Dr Darryll Bravenboer
Phd - Commodification and the Official Discourse of Higher Education
MA Philosophy of Education
BEd (Hons) Art and Design
Qualified Teacher Status
Dr Darryll Bravenboer joined Middlesex University in 2009. He was previously Lifelong Learning Network Director in the Faculty of Interdisciplinary Studies at the University of Hertfordshire. This role included collaborating with eleven higher education institutions, thirty three further education colleges, employers and other regional and national organisations to promote progression through vocational and work-based routes across the East of England. He also took the strategic lead for progression agreements, curriculum development funding and the distribution of HEFCE Additional Student Numbers to partner institutions across the region. His previous roles have included being Director of Higher Education within a large Higher and Further Education College and Head of an Art, Design and Media Department with responsibility for over 1,000 students.
Dr Bravenboer has extensive experience of developing professional and work-based higher education provision in response to the needs of a wide range of employment sectors in diverse higher education contexts. This has included leading partnership working with many universities, other education providers and businesses. He also has significant experience of higher education funding, quality assurance and enhancement practices and procedures as well as the development of creative approaches to learning, teaching and assessment.
Dr Bravenboer seeks to deploy his knowledge, skills and expertise to generate innovative responses to the changing landscape of higher education.
Dr Bravenboer has a key interest in the development and enhancement of the transdisciplinary field of professional and work-based learning.
He also leads the University's work in developing Professional and higher Apprenticeships and this currently includes initiatives in the folioing professional practice sectors:
- Construction Management
- Quantity Surveying
- Civil Engineering
- Commercial Aviation
- Retail Management
- Care Services Management
As an Academic Associate of the Higher Education Academy, Dr Bravenboer uses his expertise to support individuals, teams and higher education communities to enhance the quality and impact of learning and teaching.
- The philosophy and sociology of education Higher education policy and practice
- The discursive construction of 'higher education'
- The constructive description of texts as an analytical methodology
- The idea of the commodification of higher education
- Fair access to higher education, widening participation and lifelong learning
- Professional, vocational and employer-responsive higher education curriculum development
- Work/practice-based learning and its role in individual and organisational development
- Academic credit and the recognition of higher-level learning
- Professional and Higher Apprenticeships
- Professional competence assessment through work-based learning
- Progression to higher education through vocational and work/practice-based routes
- Higher education quality assurance practices
- Creative and cultural industries sector higher education
Bravenboer, Darryll (2012) The official discourse of fair access to higher education. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning, 14 (3). pp. 120-140. ISSN 1466-6529
Anderson, Adrian and Bravenboer, Darryll and Hemsworth, David (2012) The role of universities in higher apprenticeship development. Higher Education, Skills and Work-based Learning, 2 (3). pp. 240-255. ISSN 2042-3896
Bravenboer, Darryll (2011) Progression and fair access to higher education in the creative industries sector. In: Inclusive practices, inclusive pedagogies: learning from widening participation research in Art and Design Higher Education. Bhagat, Dipti and O’Neill, Peter , eds. CHEAD / ukadia / ACE / ADM-HEA Subject Centre, pp. 104-118. ISBN 9780955947346
Bravenboer, Darryll (2011) Maximising employer-responsive progression through organisational development. In: Learning from experience in employer engagement. Tallantyre, Freda and Kettle, Jane , eds. The Higher Education Academy, pp. 34-44.
Using virtual spaces for learning communities to facilitate project development and collaborative learning
Toneva, Katya and Doncaster, Kathy and Bravenboer, Darryll (2012) Using virtual spaces for learning communities to facilitate project development and collaborative learning. In: eLmL 2012, The Fourth International Conference on Mobile, Hybrid, and On-line Learning. Valerdi, Jose and Krämer, Bernd and White, Stephen , eds. IARIA, pp. 111-115. ISBN 9781612081809
Bravenboer, Darryll (2010) Maximising employer-responsive progression. In: Developing a new relationship between employers and higher education? Emerging lessons from HEFCE-funded workforce development projects, 2nd December 2010, Conference Aston, Birmingham. (Unpublished)
Bravenboer, Darryll (2009) Commodification and the official discourse of higher education. PhD thesis, Institute of Education, University of London.
Bravenboer, Darryll (2007) Progression accords, additional student numbers and development funds. In: MOVE in Action: Two years on, 4th December 2007, Rowley Mile, Newmarket. (Unpublished)
Bravenboer, Darryll (2008) What are the barriers to establishing effective diploma progression pathways. In: 3rd Annual 14-19 Diplomas Conference , 16th September 2008, New Connaught Rooms, London. (Unpublished)
Bravenboer, Darryll (2010) Higher ambitions for fair access and work based learning. In: Work based learning futures 4: Policy into practice?, 15th April 2010, Middlesex University. (Unpublished)
- Chair of the Middlesex University Accreditation Board
- Chair of the Middlesex University Work Based Learning Framework Programme Approval Panel
- Member of the Middlesex University Academic Provision Approval Committee
- Member of the Middlesex University Articulation Board
- SEEC Credit Consortium Trustee and Governing Council Member
- National Skills Academy for Retail Higher Education Steering Group member
- Construction Industry Training Board Advisory Group Member
- Linking London Credit Accumulation and Transfer Project Steering Group member
- Higher Education Academy Employer Engagement Group member
Recent funded projects
- Higher Apprenticeship in Construction Management, (2012-2013), funded by National Apprenticeship Service/Skills Funding Agency (£1.5m) – Project Manager
- Retail Management Higher Apprenticeship progression pathways, (2013), funded by National Apprenticeship Service/Skills Funding Agency (£30k) – Project Manager
- Higher Apprenticeship for Professional Pilots Project, (2013) funded by National Apprenticeship Service/Skills Funding Agency (£24k) - Academic Developer
- Integrating professional recognition into the development of higher education qualifications 2012-present), Funded by Linking London (£3k) – Project Manager
- Professional Development Qualifications, (2010) funded by Linking London (£3k) – Project Manager
- Progression Agreements from Advanced Apprenticeships to Higher Education provision, (2010) funded by Linking London (£3k) – Project Manager
- Middlesex Organisational Development Network (MODNet), (2009- 2012), funded by HEFCE Strategic Development Fund (£8m) – Senior Manager