Prof Suzan Lewis
Professor Lewis came to Middlesex in 2006. Prior to that she was a professor at MMU and a visiting professor at the (then) School of Management at UMIST. Her research focuses on gender and “work-life balance” issues and workplace practice, culture and change, in diverse national contexts. She has led many national and international research projects on these topics and has worked with employers and policy makers on work-life issues in Europe, Asia and North America. She has held research grants from the EU, The Ford Foundation, The Joseph Rowntree Foundation, ESRC,the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, the Tedworth Trust and the Department of Health. She was a founding editor of the journal Community, Work and Family
- PhD Manchester School of Management, UMIST
- MEd University of Manchester
- BA (Hons) Psychology, University of Manchester
Selected research grants
- 2007-8 Member EU Expert Group on Women in Science, Technology and Engineering (action research project)
- 2006-8. UK partner in EU Framework Six project QUALITY : Quality of life in a changing Europe. European Commission (www.projectquality.org)
- 2003-5 Co-ordinator, Gender, Parenthood and Organisational change. (Transitions) Framework Five project. European Commission (www.workliferesearch.org/transitions
- 2001- 2003 Looking Backwards to Move Forwards. A study of the work-personal life movement in 7 countries. The Ford Foundation
- 2000-2002 Flexible futures: flexible working and home-work balance in the accountancy profession.. Centre for Business Performance, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
- 1998-9 Benchmarking work-family policies. Funded by The Post Office, HSBC, DfEE and the Industrial Society.
- 1998-9 The impact of organisational change on families. The Tedworth Trust
- 1996-8 Co-ordinator of EU study: The reconciliation of future work and family: Young people's orientations to work and family in five European states. European Commission1995-7 Parents combining employment with the care of disabled children: Supports and needs. Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- 1995-7 Parents combining employment with the care of disabled children: Supports and needs. Joseph Rowntree Foundation.(£38,564)
- 1995-6 Drug using mothers and the role of service providers. Department of Health.
- 1994-5 Illicit drug use in early motherhood. Department of Health.
Selected publications (since 2000)
- Bach Pedersen, V and Lewis, S (2012) Flexible friends? Flexible working time arrangements, blurred work-life boundaries and friendship Work, Employment and Society 26 . 3, 464 - 480
- Herman, C and Lewis, S (2012) Entitled to a sustainable career? Motherhood in science, engineering and technology. Journal of Social Issues 68(4), 767-789
- Herman, C., Lewis, S and Humbert, A (2012) Women Scientists and Engineers in European Companies: Putting Motherhood under the microscope Gender, Work and Organization
- Den Dulk, L., Peper, B., Černigoj Sadar, N., Lewis, S., Smithson, J and Van Doorne-Huiskes, A (2011) Work, Family, and Managerial Attitudes and Practices in the European Workplace: Comparing Dutch, British, and Slovenian Financial Sector Managers, Social Politics 18(2) 300-329
- Lewis, S (2010 ) Reflecting on impact, changes and continuities. Restructuring workplace cultures: the ultimate work-family challenge? Gender in Management Issue 25(5) 348-35
- Lewis, S and Humbert, A (2010) Discourse or reality? “Work-life balance”, flexible working policies and gendered organisations Equality, Diversity and Inclusion 29 3 239-254
- P Van Echtelt, A. Glebbeek, S.Lewis and S.Lindenburg (2009) Post-Fordist work: a man’s world? Gender and working overtime in the NetherlandsGender and Society 23, 188-214
- Lewis,S., Brannen, J and Nilsen, A ( 2008 Work, Families amd Organizations in Transition. Policy Press
- Gambles, R. Lewis, S and Rapoport, R ( 2007) The Myth of Work-Life Balance. Wiley
- Lewis, S, Rapoport, R and Gambles, R, (2007), "The constraints of a 'work-life balance' approach: An international perspective", The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 18 (3), 360-373, ISSN: 0958-5192.
- Smithson, J., Lewis, S., Cooper, C. and Dyer, J. (2004). Flexible working and the gender pay gap in the accountancy profession. Work, Employment and Society 18/1 (115-135)
- Lewis, S. Rapoport, and Gambles et al 2003 Reflections on the integration of work and personal life Journal of Managerial Psychology, 18, 824-841
- Lewis, S 2003 The integration of work and personal life. Is post industrial work the new leisure? Leisure Studies 22 343-355
- Lewis, S and Smithson, J (2001) Sense of entitlement to support for the reconciliation of employment and family life Human Relations 55(11). 1455-1481
- Sullivan, C and Lewis, S (2001) Home-based telework, gender and the synchronisation of work and family; perspectives of teleworkers and their co-residents. Gender, Work and Organisation. 8,2 123-145
- Lewis,S., Kagan,C and Heaton.P 2000 Dual earner parents with disabled children. Patterns for working and caring. Journal of Family Issues, 21 8 1031- 1060
- Work-life integration
- Flexible working
- Gender equity
- Organisational changet
- Qualitative research methods
- Work-life integration/work-life balance
- Flexible working arrangements
- Organisational culture
- Organisational change
- The impact of national and organisational policies to support the integration of work and personal life
- Gender and work
- Life course, Age and work
- Vulnerable workers
Herman, Clem , Lewis, Suzan and Humbert, Anne Laure (2012) Women scientists and engineers in European companies: putting motherhood under the microscope. Gender, Work and Organization, 20 (5). pp. 467-478. ISSN 0968-6673
Wednesday 7, August 2013
Anderson, Deirdre , Lewis, Suzan , Lyonette, C. , Payne, Nicky and Wood, S. (2013) Work-life balance policies, practices and discourse and public sector cuts. In: The BPS Division of Occupational Psychology Conference 2013: Connecting and contributing to make a difference, 9-11 January 2013, Chester, UK. (Unpublished)
Monday 15, July 2013
Pedersen, Vivi Bach and Lewis, Suzan (2012) Flexible friends? Flexible working time arrangements, blurred work-life boundaries and friendship. Work, Employment and Society, 26 (3). pp. 464-480. ISSN 0950-0170
Thursday 23, February 2012
Herman, Clem and Lewis, Suzan (2012) Entitled to a sustainable career? Motherhood in science, engineering and technology. Journal of Social Issues, 68 (4). pp. 767-789. ISSN 0022-4537
Thursday 23, February 2012
Summary Report on National Debates on the Reconciliation of Family and Employment, from the EU Framework V project Gender, Parenthood and the Changing European Workplace (Transitions).
Smithson, Janet and Lewis, Suzan (2005) Summary Report on National Debates on the Reconciliation of Family and Employment, from the EU Framework V project Gender, Parenthood and the Changing European Workplace (Transitions). Project Report. Research Institute for Health and Social Change (RIHSC). (Unpublished)
Friday 27, January 2012
Final Report of the EU Framework V project Gender, Parenthood and the Changing European Workplace (Transitions).
Lewis, Suzan and Smithson, Janet (2006) Final Report of the EU Framework V project Gender, Parenthood and the Changing European Workplace (Transitions). Project Report. Research Institute for Health and Social Change (RIHSC).
Wednesday 25, January 2012
Work, family, and managerial attitudes and practices in the European workplace: comparing Dutch, British, and Slovenian financial sector managers
Den Dulk, Laura , Peper, Bram , Sadar, Nevenka Černigoj , Lewis, Suzan , Smithson, Janet and Van Doorne-Huiskes, Anneke (2011) Work, family, and managerial attitudes and practices in the European workplace: comparing Dutch, British, and Slovenian financial sector managers. Social Politics, 18 (2). pp. 300-329. ISSN 1072-4745
Friday 13, January 2012
You can stand on your head and still end up with lower pay: gliding segregation and gendered work practices in Danish 'family-friendly' workplaces
Holt, Helle and Lewis, Suzan (2011) You can stand on your head and still end up with lower pay: gliding segregation and gendered work practices in Danish 'family-friendly' workplaces. Gender, Work & Organization, 18 (S1). pp. 202-221. ISSN 0968-6673
Friday 13, January 2012
Reflecting on impact, changes and continuities: restructuring workplace cultures: the ultimate work-family challenge.
Lewis, Suzan (2010) Reflecting on impact, changes and continuities: restructuring workplace cultures: the ultimate work-family challenge. Gender in Management , 25 (5). pp. 348-365. ISSN 1754-2413
Tuesday 14, September 2010
Lewis, Suzan and Roper, Ian (2008) Flexibility and work-life balance. In: Human resource management: a case study approach. Muller-Camen, Michael , Croucher, Richard and Leigh, Susan , eds. Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, London, pp. 181-199. ISBN 9781843981657
Monday 29, March 2010