Dr Nollaig Frost
C. Psychol, BSc Physics (Liverpool), BSc Psychology (London) Dip Psych Couns. PhD (London)
Current Research includes
Pluralism in Qualitative Research (PQR) project, PI: This study has been running since 2006. Originally funded by Birkbeck then the Qualitative Methods in Psychology Section of the BPS it has held 2 successful national symposia for academics and other qualitative researchers from the UK and Europe. The project has several ongoing smaller projects including a project on the pluralistic analysis of naturalistic text and a study on pluralistic reflexivity. A website for the Network for Pluralism in Qualitative Research (N-PQR) is in development and a national event for the network members (membership currently 200+ researchers) is planned.
StoryME: capturing the student Experience, co-investigator
Other research interests:
- Research Methodology: narrative analysis, pluralism and qualitative approaches, reflexivity, researcher impact, mixed-methods, memory-work, applications to policy-making and clinical practice
- Motherhood: second-time motherhood, identity manitenance and reformulation, employment choices, use of space, cross-cultural comparisons
- Counselling and Psychotherapy: group analysis, family therapy, application of psychoanalytic ideas, psychodynamic principles and practice.
- Mental Health: attitudes towards mental illness, communication processes, constructs of mental illness
Dalaker, R. Stigmatisation and self-stigmatisation of people with mental illness (2010-)
Murphy, A. (Middlesex Studentship) 'The Development of Assessment Tools for Parents with Personality Disorder' (2010- )
- Module Leader: LIfespan Development Psychology(L3)
- Counselling:Theoretical Foundations andCounselling Skills (L1, L3)
- Qualitative Research and Ethics(L1, L2, L3, M Level)
- Mental Health/Mental Illness (L1)
I supervise student dissertations that employ qualitative methodology and am interested in hearing from students who wish to pursue PhDs in the areas of motherhood,mental health and psychoanalytic thinking using qualitative or mixed method approaches.
- Health and Applied Social Psychology Research Group, Middlesex University
- Dept of Psychology Ethics Committee, Middlesex University
- Teaching Qualitative Research Methods at Undergraduate Level (TQRMUL) Working Group, The Higher Education Academy
- Qualitative Methods in Psychology Section, The British Psychological Society
- Psychology of Women Section, The British Psychological Society
- British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy
Frost, N.A & Nolas, S-M (Eds) (forthcoming) Qualitative Research in Psychology, Special issue: Pluralism in Qualitative Research
Frost, N.A, Nolas, S-M, Brooks-Gordon, B., Esin, C., Holt, A., Mehdizadeh, L. & Shinebourne, P. (2010) Pluralism in Qualitative Research: the impact of different researchers and qualitative approaches on the analysis of qualitative data’, Qualitative Research, 10(4), 421-461.
Frost, N.A & Barry, R. (2010) Developing a qualitative research culture: the experiences of one HEI Department of Psychology, QMiP Bulletin,
Frost, N.A (2009) ‘Do you know what I mean?’: the use of a pluralistic narrative analysis interpretation of an interview Qualitative Research (9) (1) 9-29
Frost, N.A. (2009) ‘Pluralism in Qualitative Research: A report of the work of the PQR project’ Social Psychological Review, 11 (1) 32-38.
Frost, N. A (2008), ‘Pluralism in Qualitative Research: Emerging Findings from a Study Using Mixed Qualitative Methods’, Qualitative Methods in Psychology Section Newsletter,16-21.
Frost, N. A. (2008) ‘Taking the other out of mother: an exploration of maternal narratives’, The Narrative Practitioner, conference proceedings, The Narrative Practitioner: Developing Excellence in Research, Education and Practice, North East Wales Institute of Higher Education (NEWI), 11-13 June 2007.
Frost, N. A. (in press) ‘Exploring Space: using mothers’ narratives of space to develop a maternocentric perspective of becoming a mother to a second child’, Radical Psychology, Special Issue: Mothering on the Margins
N.A., Frost & Bowen, C, (in press) New Pluralistic Strategies for Research in Clinical Practice Qualitative Research in Psychology, Special Issue: Clinical Psychology and Qualitative Research
Frost, N.A., Esin, C., Holt, A., Mehdizadeh, L. & Shinebourne,P. (in press) Pluralism in Qualitative Research: Consensual Findings Individual Interpretations, Qualitative Research in Psychology
Frost, N.A., Eatough, V.E., Shaw, R., Weille, K-L., Baraitser, L., Tzemou, E (in press) Memory-work: Early Encounters, Qualitative Research in Psychology
Frost, N.A & Kinmond.K. (2011) Quality Issues in Qualitative Research in Gibson (ed) Writing Excellent Qualitative Research Dissertations, Sage.
Frost, N.A (Ed) (April 2011) Qualitative Research: Combining Core Approaches, Open University Press