Professor Bryan Ellis
Examples of recent research and consulting activities:
- Bryan recently became the first UK member of the Syndicat Interdepartemental pour L'Assainissement de L'Agglomeration Parisienne (SIAAP)
- Expert Witness to the House of Lords Science Technology Select Committee on Water Management (2006)
- Senior evaluator to the EU 6th Framework Programme
- Associate Scientific Adviser to the British Council
- Director of Science Training for the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) (1994 - 1997)
- President of the Joint IWA/IAHR International Committee for Urban Drainage (1993 - 1996)
- Senior Adviser to the Expert Committee on the Pearl River Delta Pollution Commission (1991 - 1995)
Links to Current Projects
SWITCH (Sustainable Water management Improves the Cities Health); EU Framework 6
CROCUS (Channel RestOration in Contaminated Urban Settings); ESRC, NERC
Bryan's research output extends to over 200 publications including 8 books, 50 chapters in books and 51 articles in international peer-reviewed journals.
Design of Flood Storage Reservoirs. 1993. Butterworth Heinemann, London. ISBN 0-75-061057-3. (with M J Hall and D L Hockin). p187.
Diffuse Pollution Impacts: The Environmental and Economic Impacts of Diffuse Pollution in the UK. 2000. Terence Dalton Publishers Ltd (CIWEM), Lavenham, Suffolk. ISBN 1 870752 46 5. (with B J D'Arcy, R C Ferrier, A Jenkins and R Dils). p181.
Urban Drainage Glossary. 2004. IWA Publishing, London. ISBN 1 900222 06 X (Edited with J Marsalek, B.Chocat, S Fujita and W. Rauch).
Urban Water Quality. 2005. Chapter 104, Volume 2, 1 - 13. In: M G Anderson (Edit): Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences. J Wiley Sons Ltd., Chichester. (with J Marsalek and B Chocat).
Drainage, Runoff and Groundwater. 2001. In: MUDGE, G (Edit): Guidelines for the Environmental Management of Highways. 67 - 102. Institution of Highways Transportation, London. (with D M Revitt). Pharmaceutical and Personal Care Products (PPCPs) in Urban Receiving Waters. 2006. Environmental Pollution. 144, 184 - 189.
Factors Influencing Exfiltration Processes in Sewers. 2005. Water Science Technology. 51 (2), 147 - 154. (with D J Blackwood., D M Revitt and D J Gilmour).
Bacterial Sources, Pathways and Management Strategies for Urban Runoff. 2004. Journal of Environmental Planning Management. 47 (6), 941 - 956.
Urban Diffuse Pollution: Key Management Issues for the Water Framework Directive. 2006. Water and Environment Journal. 20, 19 - 26. (with G Mitchell).
Bryan's primary research interests are in the field of environmental pollution, focussing on topics such as:
- Urban runoff and highway discharges - water quality and receiving water impact
- Sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDS)
- Ecotoxicology and microbiology of surface water discharges
- Decision support systems for urban drainage management
- Process studies of filter drains and their potential for groundwater pollution
- Pharmaceutical products in urban runoff
- Sewer exfiltration