modena, Italy.
Externally Funded Projects:
- Funded project on the implementation of the Temporary Agency Workers Directive in a number of member states.
- EC funded project on older people in situations of restructuring; multi national project; UK research and international research 2009
- Funded contract to carry out research for ADAPT - Marco Biaggi International and Comparative Study Centre, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia on international perspectives relating to home workers, teleworkers and economically dependent workers in relation to health and safety 2009
- EU Labour Law Project (2005-2007); investigating the implementation of labour law directives in the member states; Scientific Director.
- Community Action Programme to Combat Discrimination (2003-2006); project co-ordinator for a project to train representatives of NGOs in Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Estonia and Lithuania on disability discrimination in employment.
- Legal Education in Albania Project; World Bank-funded.