Professor Tony Goodman
Contemporary issues in youth and adult offending; public protection; substance misuse. I am currently developing, with colleagues, a Masters degree in Drug and Alcohol Studies (EMDAS). Further details are available on the website.
I am currently supervising a number of PhD's in the Department.
Recent research grants
- Goodman, A. Hurcombe, R. (2008) Literature Review on Drinking Cultures and Ethnicity. Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
- Goodman, A., Stenson, K. Ruggiero, V. (2007) Adolescent Drinking Cultures: Peer Influence and Ethnicity. Joseph Rowntree Foundation. 2008-2009)
- Thom, B. Goodman, A. (2007) Erasmus Fund under the Life Long Learning Programme for development money to design a European Masters in Drug and Alcohol Studies. (2007-2010)
- Porteous, D., Chatwin, C., Martin, D., Goodman, A. (2006) The Experience of Young Victims of Crime in Newham.
- Goodman, A., Loumansky, A., Goodman, S. Feast, N. (2005-6) Hate crime in the boroughs of Haringey and Newham, including an exploration of hate attitudes amongst offenders.
- Goodman, A., Loumanasky, A., Porteous, D. Goodman, S. (September 2003-July 2005) Research and evaluation of the Children's Fund in the London Borough of Hounslow
I work in the Department of Criminology and Sociology. My interest in substance misuse and membership of the Drug and Alcohol Research Group (DARG) crosses into other Schools.
Current work administrative and professional duties/roles etc
Postgraduate Programme Leader for MA Youth Justice, Community Safety, and Applied Criminology. Supporting and encouraging research and publications within the School of Health and Social Sciences. I am an active member of the Crime and Conflict Research Centre.
Goodman, A (2008) 'The Evidence Base' in Green, S., Lancaster, E. and Feasey, S. (eds.) Addressing Offending Behaviour: Context, Practice, Values. Cullompton: Willan Publishers.
Loumansky, A. and Goodman, A. and Feasey, S.(2008) 'Enforcement and Compliance' in Green, S., Lancaster, E. and Feasey, S. (eds) Addressing Offending Behaviour: Context, Practice , Values. Cullompton: Willan Publishers.
Nellis, M. and Goodman, A. (2008) 'Probation and Community Justice: Managing Offenders' in Wahidin, A. and Sharp, D. Criminal Justice. Oxford: Oxford University Press. (In press)
Goodman, S. and Goodman, A. (2008) 'Child protection from a diverse inner-city primary school perspective. In Kennison, P. and Goodman, A. (Eds.) Child as Victims. Exeter: Learning Matters.
Hinrichsen, N. and Goodman, A. (2008) 'Statutory social work processes involving children: prostitution and other areas of vulnerability'. In Kennison, P. and Goodman, A. (Eds.) Child as Victims. Exeter: Learning Matters.
Goodman, A. (2008) Rehabilitating and Resettling Offenders in the Community. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons Ltd. (Contract for single authored book)
Goodman, A. (2007) Social Work with Drug and Substance Misusers. Exeter: Learning Matters. (139 pages)
Goodman, A. (2007). Probation and Parole: History, Policy Change and Mental Health. In H. Sass A. Felthous (eds), The International Handbook of Psychopathic Disorders and the Law. New York: Wiley.
Goodman, A. (2007) 'Social Work with Offenders.' In (Eds.) Canton, R. and Hancock, D. Dictionary of Probation and Offender Management. Cullompton: Willan Publishers.
Goodman, A., Adler, J. R. (2004). Parenting Projects, Justice and Welfare. In J. R. Adler (Ed.), Forensic Psychology: Concepts, Debates and Practice. Cullompton: Willan Publishing, pp 266-284
Goodman, A. (2003). Probation into the Millennium: The Punishing Service? In R. Matthews J. Young (eds), The New Politics of Crime and Punishment. Cullompton: Willan Publishing, pp199-222.
- Goodman, A. and Ruggiero, R. (2008) 'Crime, Punishment and Ethnic Minorities in England and Wales' Race/Ethnicity: Multidisciplinary Global Contexts. (Accepted for publication)
- Goodman, A. (2007) 'Taking Surveillance out of the ISSP (Intensive Supervision and Surveillance Programme). Criminal Justice Matters. 68: 22-23
- Porteous, D., Chatwin, C., Martin, D. and Goodman, A. (2007) 'Young Victims of Street Crime in an East London Borough. Community Safety Journal. 6: 29-35
- Goodman, A. (2007) '289 Borough High Street, The After-Care and Resettlement Unit, in the Inner London Probation Service 1965-1990' Special Centenary Edition British Journal of Community Justice. 5: 9-28
- Goodman, A. (2006) 'Wither or Whither Probation'. British Journal of Community Justice. 4: 49-66
Goodman, A., Blackburn, M., Weston, A. (2003). Early Daze: An Outline of Drug Treatment and Testing Orders in Practice. Journal of Health, Social and Environmental Issues, 4: 9-16.
Goodman, A (2007) Hate Crime and Violence. British Society of Criminology Conference, London.
Goodman, A. (2007) 289 Borough High Street, The After-Care and Resettlement Unit, in the Inner London Probation Service. Centenary of Probation Conference, Sheffield.
Goodman, A. (2006) Wither or whither probation? British Society of Criminology Conference, Glasgow.
Goodman, A. Loumansky, A. (2005). Hate Crime and Barriers to Victims' Willingness to Report: Experiences within Multi-Cultural London, England. American Society of Criminology Conference, Toronto: Canada.
Goodman, A., Loumansky, A. (2005). Researching Hate Crime in Diverse Boroughs in London: Some Preliminary Findings. British Society of Criminology Conference, University of Leeds.
Goodman, A., Loumansky, A. (2004). Working with Vulnerable Young People - Keeping it in the Family. British Society of Criminology Conference, University of Portsmouth.
Goodman, A. and Loumansky, A. (2004) Offending Behaviour: The Impact of Drugs and Alcohol. London, Trust for the Study of Adolescence.
Goodman, A. Loumansky, A. (2004). Parenting Groups. American Society of Criminology Conference, Nashville: USA.
Member of British Association of Social Workers, the British Society of Criminology, the Howard League for Criminal Justice, NACRO, the National Association of Probation Officers, and the Prison Reform Trust