Most people working in a business will get involved in interviewing at some point in their career. But do you know what it takes to be a successful interviewer?
This practical course will give you up-to-date techniques so you can be entirely confident of your performance. You'll learn key legal considerations, pick up essential tips to help you handle real-life situations and develop first-class interviewing skills.
This intensive one-day course covers the key skills and knowledge for successful interviews:
- Interview types – formal and informal, including selection, exit, grievance, disciplinary, counselling, appraisal, supervision and information gathering/investigation
- Appropriate climate for conduct of an interview
- Structure and format of interviews according to purpose
- Legal and ethical considerations in relation to interviewing
- Questioning and listening techniques
- Impact of non-verbal communication
- Ways to analyse and interpret information gained (facts, evidence, opinion, meaning)
- Recording information (eg for subsequent challenges) and interview outcomes
- Importance of feeding back during and after interviews to interviewee and authorised people, and methods of doing so.
By the end of the session, you'll be able to:
- Understand the range of uses for interviews
- Prepare for and plan an interview to meet specific situations/objectives as required
- Conduct interviews effectively, lawfully and ethically
- Record relevant information and outcomes
- Provide feedback appropriately during and following an interview to interviewee and other authorised people
This course is part of the CPD Management Series and other workshops include:
Completion of four of the workshops in this series and a Work-Based Learning Report leads to a Middlesex University Certificate in Personal and Professional Development NQF Level 4.
For further information, please email our Business Development team or call 020 8411 5050.