The Middlesex PGCE Secondary Business Studies course is one year full-time. It equips you to inspire pupils through the use of engaging interactive workshops, lectures and structured debates. You receive personal attention through regular tutor visits to school placements and individual tutorials. Schools are carefully selected to suit individuals and expose them to imaginative and thought provoking teaching and learning strategies.
The course aims to prepare you for the teaching profession. It will:
- Enable you to develop knowledge and understanding of pupils and their learning
- Develop your expertise in highly specialised professional skills in a context where you'll need to exercise initiative and take personal responsibility for decision making in complex and unpredictable situations
- Equip you with the pedagogic knowledge, understanding and skills to teach effectively across the 14-19 age range
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of the Secondary Business Studies curriculum
- Enable you to understand, critically evaluate and respond to the needs of children in multicultural, multilingual and multifaith settings and schools in an international, urban environment.
Two thirds (120 days) of the PGCE Secondary Business Studies course will be on placement. We have excellent relationships with schools in north London, Essex and Hertfordshire and many of our graduates go on to work in their first teaching job at the schools where they had a placement.
In 2012, the secondary teacher training programmes at Middlesex were rated Good with Outstanding Features (by Ofsted), an excellent result for a large and diverse provider of teacher training.
- Year 1
- School Experience 1 (20 Credits) - Compulsory
- This module aims to prepare students for their first School Experience by supporting their preparation and enabling them to collaborate with each other, their subject mentors, and co-ordinating mentors so that they can address the standards specified by the statutory teaching standards, while undertaking on School Experience 1. The school based element of the module is 50 days.
- School Experience 2 (40 Credits) - Compulsory
- This module aims to provide an extended, individual school experience across 11-16, 11-18 or 14-19 where students build upon their experience on school experience 1. They build up to a 60% teaching load across the placement, which is 74 days in total, across a 6 month period, so that they can address the standards specified by the the statutory teaching standards.
Studies in your specialist subject (includes Professional Studies)
A structured programme of subject teaching methodology and application workshops and seminars. You will develop the knowledge and skills required to teach your chosen subject. You will be able to identify and evaluate effective strategies for assessing children's learning in the selected subject, through formative and summative assessment strategies. You will critically evaluate the effectiveness of a wide range of resources and your own lesson plans. You will understand the importance of literacy, numeracy and ICT in delivering an effective curriculum and as transferable skills. You will analyse research data and critically evaluate how research has contributed to the knowledge and understanding of how to teach your subject effectively.
Professional studies: This is a programme of lectures and seminars focusing on contemporary issues in education and professional development. This part of the programme takes place partly at the University and partly at school by lectures, workshops and seminars to mixed subject groups.
You will find this an intensive 36-week, five-days-a-week programme, during which you will also have directed work to carry out during the Christmas and Easter holiday periods.
Students spend at least 120 days in schools, this includes two block School Experiences, where they teach for approximately 60% of the timetable. Each School Experience has a block element to provide students with a sustained teaching experience over the complete teaching week. The rest of the programme (60 days) is university based, where students attend lectures, seminars and practical workshops.
Subject studies are assessed by a portfolio of coursework and a school-based special study (a teaching resource). Progressive developments of teaching skills are recorded using criteria referenced assessment proforma. Professional studies are assessed by a range of written tasks. Observation of the students, teaching and evaluative discussions with course tutors and school based mentors and teachers.
You can find out more about teaching and assessment in the programme specification.
You need at least a 2.2 Bachelors hons degree in a subject relevant to your chosen subject area. You must also have a GCSE grade C or above in English and Maths. Equivalency tests for GCSE English and Maths will only be provided in exceptional circumstances. It is also recommended that you undertake at least two weeks work experience within a Secondary Business Studies classroom before applying. We do not accept direct applications for our PGCE programmes. Please apply for this course via the Graduate Teacher Training registry website, www.gttr.ac.uk
Professional skills tests
Prior to commencing the course, you must pass Department for Education professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy. You are advised to pass them wherever possible before your interview in order to give yourself the best possible chance of success. However if you haven’t passed at the time of the interview and you receive an offer it will be conditional on passing the tests by a nominated date. Please visit our dedicated webpage for further information about how to prepare and book for the profesional skills tests.
International Entry Requirements
We accept the equivalent of the above from a recognised overseas qualification. To find out more about the requirements from your country, see further information under support in your country. For details of other equivalent requirements that Middlesex accepts see entry requirements.
English language requirements for international students
You must have competence in English language and we normally require Grade C GCSE or an equivalent qualification. The most common English Language requirements for international students are IELTS 7.0 (with minimum 6.0 in all four components) or TOEFL internet based 87 (with at least 21 in listening & writing, 22 in speaking and 23 in reading).
Application and interview process
You need to apply via the UCAS website. The institution code for Middlesex is M80, and the code name is MIDDX. You also need the code for the course you wish to apply for – this is N1X1.
- If you are shortlisted, you will be invited to attend an interview. Invites will be sent by email, so please check your email account regularly, including the spam folders.
- If you are successful at interview, you will then be offered a place on the course subject to academic, health and police check requirements. Your offer will also be conditional subject to passing the Department for Education professional skills tests by a nominated date, in the event that you have not already passed the skills tests at the time of the interview.
Our Careers Service offers you a range of support both while you’re studying with us – and after you’ve graduated.
Work placements are integral to the PGCE Secondary Business Studies degree. Our course is well-known for having a strong and committed partnership with local schools, whose mentors and class teachers train with the University. As a student, you will have the opportunity for rich and varied placements in the multilingual, multicultural and multifaith schools.
Our Employability Service can help you to develop your employability skills and get some valuable work experience. We provide workshops, events and one-to-one support with job hunting, CVs, covering letters, interviews and networking. We also support you in securing part-time work, placements, internships, and volunteering opportunities, and offer an enterprise support service for those looking to start their own business.
PGCE Business Studies
I chose to apply to PGCE Business Studies at Middlesex because they were one of the few universities in London that provide a wide range of subjects such as Business Studies. They also have experienced professionals who guide you throughout the course. The course was everything I thought it was going to be; my programme leader for Business Studies was fantastic and a great support to me and my peers on the course. Choosing to do a PGCE Business Studies at Middlesex University was one of the best decisions I have made.
£9,000 per year full time
£11,000 per year full time
UK/EU students can apply for a tuition fee loan which covers your fees and is only repayable after your graduate. In addition, UK students may be eligible for additional grants and loans. Visit our postgraduate funding page to find out more.