Senior Leaning Development Tutor
BSc Education, Minor in English, ESOL Certified
MSc Interactive Computing Systems
MPhil in Computing Science
DProf Work Based Learning (ePedagogy)
Details of research and scholarly interests; eLearning Research and Development; Learning Technology Design, Web Video Conferencing, Professional Social Networks, Learning Management Systems
- Work Based Learning, web video conferencing and webinars
- Work Based Learning Project Modules, IWBL - QA Link Tutor Cohort Inductions and Tutorials
Skip has been researching eLearning pedagogy, and teaching, since moving from the United States to England to pursue his graduate education in the mid-1990s. He is a certified online tutor for the University for Industry, has published his research internationally, and has been the keynote speaker at several international eLearning conferences. In 2004, Skip was awarded the title "eTutor of the Year" by the Higher Education Academy-UK.
Skip's eLearning research has enabled him to work with trans-national partners in European higher education as well as private organizations, corporate trainers, and government agencies. A prime example is the British Council—CEDEFOP study, hosted by Middlesex University in 2004.
A former US primary school teacher, Skip holds a BS in Education from Central Connecticut State University, as well as an MSc. and MPhil. in Computing Science from Middlesex University. He is finishing his Professional Doctorate in eLearning Pedagogy at MU.
- London – Writing Bursary, ‘Work Based Learning Models’
- Open University – Netherlands Conference, ‘ePedagogy and Learning Models’ and ‘eProgramme Plan as a PDF form’
- Portugal Conference – ‘Work Based Leaning Webcast and the Rapid ePublishing Model’
- Learning Technology Magazine, Argentina – ‘Trends and Technical Innovations in Learning’
- LATHE, online journal – Case study: ‘Work based learning interactive webcasts and the professional social network model’
- The media literacy spectrum: shifting pedagogic design’ – ED MEDIA Conference submission
- 7th European eLearning Conference – Cyprus: ‘Exploring a professional social network environment for learning and development’ ‘Digital Video Seminars for work based learning’ and ‘Web video conferencing to promote work based learning’ – eCollaboative knowledgebook chapter, pending
- ICDE Open University – Netherlands conference proposals
- 'Investigating the illusion of 'real-time' eLearning events' Blended Learning Conference, U of Herts.06/07
- 'Real-time eLearning events: a new 'blended approach', eLearning Conference – U. of Greenwich 06/07 (delayed to '08)
- 'A European Perspective of Work Based Learning: Lessons from a CEDEFOP Study Visit', UALL Work Based Learning Conference – MU, July '07
- 'Micro Learning – Didactics of Microlearning: Concepts, Discourses and examples', Chapter 5- Waxman ISBN: 978-3-8309-1869-1
- LATTIS Book Review of 'Rethinking Pedagogy for a Digital Age – Designing and delivering e-learning' ISBN: 9780415408745 2008 'The media literacy spectrum: shifting pedagogic design' – ED MEDIA Conference submission Exploring a professional social network environment for learning and development 'Exploring a professional social network environment for learning and development' - 7th Annual e-Learning Conference, Cyprus
Invited presentations and consultancy 2008
- BETT Conference, Olympia – London: 'WBL Offline Induction Resource Project'
- Wine and Spirits Trust – International blended solutions for members' eLearning
- NIIT – Subject Matter Expert for New Media University Course
- Open University – Invitation to be an External Examiner - Effective Virtual Teams, S.A.Rae@open.ac.uk
- ‘Blending Formal and Informal Learning within an International Learning Network’, with John Cook, et al. – Networked Learning Conference ’06 - UK
- ’Introduction to eBusiness applications’ co-authored with Aboubakr Abdel Moteleb ISBN: 1 904750 26 5, MU Press Limited 2005
- ‘"How can ICT promote the teaching, learning and use of Research Methods in a Work Based Learning context?"
- 2007: HEA – 'Multimodal On-line systems for Explaining Programs' - £3,000 (accepted)
- 2008: HSSC and CEWBL – Digital Video Research Seminar Project - £4,000 (accepted)
- 2008: IWBL & CEWBL – Offline Induction Resource for WBL & Seafarers - £10,000 (accepted)
- 2008: FP7 – Technology Enhanced Learning bid – 3 million Euros (pending)
- 2008: British Council – Comenius Funding for Novis Project with St. Martha's School 14,000 Euros (pending)