Private rented accommodation

Accommodation away from halls of residence often appeals to older students, but most of our students live in private rented accommodation at some point during their time with us.

If you choose this option, it is essential that you begin your search as early as possible, as there is high demand for accommodation towards the beginning of term.

Finding a room

The Middlesexstudentpad website is a good place to start your search. It features up-to-date details of rented accommodation, including landlords' contact details, and details of rent and other relevant information. It is updated all year round, so look here even if term has started.

The site also includes a message board facility, allowing you to see notices posted by other students about housing.

We suggest you confirm all the details shown on the website with the owner of any accommodation before accepting a room.

We also have a Facebook page, where students post information about available rooms.

Download our house-hunting guide (PDF) for some useful tips on renting in the private sector.

Types of private rented accommodation

There are plenty of places available to rent near campus and many different options to choose from:

Rooms in flats or houses

Life in a student house-share can be an unforgettable experience for a number of reasons – not least making friends for life.

Many of our mature students choose this option because it can suit people who prefer a quiet life – you just need to find some like-minded people to share your space.

You will typically have to sign a contract for a minimum of six months before moving into a property, and will usually have to pay a refundable cash deposit.


This usually refers to renting a room in a house with a live-in landlord. Use of shared areas, for example kitchens, lounges, toilets, or outside spaces, will be by informal agreement. You will usually have to pay a deposit to ensure you adhere to the terms of your tenancy agreement. In most cases, no formal rental contract is required.

Short stay accommodation

If you need short-stay accommodation there are hotels, guest houses and bed and breakfast accommodation for a range of budgets across north London. Download our short stay accommodation list (PDF)

Single students and families

Most student accommodation is for single people or groups of friends (single rooms in shared accommodation).

If you have a family, you may want to look in newspapers and use local letting agents to help you in your search for suitable rented accommodation. You can find a list of local letting agents on Middlesexstudentpad. You may also wish to contact Nansen Village, a housing association that provides accommodation for overseas postgraduate students and their families.

Rents, expenses and insurance

Average weekly rents vary between £85 and £115 – depending on the area, the facilities available and the general standard of accommodation. Unless you’re living in lodgings, bills for gas, electricity and water are unlikely to be included so you will be expected to pay these separately. As a full-time student you may not have to pay council tax. Insurance to cover your personal possessions is advisable wherever you are living.

Contact us

For more information or advice, contact the Private Rented Accommodation Office:

Email: [email protected]
Phone: +44 (0)20 8411 5068
Write to:
Private Rented Accommodation Office
Middlesex University
The Burroughs
London, NW4 4BT

If you are a local landlord, estate or letting agent and would like to offer quality accommodation to our students, find out more about working with us on the For landlords page.  

Bookmark and Share