Samuel Olawale Adeola
Samuel's PhD research focuses on the use and optimisation of a combined wetland/aerated pond treatment system for pollutant removal from airport runoff. This innovative treatment system worth £20 million was commissioned in the winter of 2002 as part of London Heathrow Airport's strategy for sustainable management of surface water.
Samuel's work with the system to date has included:
- Validating the scaling-up processes used to convert pilot treatment systems to the full-size operational airport treatment system;
- Water sample analysis : laboratory experiments related to the performance of the system;
- Monitoring : assessing important components of the system through routine site visits;
- Analysing the overall treatment performance of the integrated facility through field : laboratory pilot scale studies;
- Microbial isolation and identification using API biochemical tests and PCR;
- Establishing the seasonal calibration/conditioning requirements for instruments deployed within the treatment facility;
- Updating and informing the BAA Heathrow operation team about routine seasonal management, modification : maintenance procedures necessary for optimising the pollutant removal potential of the facility; and
- Analysing the effluent from the treatment facility to ensure compliance with water quality standards.
Other research interests include:
- The biodegradation of polyaromatic hydrocarbons (MSc thesis)
- Sustainable development and resource management
- Environmental chemistry
- Molecular microbial ecology
- Professor Mike Revitt (Director of Studies)
- Dr Hemda Garelick
- Professor Brian Shutes.
Links with partner/business orgs
Samuel's PhD research project is supported by a 3-year funded studentship awarded by the British Airports Authority. The study site is the Heathrow Constructed Wetland Facility, London Heathrow Airport, UK.
- Adeola S. (2006). A combined constructed wetland and aerated pond system for the treatment of airport runoff: Operational issues. 10th International Conference on Wetland Systems for Water Pollution Control (Lisbon, Portugal 23-29 Sept 2006)-Paper Presentatio
- Adeola S. (2005). Optimisation of the Pollutant Removal Processes within a Combined Wetland/Aerated Pond System for the Treatment of Airport Runoff. 1st National Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems Network (SUDSnet) Student Conference (Coventry, 22 June 2005) - Paper Presentation.
- Adeola S. (2005). Pollutant removal processes within a combined wetland/aerated pond system for the treatment of Airport runoff. Fourth World Wide Workshop for Young Environmental Scientists (Paris, France 10-13 May 2005) - Urban waters: Resource or Risk- Paper Presentation.