Education: Teaching programmes
Teacher training at Middlesex University in London includes both one-year PGCE courses as well as School Direct. In 2012, the ITT Secondary Programmes at Middlesex were rated Good with Outstanding Features (by Ofsted) an excellent result for a large and diverse provider of teacher training. 99% of our students go on to succesfully complete their course; the highest completion rate in London and second highest in the UK.
We have an outstanding employability rate for our PGCE graduates and many of our graduates go on to work in their first job at the same school where they undertake course placements.
- PGCE Primary Education (with QTS)
- PGCE Secondary Business Studies
- PGCE Secondary Citizenship
- PGCE Secondary Computer Science with ICT (and Enhancement course)
- PGCE Secondary English
- PGCE Secondary Mathematics
- PGCE Secondary Music
- PGCE Secondary Science with Biology
- PGCE Secondary Science with Chemistry
- PGCE Secondary Science with Physics
- PGCE Secondary Science with Physics with Maths
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement course for computer science
You can find out more about our PGCE courses by booking your place for our next postgraduate open evening.
School Direct is an innovative new programme which offers you a way to qualify as a teacher while based mainly in a school. It is an alternative to PGCE. You can follow an individual training programme leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). With QTS, you can work as a qualified teacher in any maintained school in England. Participating schools select trainees with the expectation that they will then go on to work within the school where they train, although this can not be guaranteed. There are two routes:
- TheSchool Direct Training (Fees)programme where you complete the programme as a student attached to a school. You will pay a tuition fee but will be able to access student loans and, depending on subject and grade of degree, you may be eligible for a bursary.
- TheSchool Direct Training (Salaried) programme involves the same training opportunities as the School Direct Training programme and is available to high-quality graduates with at least three years’ work experience who will earn a salary while they train.
Early Years Initial Teacher Training
- Early Years Initial Teacher Training: Graduate Entry Employment Based Route
- Early Years Initial Teacher Training: Assessment Only Route
We also offer postgraduate CPD programmes for teaching professionals.