Dr Stewart Martin
- The philosophical critique of capitalist culture
- The relation between theories and practices of contemporary art
- The legacy of post-Kantian philosophies of art
- The legacy of Frankfurt School Critical Theory, particularly Adorno.
- Senior Lecturer in Modern European Philosophy, Aesthetics and Art Theory
- Programme Leader of BA Honours Fine Art and Critical Theory
- 'Artistic Communism : A Sketch', in Third Text, forthcoming in summer 2009
- 'Visual Culture or Art?', in Kunst und Politik, Bd. 10, 2008, pp. 21-28.
- 'Pedagogy of Human Capital', in Mute, vol. 2, #8, 2008. Also available at: http://www.metamute.org/en/Pedagogy-of-Human-Capital
- 'The Absolute Artwork Meets The Absolute Commodity', in Radical Philosophy, no. 146, Nov/Dec 2007, pp. 15-25.
- 'Wall's Tableau Mort', in Oxford Art Journal, (special issue on Jeff Wall), vol 30.1, March 2007, 117-133.
- 'An Aesthetic Education Against Aesthetic Education', in Radical Philosophy, no. 141, Jan/Feb 2007, pp. 39-42. (Contribution to the Documenta 12 Journals project.)
- 'Critique of Relational Aesthetics', in ISMS : Recuperating Political Radicality in Contemporary Art: Constructing the Political, Verksted no. 8, Kuzma and Osborne eds., Office for Contemporary Art Norway, Oslo, 2007, pp. 97-127. Republished in Third Text, Volume 21, Issue 4, July 2007, pp. 369-386
- 'Literature and the Modern System of the Arts: Adorno's Theory of Art and the Arts:', in Adorno and Literature, Cunningham and Mapp eds., Continuum, London and New York, 2006, pp. 9-25.
- 'Culs-de-sac' [Review article of Jacques Rancière, The Politics of Aesthetics: The Distribution of the Sensible and Alain Badiou, Handbook of Inaesthetics], in Radical Philosophy, no. 131, May/June, 2005, pp. 39-44. Translated in Le Monde Diplomatique (Norwegian-Danish edition), April 2006, pp. 18-19.
- 'W.G. Sebald and the Modern Art of Memory', Radical Philosophy, no. 132, July/Aug 2005, pp.18-30. Reprinted in Photography and Literature in the Twentieth Century, Cunningham, Fisher and Mays eds., Cambridge Scholars Press, 2005, pp. 180-201.
- 'A New World Art? Documenting Documenta 11', Radical Philosophy, no. 122, Nov/Dec, 2003, pp. 7-19.
- 'Anti-Art and Autonomy: Adorno's Theory of Avant-Garde Art', (special section on 'The Aesthetics of Late Modernism', edited by J.M. Bernstein) Constellations, vol. 7, no. 2, 2000, pp. 197-207. Republished in Theodor Adorno. Sage Masters in Modern Social Thought, 4 volumes, Delanty ed., Sage Publications, 2004, in vol. 2 ('Aesthetic Theory'), pp. 179-91
I am working on a book entitled 'Absolute Art'
Member of the editorial collective and reviews editor for the journal Radical Philosophy