This multi-disciplinary, industry-relevant degree gives you the opportunity to work with a wide range of media and visual communication methods central to the fashion industry including styling, photography, graphic communication, film and show production.
Why study BA Fashion Communication and Styling at Middlesex University?
The continued development of new media platforms has led to an increase in opportunities for disseminating fashion trends and advertising fashion product which has resulted in a greater demand for fashion image-makers and innovators in communication design
Our diverse degree takes an innovative approach to the production of contemporary fashion media. We have a reputation for producing a broad range of high quality creative work using traditional and digital media, exploring emerging technologies and new promotional platforms. Our graduates go on to work in areas including styling, photography, graphic design, art direction and curation.
In the second year of study you will choose to follow one of three specialist pathways in Art Direction, Styling or Photography and Film. You will gain a variety of key practical skills in print, photography, digital design, and film and develop your own personal aesthetic and are encouraged to consider the commercial viability of your ideas in relation to current trends.
This studio-based and interdisciplinary degree allows the exploration of alternative approaches to the communication of fashion exploration of a range of media whilst encouraging you to consider your own personal style and direction. We encourage creativity, problem solving and independent thinking at every stage of the course. You will learn not only the knowledge and practical skills essential for a successful career in fashion media but also develop a range of abilities that will enhance your employability in other industries.
- Close to central London, we are well positioned to give you direct access to the fashion industry through live industry-sponsored projects, talks from leading industry experts and a six-week industry work placement with your choice of fashion practitioner as they work towards London Fashion Week
- You will make full use of our extensive workshops, including state-of-the-art photography and reprographics facilities to help you realise your ideas
- You will learn from experienced tutors - our staff are active practitioners in the fashion industry, working in fashion design (for example, Martine Rose), filmmaking, art direction, photography and for both print and online publications
- At the end of your degree you will exhibit your work at the FCSMDX graduate show and the Middlesex University Degree Show
- Our varied and extensive library resources support your research not just with books, but also wonderful collections of film, databases, the most up to date and archived journals and magazines and a museum collection of 3D pieces including historical dress and accessories
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.