Dr Penny Duquenoy
BA (Hons) Philosophy (University of Sussex, School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences); PhD Internet Ethics (MIddlesex University, School of Computing Science)
- ICT ethics, and ethics governance, in technology design and development
- Ethical and social impact of Information Systems
- eHealth, eGovernment
- Intelligent systems, pervasive/ubiquitous computing: priorities, values and choices, security and privacy.
Research Funded Projects:
- Principle Investigator (PI) EGAIS: The Ethical Governance of Emerging Technologies - New Governance Perspectives for Integrating Ethics into Technical Development Projects and Applications (2009-2012, co-funded under the European Union Seventh Framework Programme FP7/2007-2013 grant agreement n° SIS8-CT-2009-230291). Completed.
- Principle Investigator (PI) ISIS: Protecting Children in online social networks (2008-2011 - EPSRC Grant reference: EP/F035454/1). Completed.
Director of Studies
- Hany Ghaffar: E-Commerce Infrastructure opportunities and challenges in Egypt (PhD completed)
- Evangelos Moustakas: Service provider responsibility for unsolicited commercial communication (PhD completed)
- Lynette Drevin: Narrative and ante-narrative methods in the analysis of IS failures
- Nermeen Magdi: E-Privacy in E-Health
- Sara Elkheshin
- Sarah Gordon: Changing the Way the World Thinks about Computer Security (Phd Completed)
- EU Expert Evaluator for ethics review (DG Information Society and Media, 2007); project evaluator 2007-2009; 2011_2012_2013.
- Expert reviewer The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (2013)
- Member Advisory Board, EU project (2013- ongoing)
- Expert reviewer Research Council of Norway, ICT programme (Information Security, Identity management, Privacy) 2008, 2010; VERDIKT (Future Internet) 2011.
- Reviewer EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Science Research Council) 2013, 2007.
- Member Ethics Advisory Board (EU FP6, FP7, projects now completed)
- BIS3328 - Social, Professional and Ethical Issues in Information Systems (Module Leader)
- Research ethics in Information Systems projects.
- Principal Lecturer
- Module Leader
- BIS Department representative - School of Engineering and Information Sciences Ethics Committee
- School representative - University Corporate Social Responsibility Committee
- IFIP (International Federation of Information Processing)- Chair, Special Interest Group Framework on Ethics (January 2011)
- IFIP Working Group 9.2 - Computers and Social Accountability - Member and past chair (2004-2010)
- BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT - Chair ICT Ethics Specialist Group
- BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT - Member Ethics Group:
- BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT - Consultant Manager (2006-2010) BCS Ethics Forum
- Fellow, RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce)
Personal Web Page:
- Kurt, A., Duquenoy, P., (2013) Governance in Technology Development in Fernand Doridot, Penny Duquenoy, Philippe Goujon, Aygen Kurt, Sylvain Lavelle, Norberto Patrignani, Stephen Rainey and Alessia Santuccio (Eds.) Ethical Governance and Emerging Technologies Norms, Procedures and Contexts. IGI Global 2013. 367pages. (In Press) DOI: 10.4018/978-1-4666-3670-5
- Duquenoy, P., N.M. Mekawie and M. Springett. (2012) Patients, trust and ethics in information privacy in eHealth. In eHealth: Legal, Ethical and Governance Challenges, George, C., Whitehouse D., Duquenoy, P. (Eds.) Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-22474-4_12
- Flick, C., P. Duquenoy and M. Jones. (2012) Designing for Child Resilience. CHI'12, May 5-10, 2012, Austin, Texas, USA. ACM 978-1-4503-1016-1/12/05
- Kurt, A., P. Duquenoy. (2012) Addressing Ethical Issues using Scenarios in European Technology Development Projects. In Privacy and Identity Management for Life, Proceedings of the IFIP Seventh International Summer School 2011, University of Trento, Italy, 5-9 September 2011. Simone Fischer-Hubner, Jan Camenisch, Ronald Leenes (Eds.). IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, Springer.
- Ian Harris, Richard Jennings, David Pullinger, Simon Rogerson, and Penny Duquenoy, (2011) Ethical assessment of new technologies: A meta-methodology in Journal of Information Communication and Ethics in Society, Volume 9 Issue 1. Emerald Group Publishing Ltd. 2011.
- Kurt, A., Duquenoy, P.(2011) “Governance challenges and technology innovation for social use” in The Social Impact of Social Computing, ETHICOMP 2011 - The 12th ETHICOMP International Conference on the Social and Ethical Impacts of Information and Communication Technology, Sheffield, England, 14-16 September 2011. Conference Proceedings, (T. Ward Bynum, S. Rogerson, A. Bisset, A. Light, A. Lauener, Eds.), Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, England, 2011.
- Flick, C., Duquenoy P., (2011) Ethical tensions of online child protection, ETHICOMP 2011, Sheffield, UK.
- Flick, C., Duquenoy P., (2011) “Ghostie”: An Ethical Internet Resilience Device. ETHICOMP 2011, Sheffield, UK.
- Flick, C., Duquenoy P., (2011) “Developing for Privacy in Sensitive Domains: Lessons from the Isis Project” IFIP Summer School 2011, Trento, Italy. September 2011.
- Flick, C., Duquenoy, P. (2011) “The case for development of online child protection technologies” ICT, Society and Human Beings 2011, part of the IADIS multi conference on Computer Science and Information Systems 2011, 24-26 July, Rome, Italy.
- Whitehouse, D., Duquenoy, P.,(2011) “eHealth and Ethics: Theory, Teaching, and Practice” in Haftor, D. M., & Mirijamdotter, A. (Eds.) Information and communication technologies, society and human beings: theory and framework. IGI Global. 2011.
- Diane Whitehouse, Carlisle George, Penny Duquenoy (2011) "eHealth: Legal, Ethical and Governance Challenges - An Overview" presented at Med-e-Tel 2011, 6-8 April 2011, Luxembourg.
- Fischer-Hübner, S; Duquenoy, P; (2010)Hensen, M; Leenes, R; Zhang, G. (Eds.) Privacy and Identity Management for Life. 6th IFIP WG9.2, 9.6/11.7, 11.4, 11.6/PrimeLife International Summer School, Helsingborg, Sweden, August 206, 2010, Revised Selected Papers. 2011, ISBN 978-3-642-20768-6. Series: IFIP advances in Information and Communication Technology, Volume 352.
- Whitehouse, D., Duquenoy, P. (2010) “eHealth and Ethics: Theory, Teaching, and Practice” in Haftor, D. M., & Mirijamdotter, A. (Eds.) Information and communication technologies, society and human beings: theory and framework. IGI Global.
- Abdelghaffar, H.A., Kamel, S.H., Duquenoy, P. (2010) Studying eGovernment Trust in Developing Nations: A Case of University and Colleges Admissions and Services in Egypt. Communications of the International Information Management Associations, 2010. Volume 10 Issue 2, pp.93-106.
- Martens B., Duquenoy P., Patrignani N. (2010) Embedding Ethics in European Information & Communication Technology Curricula in Proceedings ETHICOMP 2010 The "backwards, forwards and sideways" changes of ICT, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain. 4th -16th April 2010.
- Kurt A., P. Duquenoy. (2009) An inquiry into the ethical analysis of ICTs: an innovation systems perspective. In G. van Steendam et al. (Eds.), Ambient intelligence and human security: embedding science in society. Proceedings of the ICT that makes the Difference Conference, Brussels, 22-25 November 2009. Brussels: IFB press, 2009. ISBN 978-90-73009-00-4.
- Santuccio A., M. Marabelli, P. Duquenoy, P. Goujon, S. Lavelle, N. Patrignani (2009). Moving towards an ethical governance of new emerging technologies. In M. Schneider et al. (Eds.), Workshop Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Intelligent Environments. IOS Press, Volume 4, p. 269-275, 2009. ISBN 978-1-60750-056-8.
- Duquenoy, P. (2009) "Taking a holistic approach to exchanging health information over a global network”. Ethics and health in the global village: bioethics, globalization and human rights. Edited by: Emilio Mordini. CIC Edizioni Internazionali, 2009. ISBN 9788871418452 pp.287-304
- Duquenoy, P with N. Dando and I. Harris. (2009) Ethics in the Provision and Use of IT for Business, Institute of Business Ethics, 2009.
- Watson, P. G., Duquenoy P., Brennan M., Jones M., Walkerdine, J. (2009) “Towards an Ethical Interaction Design: the issue of including stakeholders in law-enforcement software development” Proceedings OZCHI 2009, November 23-27, 2009, Melbourne, Australia. Pp. 313-316. (Available ACM Digital Library http://portal.acm.org/dl.cfm)
- Watson, P.G., M. Brennan M., P. Duquenoy, M. Jones. (2009) Developing “The Social” in Computer-User Research: Further Expansions in the “Intellectual Challenge of CSCW” in Proceedings of the 2nd Sociotech-ID 2009 workshop New Sociotechnical Insights in Interaction Design 2009: Bridging social requirements and design. Eds. Jose Abdelnour Nocera, Anders Morch. 25th August 2009, Uppsala, Sweden at INTERACT 2009 12th IFIP TC13 Conference in Human-Computer Interaction. Pp. 1-6.
- Walkerdine, J., Greenwood, P., Rashid, A., Rayson, P., May-Chahal, C., Duquenoy, P., Watson, P., Jones, M., Brennan, M. (2009) "Forensics Software for Detecting Online Paedophile Activity”, Paper published at ICT that makes the Difference, Brussels, 22-25th November, 2009
- Duquenoy, Penny and Awais Rashid (2009) Safety Net. Project Magazine, November 2009. Association for Project Management.
- Rashid, A., Rayson, P., Greenwood, P., Walkerdine, J., Duquenoy, P., Watson, P., Brennan, M., Jones, M. (2009) “Isis: Protecting Children in Online Social Networks”, At the International Conference on Advances in the Analysis of Online Paedophile Activity, Paris, June 2009.
- Whitehouse, D. and P. Duquenoy (2009) "Applied ethics and eHealth: principles, identity, and RFID". In Proceedings: The Future of Identity in the Information Society. 4th IFIP WG9.2, 9.6, 11.6, 11.7/FIDIS International Summer School, Brno, Czech Republic, September 107, 2008, Revised Selected Papers. Matyas, V; Fischer-Hubner, S; Cvrcek, D; Svenda, P. (Eds.) Springer. Series: IFIP Advances in Information and Communiation Technology, Vol. 298. 2009. ISBN 978-3-642-03314-8.
- Duquenoy, P., Oliver Burmeister (2009) "Exploring ethical aspects of Pervasive Computing" in Risk Assessment and Management in Pervasive Computing: Operational, Legal, Ethical and Financial Perspectives, Varuna Godara (Ed.), IGI Global.2009. Pp.263-284. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-60566-220-6.
- Duquenoy, P., Carlisle George, Anthony Solomonides (2008) "Considering something 'ELSE': Ethical, Legal and Socio-economic factors in medical imaging and medical informatics" Special Issue of the conference Medical Imaging and Medical Informatics, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Henning Müller, Xiaohong Gao (Eds.). Elsevier 2008..
- Duquenoy, P., Carlisle George, Anthony Solomonides "What ELSE? Regulation and compliance in medical imaging and medical informatics" in Proceedings of MIMI 2007: Medical Imaging and Informatics Conference, Beijing, China, 15-16th August, 2007. Springer LNCS, 2008.
- Duquenoy, P., Oliver Burmeister. "Exploring ethical aspects of Pervasive Computing" in Risk Assessment and Management in Pervasive Computing: Operational, Legal, Ethical and Financial Perspectives, Varuna Godara (Ed.), IGI Global. 2008.
- Duquenoy, Penny, Oliver Burmeister. (2008) "Ambient technology: reconsidering informed consent" in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference of the Australian Institute of Computer Ethics (AICE 2008), Melbourne, Australia, 11th February, 2008.
- George C., Penny Duquenoy, (2008) "Online Medical Consultations: legal, ethical and social perspectives" in Duquenoy, P., George, C., Kimppa K., (Eds.) Ethical, Legal and Social Issues in Medical Informatics, Idea Group Inc. 2008.
- Joosten Rieks, Diane Whitehouse, Penny Duquenoy. (2008) "Putting identifiers in the context of eHealth: introduction of a model" in Proceedings of The Future of Identity in the Information Society, Third International Summer School organized by IFIP WG 9.2, 9.6/11.7, 11.6 in cooperation with FIDIS Network of Excellence, Karlstad University, Sweden, 6th- 10th August 2007. Springer 2008.
- Duquenoy, Penny, Simon Jones, Barry Blundell (2008) Ethical, Legal and Professional Issues in Computing. Thomson Learning. © Middlesex University Press 2008.
- Berleur J, Burmeister O, Duquenoy P, Gotterbarn D, Goujon P, Kaipainen K, Kimpaa K, Six B, Weber-Wulff D, Whitehouse D (2008) Ethics of Computing Committees. Suggestions for Functions, Form, and Structure. IFIP-SIG9.2.2. IFIP Framework for Ethics of Computing. September 2008. ISBN 978 3 901 882 243. http://www.info..fundp.ac.be~jbl/IFIP/cadresIFIP.html/
- Duquenoy, P., (2007) "Ethics in the environment of the Information Society" invited presentation at the European regional Conference on the "ethical dimensions of the information society: Ethics and human rights in the information society" organised by the French Commission for UNESCO in cooperation with UNESCO and the Council of Europe, 13-14th September, 2007, Strasbourg. http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/files/25453/11909027561Duquenoy-Penny.pdf/Duquenoy-Penny.pdf
- Duquenoy, P., (2007) "The Information Society: what next?" in The Information Society: Innovation, Legitimacy, Ethics and Democracy. Penny Duquenoy, Philippe Goujon, Kai Kimppa, Sylvain Lavelle (Eds.) Springer (Boston), 2007.
- George, C. and Penny Duquenoy (2007) "Exploring Legal& Ethical Aspects of IPR Management in e-Learning" in Proceedings of the 2007 IPR in e-Learning Workshop/conference, British Computer Society London Office. London, UK.
- Collste, G., Duquenoy, P., George, C., Hedström, K., Kimppa K., Mordini,E., (2006) "ICT in Medicine and Health Care: Assessing Social, Ethical and Legal Issues" in IFIP International Federation for Information Processing,Volume 223, Social Informatics: An Information Society for All? In Remembrance of Rob Kling, eds. Berleur, J., Numinen, M.I., Impagliazzo,J., (Boston : Springer), pp.297-308.
- Duquenoy, P. (2006) "Ethical Issues in IPR Management". IPR in ELearning, Workshop/Conference, 21st March 2006. British Computer Society London Office. London, UK.
- Bacsich, P., Bakry, W.., Davis, G., Duquenoy, P., George, C., and Weldon J (2006) "Managing IPR in a successful e-learning enterprise: The Global Campus, Middlesex University, UK." IPR in E-Learning, Workshop/Conference, 21st March 2006. British Computer Society London Office. London, UK
- Moustakas, E., Ranganathan, C., Duquenoy, P., (2006) "E-mail marketing at the crossroads: a stakeholder analysis of unsolicited commercial e-mail (spam)" Internet Research: Electronic Networking Applications and Policy, Vol. 16 No. 1, 2006. Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 1066-2243.
- Duquenoy P., Jones S., Rahanu H., Diaper D. (2005) Social, Legal and Professional Issues of Computing. Middlesex University Press 2005.
- Duquenoy P. (2005) "Ethics of Computing" in Perspectives and Policies on ICT in Society, Springer& SBS Media.
- Holvast, Jan, Duquenoy P., Whitehouse, D. (2005) "The Information Society and its Consequences: lessons from the past" in Perspectives and Policies on ICT in Society, Springer& SBS Media.
- Duquenoy, P., Diane Whitehouse (2005) "Pursuing Perspectives on Ambient Intelligence" in The Information Society: Emerging Landscapes, (Chris Zielinski, Penny Duquenoy and Kai Kimppa, Eds.) Proceedings, IFIP WG9.2 International Conference Landscapes of ICT and Social Accountability, Turku, Finland, 2005.
- George, Carlisle, Penny Duquenoy (2005) "Online Medical Consultations: Are we heading in the right direction?" in Proceedings Ethicomp2005, Looking Back to the Future, Linköping, Sweden, 12-15 September 2005. ISBN 91-85299-92-8.
- Drevin, Lynette, Duquenoy, P., (2005) "'Social, Legal and Professional Issues of Computing': a second year course. Have the students grown ethically?" in Proceedings, Fourth World Conference on Information Security Education (WISE4), Moscow, 2005.
- Duquenoy, P., Evangelos Moustakas, C. Ranganathan (2005) "Combating Spam through Legislation: A Comparative Analysis of US and European Approaches"; Proceedings Second Conference of Email and Anti-Spam (CEAS05), Stanford University, USA.
- Duquenoy, P., Evangelos Moustakas, C. Ranganathan (2005) "Unsolicited Commercial Email (SPAM): an exploratory understanding using Stakeholder Analysis" Proceedings 13th European conference on Information Systems (ECIS2005), Regensburg, Germany.
- Duquenoy, P., Evangelos Moustakas, C. Ranganathan (2005) "Phish or Treat? Phishing Tricks Reloaded" Proceedings, the 4th European Conference on Information Warfare and Security (ECIW 2005), Glamorgan, UK.
- Bakry, Walaa-Eldeen Mohamed, Hany Abdelghaffar, Penny Duquenoy (2005) "E-government: a new vision for success" in Proceedings European and Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (EMCIS 2005), Cairo, Egypt.
- Duquenoy, Penny, (2004) "Intelligent Ethics". In Building the Information Society, René Jacquart (Ed.). Kluwer Academic Publishers. Pp. 597-602. IFIP World Computer Congress 2004, Toulouse, France.
- Duquenoy, P. (2004) "Ethics: the missing element in an intelligent world" in Challenges for the Citizen of the Information Society Proceedings ETHICOMP 2004: University of the Aegean Syros, GREECE.
- Duquenoy, P., Evangelos Moustakas (2004) "Unsolicited Commercial Communication: The integrated scenario" in Challenges for the Citizen of the Information Society Proceedings ETHICOMP 2004: University of the Aegean Syros, GREECE.
- Duquenoy, Penny. (2003) "Models for Internet Ethics" in Risks and Challenges in the Network Society, (Duquenoy, P., Holvast, J., Fischer- Heubner, S.,& Zuccato, A. Eds.) Proceedings of the Second IFIP 9.2, 9.6/11.7 Summer School, Karlstad, Sweden, August 2003.
- Duquenoy, Penny and Masurkar, Vijay. (2003) "Surrounded by intelligence..." in Risks and Challenges in the Network Society, (Duquenoy, P., Holvast, J., Fischer-Heubner, S.,& Zuccato, A. Eds.) Proceedings of the Second IFIP 9.2, 9.6/11.7 Summer School, Karlstad, Sweden, August 2003.
- Moustakas, E. and Penny Duquenoy (2003) "Service Provider Responsibility for Unsolicited Commercial Communication (Spam)" in Risks and Challenges in the Network Society, (Duquenoy, P., Holvast, J., Fischer-Heubner, S.,& Zuccato, A. Eds.) Proceedings of the Second IFIP 9.2, 9.6/11.7 Summer School, Karlstad, Sweden, August 2003.
- Duquenoy, Penny, and Carl Reynolds (2003) "Stressed or Stress-Free Mobile Privacy: Detecting Mobile Stress: Ethical Issues in Voice Analysis"; 1st International Workshop Wireless Security Technologies 03, Middlesex University.
- Thimbleby, Harold, and Penny Duquenoy (2001). "Just Programming" in the Social and Ethical Impacts of Information and Communication Technologies, ETHICOMP2001, Gdansk June 18-20, 2001, Vol.2.,Wydawnictwo Mikom.
- Duquenoy, Penny, and Diane Whitehouse, (2000). "The process of ethics", in Computers and Networks in the Age of Globalization, Leif Block Rasmussen, Colin Beardon, Silvio Munari (Eds.). Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Duquenoy, Penny, (2000). "Internet ethics: changing concepts, changing ethics?". Technical Report CS-00-02, Middlesex University, UK. 1999
- Duquenoy, Penny and Harold Thimbleby, (1999). "Justice and Design", in Human-Computer Interaction, INTERACT'99, M.Angela Sasse and Chris Johnson (Eds.), IOS Press on behalf of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP).
- Duquenoy, Penny, Harold Thimbleby and Steve Torrance, (1999). "Towards a synthesis of Discourse Ethics and Internet regulation", Proceedings: ETHICOMP 99, LUISS Guido Carli, Centro di Ricerca sui Sistemi Informativi, Roma, 1999. Edited by A.D'Atri, A. Marturano, S. Rogerson, T.Ward Bynum.
- Duquenoy, Penny and Harold Thimbleby, (1999). "Ethics and Consumer Electronics: From Driving to Surfing", Proceedings: ETHICOMP 99, LUISS Guido Carli, Centro di Ricerca sui Sistemi Informativi, Roma, 1999. Edited by A.D'Atri, A. Marturano, S. Rogerson, T.Ward Bynum.
- Duquenoy, Penny, Harold Thimbleby and Nicolas Beale, (1998). "UK views of ethical and spiritual implications of IT", Proceedings ETHICOMP98, Centre for the Philosophy of Information and Communication Technology, Department of Philosophy, Erasmus University, Rotterdam.