Saved pages

    Close window

    Section navigation

    Research Degree Fees and Studentships

    Fees and studentships

    Fees and Studentships

    Fees vary across the range of subjects offered by the University and full details are given with the individual study programme descriptions. The following is a general guide to annual fees (ie, the rate per year) for research degrees.

    Research degree fees 2014-15

    The fees below apply to the MPhil/PhD, MA/MSc/LLM by Research, EngD, EdD, ArtsM and ArtsD research degrees.

    Students from the UK and other parts of the EU:

    • Full-time £3732 per year
    • Part-time £1866 per year

    Students from overseas (outside the EU):

    • Full-time £9700 per year
    • Part-time £4850 per year (only available via distance learning; due to UK Government visa regulations, students from outside the EU may not study part-time in the UK)

    PHD by Public Works have a non-refundable application fee of £500. This fee is discounted against the course fee upon entry to the course. The course fee for a Public Works research degree is the appropriate full-time PHD fee.

    Some programmes require an additional annual studio/bench/laboratory fee.

    A different fee structure exists for the MProf/DProf and MProf/DProf by Public Works. Please see the appropriate programme pages for further information. Please note that fees are subject to change in subsequent years.

    Contact for more information.

    Other sources of funding

    Funding for research degrees is limited and most research degree students are expected to pay their own fees and subsistence costs. From time to time we have research studentships available, details of which will be posted below.

    The Find a PhD website has more information on potential sources of funding for research degrees.

    Paying your fees


    Tuition fees are due at enrolment.

    To assist students, instalment agreements are available. These should be agreed directly with our finance department before the start of your programme. Please see our finance pages for further information. Please note that financial penalties apply if these agreements are defaulted upon.


    All debit and credit cards, except American Express and Diners Card, are accepted. Cash and cheques (made payable to Middlesex University) can be paid into campus finance offices.

    Refunds/withdrawal policy

    If you decide to withdraw from a programme of study you must notify your campus student office in writing. Students should be aware that an administration charge will be made for the period from enrolment until a formal withdrawal is made.

    It is therefore advisable that any student considering withdrawing confirms the extent of any financial implications with their campus finance office.

    Research Studentships

    There are currently no research studentships available for this academic year. We shall advertise any studentships available in the future here so do check back periodically.

    In this section

    Back to top

    We use Cookies

    View our Privacy and Cookie policy