Sports physiotherapy today is a highly competitive profession which demands experienced practitioners with specialist skills and competencies. The MSc Sport Physiotherapy and Exercise Medicine at Middlesex has been created specifically for Chartered Physiotherapists who wish to follow a sports career path, giving you the qualifications and experience necessary to apply for accreditation with the Association of Sports Physiotherapists in Sport and Exercise Medicine (ACPSEM) and International Federation of Sports Physiotherapists (IFSPT).
Why study MSc Sport Physiotherapy and Exercise Medicine at Middlesex?
Middlesex is widely regarded as one of the best universities in the UK to study sport. The London Sports Institute at Middlesex University is based at Saracens RFC's Allianz Park, where we regularly treat elite athletes in our high-tech biomechanics and physiology labs and new rehabilitation suite. This gives you the opportunity to carry out a research project on a subject of your choice alongside professional physiologists, biomechanists and clinicians.
Our master's degree is one of a few in the UK to build clinical placements into the course. Students spend 150 hours over the duration of the course working on clinical placement in a sports environment. Some of these hours can be at your place of work if appropriate, however we can offer hours in our own London Sport Institute Sport Injuries Clinic supervised by clinicians who work with athletes at national and international levels.
We have links with professional sports teams where clinical hours can be carried out, This means you complete your masters degree with significant experience in professional sport, often within an MDT setting. In addition to this, you will obtain the requisite qualifications for ACPSEM and IFSPT accreditation – putting you in a great position to begin a career in sport. The teams may change from year to year but we have ongoing placements with the Saracens Women's squad so you will have many opportunities to work with these elite athletes throughout the rugby season, pre-season training and fitness testing.
The course can be studied full-time or part-time to fit around existing work commitments, and is taught by clinicians who have significant experience working with national and international sporting organisations. You will also study pitch-side trauma treatment with Rugby Football Union trauma doctors and teaching staff, gaining a Level 2 Immediate Care qualification as standard.
- Spend a minimum of 150 hours on clinical placement during the degree
- The course is mapped to the ACPSEM and IFSPT accreditation pathways
- Study the course full-time or part-time to fit around your current work commitments
- Work with elite athletes from prestigious organisations
- Gain a pitchside trauma Level 2 Immediate Care in Sport qualification while working with RFU trauma doctors and teaching staff
- Learn from practising national and international clinicians, prominent biomechanists and physiologists
- Study in our ultramodern facilities at Allianz Park, the home of Saracens RFC.
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.