At Middlesex University, we have well–established links with a wide range of both public and private sector employers. In addition, each School or department may have their own links and the Employability Centre on campus provides a team of dedicated Business Consultants who have a detailed understanding of the specific market sector and liaise extensively with academic colleagues to embed employability information in programme design and delivery.
Finding the right work experience opportunity can be challenging and the field is competitive. Last year the Employability Services team assisted with placing over 300 students in a wide range of UK industries, firms, government departments and helped nearly 50 students secure funding for a work placement abroad through the University's Erasmus + scheme.
Employers prefer graduates with work experience. There are many benefits to undertaking a placement or internship whilst at university:
- Gain knowledge: Your academic studies can be enriched by the new perspectives, experience and commercial awareness that you gain while you are working in an industry environment
- Develop key skills: A work placement provides the opportunity for you to develop key employability skills such as problem-solving, teamwork, communication and time management that graduate recruiters look for.
- Explore different career options: A work placement will let you 'try before you buy' and often give you a taste of several different roles available within a company to give you new ideas about career options.
- Secure a graduate job: A work placement will give you a competitive edge when it comes to applying for graduate jobs. Employers prefer graduates who have experience and it isn't unheard of for an employer to offer a graduate role to students who have already completed a placement or internship with them.
- Go global: As a student at Middlesex, you can undertake work experience anywhere in the UK – or even abroad through the Erasmus + exchange programme. Experiencing another culture broadens your horizons and helps you gain a greater understanding of diversity.
- Get paid while you study: Many placements can be well paid, an excellent way to fund the cost of your studies
Work placement options at Middlesex:
- A four-year sandwich degree in some programmes of study, which includes a credit-bearing placement of up to 12 months. Check individual course pages for more information. If you joined the University from October 2012 onwards you will not pay tuition fees during a year-long work placement.
- Internships are placements of less than a year. Special placement modules on courses will allow you to do a credit-bearing internship. Check with your department for more information.
- Accredited and/or compulsory work placements for part of a number of postgraduate courses. Check with your department on options available.
- Work experience, internships and professional development qualifications are available through MDX Sport & Recreation
- Part of the School of Science and Technology, redloop is our unique centre for design and innovation collaboration that offers work experience and placements, enabling you to develop projects for commercial clients.