This one-day course is designed to provide an invaluable insight into financial principles and concepts for managers and business owners. The skills you'll acquire will give you a better understanding of the financial operations within your company. You'll develop your understanding of financial control, gaining insight and knowledge you can use in your own work.
This intensive course covers:
- Financial information and its value for management and decision-making
- Balance sheet, profit and loss
- Income and expenditure accounts for non-profit organisations
- Financial measures of business performance – calculation and interpretation of accounting Ratios
- Cash, profit and cash flow forecasting and credit control
- Sources of finance and their characteristics
- Source documents in accounting, such as invoices
- Interpretation of financial accounts, including basic accounting principles, profit and loss, balance sheet, year end adjustments, and capital and revenue expenditure
- Financial controls, including asset control and internal control, credit management and cash flow
- Costing and price, including materials, labour and overheads, cost, profit and breakeven, and cost behaviour and marginal costing
- Management accounting, including long-term planning, short term, budgetary control and investment appraisal.
By the end of the session, you'll be able to:
- Understand financial documents that are produced for managers
- Identify and understand the final accounting documents produced by your organisation
- Recognise the most significant financial indicators of business performance and their relevance
- Grasp the inherent difference between cash and profit, and the need for cash flow forecast and credit control
- List the main sources of long, medium and short-term funds for business
- Recognise a variety of source documents, i.e. invoices, and their importance
This course is part of the Institute for Work-Based Learning (IWBL) Management Series and other workshops include:
Completion of four of the workshops in this series and a Work-Based Learning Report leads to a Middlesex University Certificate in Personal and Professional Development NQF Level 4.