Professor Carol Costley
Cert Ed BEd, MA, PhD
Principal research interests include examining methodologies and epistemologies in work based learning and how they are additional to and support subject based approaches to knowledge. Within that looking particularly at work based learning as a field of study, especially transdisciplinarity, equity and access. Carol has a research interest in the ethical issues involved in practitioner-led research and development projects and the issues that concern the professional area as well as those issues usually considered by researchers. Other research interests include assessment and accreditation of work based learning, policy issues in relation to the work based learning curriculum and research in work based learning and professional studies.
Carol Costley is a Professor in Work Based Learning and Head of the Work Based Learning research centre at Middlesex University’s Hendon campus. She gained her PhD (1995) from the University of Surrey and she holds a Master’s Degree in Work Based Learning Studies. She also holds professional qualifications in teaching and learning.
Relevant Experience and Interests:
- Convenor of the Universities Association for Lifelong Learning (UALL) network for Work Based Learning. 1998- Present and a member of the UALL Executive Committee.
- Working with organisations in the private, public, community and voluntary sectors internationally in the learning and teaching of work-based, taught and research degrees particularly in Cyprus where she has been developing the Work Based Learning and Doctorate in Professional Studies programmes since 1996. There are now significant student cohorts in Cyprus on Bachelor, Master and Doctoral awards.
- Link tutor for Ashridge Consulting in relation to their Doctorate in Organisational Consultancy and was the link for Forum for the Future, Masters in Professional Studies programme 1999- 2006
- Costley, C. (2010) (forthcoming) Work Based Knowledge; widening epistemological perspectives London, New York; Continuum
- Costley, C., Elliott, G. And Gibbs, P. (2010) (forthcoming) Work-based Research; approaches to enquiry for insider-researchers London; Sage
- Costley, C. (2010) (forthcoming) ‘Workplace Learning and Higher Education.’ In An International Handbook of Workplace Learning Edits Karen Evans, M. Malloch, L.Cairns and B. O’Connor London; Sage
- Garnett, J., Costley, C. and Workman, B. (Eds.) (2009) Work Based Learning in Higher Education Middlesex University Press
- Costley, C. and Stephenson, J. (2008) ‘Building doctorates around individual candidates’ professional experience’ In Changing Practices of Doctoral Education Edits. David Boud and Alison Lee, London; Routledge pp261-285<
- Costley, C. (2007) ‘Integrating Research and Workforce Development Activities’. In: Incorporating the Learning People do For, In and Through Work into Higher Education Programmes of Study UVAC / LCCI Commercial Education Trust pp88-95