The Special Collections are held in the Materials Room in the basement of the Sheppard Library. This is a supervised room for research and inspiration, open Monday to Friday 11am – 4pm.
Collections held in the room:
- Fashion Collection: garments and accessories from the Victorian era to the present day
- Samples Collection: a broad selection of manufacturers' product samples that can be borrowed by students
- Comics Collection: cult, political, Japanese, American and childrens comics
- Ephemera Collection: the Middlesex Ephemeral Collection holds Art & Design student show publicity and the general paper Ephemera Collection holds miscellaneous items such as flyers and greetings cards
- Special Books Collection: a small library of rare and fragile items that includes artists' books and the fashion publication Visionaire
The Hornsey College of Art Archive and the John Lansdown Archive are held in the Materials room and may be viewed by appointment.