Gain essential technical skills while we prepare you for a stimulating career in the fashion industry, whether you want to be a designer, maker, stylist, technician, journalist or PR consultant. As well as technique, we will equip you with the confidence and independence you need to engage with the fashion world and move forward in your chosen aspect of the industry.
Why study the BA Fashion with Foundation Year at Middlesex University?
This four-year programme is specially designed for ambitious, dedicated students wanting to begin their university studies with a strong understanding of the London and UK fashion environment, as well as gaining a broad range of skills that will give them the preparation and advantage they need to create their identity as a designer.
You will be introduced to a variety of materials and processes, encouraging you to be ambitious and imaginative in your designs. You will also form your critical appreciation of fashion as you're introduced to academic practice and academic study in a fashion context.
Our course will help you to gain essential fashion skills, develop your visual thinking, focus your design approach and learn how to work in a creative studio as an independent thinker and maker.
Success in your Foundation year will allow you to progress to your second year of Fashion at Middlesex, with the option of moving into a specialist pathway where you can develop your talents. The courses we have available are:
As you progress through the programme, the curriculum constructs a pattern of study that covers contextual learning and critical thinking in design, technical processes, advanced skills, creative practice, professional preparation and fashion cultures.
- In London, you will have direct access to the fashion industry through projects, talks from leading experts, live industry-sponsored projects and a six-week work placement with your choice of fashion practitioner as they work towards London Fashion Week
- You will be taught by an invested and supportive team of tutors and technicians who all work in the industry
- At the end of your degree you will exhibit your work at the Middlesex University Art and Design Degree Show and at Graduate Fashion Week
- The studio workshops in our state-of-the-art £80 million centre, The Grove, mean almost everything can be done in-house and you have access to a wide range of art and design facilities to help realise your ideas
- Our extensive library resources support your research with books, collections of film, databases, the most up-to-date and archived journals and magazines, and a collection of 3D pieces including historical dress and accessories
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.