Professor Vincenzo Ruggiero
Professor Vincenzo Ruggiero
BA, MA, PhD
Social theory; comparative criminology; organised and corporate crime; social movements, penal systems and political violence.
Political Violence; Crime, Conflict and Control
- Ruggiero, V. (2011), Il delitto, la legge, la pena, Turin: Gruppo Abele
- Ruggiero, V. (2010), Penal Abolitionism, Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Ruggiero, V. (2006), Understanding Political Violence, London/New York: Open University Press/McGraw Hill.
- Ruggiero, V. (2005), Crimini dell'immaginazione. Devianza e letteratura, Milan: Il Saggiatore.
- Ruggiero, V. (2003), Crime in Literature: Sociology of Deviance and Fiction, London: Verso.
- Ruggiero, V. (2001), Movements in the City: Conflict in the European Metropolis, New York: Prentice Hall.
- Ruggiero, V. (2000), Crime and Markets: Essays in Anti-Criminology, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Ruggiero, V. and Gounev, P. (2012), Corruption and Organized Crime in Europe: Illegal Partneships, London: Routledge.
- Ruggiero, V. and Ruggeri, F. (2009), Potere e Violenza, Milan: Franco Angeli
- Ruggiero, V. and Montagna, N. (2008), Social Movements: A Reader, London: Routledge.
- Ruggiero, V. and Ponsaers, P. (2002), Economic and Financial Crime in Europe, Paris: L'Harmattan.
Articles and chapters in books
- Ruggiero, V. (2012), 'Illicit Economies and the Carceral Social Zone', in Squires, P. and Lea, J. (eds), Criminalisation and Advanced Marginality, Bristol: Policy Press.
- Ruggiero, V. (2011), 'An Abolitionist View of Restorative Justice', International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice, 39: 100-110.
- Ruggiero, V. (2010), 'Unintended Consequences: Changes in Organised Drug Supply in the UK', Trends in Organized Crime, 13: 46-59.
- Ruggiero, V. (2010), 'Armed Struggle in Italy: The Limits to criminology in the Study of Political Violence', British Journal of Criminology, 50: 708-24.
- Ruggiero, V. (2009), 'Illegal Activity and Migrant Acculturation', International Journal of Law, Crime and Justice, 37: 39-50.
- Ruggiero,V. (2008), 'Privitazing International Conflict', Social Justice, 34:132-147
- Ruggiero, V. (2008), 'Causation Theories and Concepts of Organized Criminal Behaviour', in Shanty, F.G. (ed), Organized Crime: From Trafficking to Terrorism, Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO.
- Ruggiero, V. (2007), 'South Asian Criminal Enterprise in the UK', in Broadhurst, R. and Ganapathy, N. (eds), Organised Crime in Asia: Governance and Accountability, Singapore: National University of Singapore.
- Ruggiero, V. (2007), 'Securite et criminalite economique', in Kokoreff, M., Peraldi, M. and Weinberger, (eds), Economies criminelles et mondes urbains, Paris : Presses Universitaires de France.
- Ruggiero, V. (2005), 'UN Convention against Organised Crime', in Bhaskar, C.U. et al (eds), United Nations: Multilateralism International Security, New Delhi: Institute for Defence Studies Analyses.
- Ruggiero, V. (2004), 'I vuoti delle politiche di sicurezza', in Selmini, R. (ed), La sicurezza urbana, Bologna: Il Mulino.
- Ruggiero, V. (2003), 'From Fordist-Type Criminals to Criminality Just-in-Time', in Shapland, J. et al (eds), The Informal Economy: Threat and Opportunity in the City, Freiburg: Max Planck Institute.
- Ruggiero, V. (2012), 'How Public is Public Criminology?', Crime Media Culture, 82: 151-160
- Ruggiero, V. (2010), 'Green Criminology and Dirty Collar Crime', Critical Criminology, 18: 251-262.
- Ruggiero, V. (2010), 'Who Currupts Whom?', Crime, Law and Social Change, 54: 87-105.
- Ruggiero, V. (2009), 'On Liberty and Crime: Adam Smith and John Stuart Mill', Crime, Law and Social Change, 51: 435-450.
- Ruggiero, V. (2007), 'War, Crime, Empire and Cosmopolitanism', Critical Criminology, 15: 211-221.
- Ruggiero, V. (2007), 'It's the Economy, Stupid! Classifying Power Crime', International Journal of the Sociology of Law, 35 (4): 163-177.
- Ruggiero, V. and Khan, K. (2006), 'British South Asian Communities and Drug Supply Networks in the UK: A Qualitative Study', The International Journal of Drug Policy, 17: 473-483.
- Ruggiero, V. (2005), 'Dichotomies and Contemporary Social Movements', CITY: Analysis of Urban Trends, Culture, Theory, Policy, Action, 9: 281-297.
- Ruggiero, V. (2004), 'Criminalizing War': Criminology as Ceasefire', Social Legal Studies, 14 (2): 239-257.
- Ruggiero, V. (2012), 'Business as War', 40th Conference of the European Group for the Study of Deviance and Social Control, 4-9 September, University of Nicosia (Cyprus).
- Ruggiero, V. (2012), 'Justice, Law and Punishment', International Conference on Penal Abolitionism, University of the West Indies, Trinidad, 12-15 June.
- Ruggiero, V. (2012), 'Fragments of Anti-Criminology', Public Lecture, University of Palermo, 30 May.
- Ruggiero, V. (2012), 'Cultures of Punishment', The Poverty of Punishment, Middlesex University, 30 March.
- Ruggiero, V. (2012), 'Rehabilitation or Revenge?', British Society of Criminology, Welsh Branch, University of Cardiff, 22 February.
- Ruggiero, V. (2011), 'Economic Development: Threats and Opportunities', Emerging Research Paradigms in Business and Social Sciences, Dubai, 22-24 November.
- Ruggiero, V. (2011), 'The Philosophical Foundations of Abolitionism', Associazione Antigone, Rome, 11 November.
- Ruggiero, V. (2011), 'How Public is Puiblic Criminology?', The York Deviancy Conference, York University, 29 June- 1July.
- Ruggiero, V. (2007), 'South Asian Drug Dealing Networks', Organised Crime in Asia: Governance and Accountability, National University of Singapore, 28-29 June.
- Ruggiero, V. (2006), 'Trans-nationalism and Global Illicit Economies', Government of the Shadows, University of Melbourne (Australia), 10-12 August.
- Ruggiero, V. (2006), 'Selecting the Enemy: The Violence of the Other', El Derecho del Nemico, University of Buenos Aires (Argentina), 5 September.
- Ruggiero, V. (2005), 'Criminology and War', Crime et insecuriteacute;: un demi-siegrave;cle de bouleversements, University of Versailles (France), 29 September - 1 October.
- Ruggiero, V. (2004), 'Organized Criminality', V Congress of the Cuban Society for Criminal Sciences, Havana (Cuba), 11-14 November.
- Ruggiero, V. (2004), 'Risk and Corporate Crime', 6th Colloquium on Cross-Border Crime, University of Berlin, 2-4 September.
- 2008: ‘Organised Crime and Drugs Trafficking’, Perspectivas da Justiça Criminal, San Paulo (Brazil), 1-3 September.
- 2008: Organiser and chair of the panel ‘Criminology of War and Peace’ and delivery of paper ‘Criminalizing War’, American Society of Criminology, St. Louis (USA), 12-15 November.
- 2009: ‘Crimes of the Powerful and Restorative Justice’, Il Crimine dei Colletti Bianchi, Ministry of Justice, Palermo, 7 March.
- 2009: ‘Organised Crime as Crime of the Powerful’, Transnational Organised crime in Regional Contexts, Mexico City, 19-20 August.
- 2009: ‘Green Criminology and Dirty Collar Offenders’, American Society of Criminology, Philadelphia, 4-7 November.
- 2010: ‘Crime and Prosperity: Does Wealth Cause Crime?’, paper delivered at the Twelfth United Nations Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice, Salvador (Brazil), 12-19 April.
- 2010: ‘Organised Behaviour and Organised Identity’, The Politics of Criminology, 38th Annual Conference of the European Group, University of the Aegean, Lesvos, Greece, 1-5 September.
- Ruggiero, V. et al (2010), Corruption and Organised Crime in Europe, European Commission
- Ruggiero, V. and Khan, K. (2005), British South Asian Drug Networks, Home Office
- Ruggiero, V. and Ponsaers, P. (2002), Economic and Financial Crime in Europe, GERN, Groupement Europeen sur le Normatives, Paris.
- Editor of the book series Transnational Crime, Routledge
- Associate editor of Studi sulla Questione Criminale
- Editorial board member of Crime, Law and Social Change
- Editorial board member of the Open Criminology Journal
Honours and Prizes
- Nominated as Distinguished International Academic by the American Society of Criminology (2000).
- Received the Premio Nazionale G. Arena for the book Movements in the City (2002).
- Nominated for the Hindelang Award by the American Society of Criminology for the book Crime in Literature (2004).