Konstantinos Andriotis is a Professor in Tourism at Middlesex University London and in the past he was Associate Professor and Head of the Hotel and Tourism Management Department at the Cyprus University of Technology. He holds an MSc in International Hospitality Management (University of Strathclyde, 1995), a PhD in Tourism Development and Planning (Bournemouth University, 2000) and a Post Doc in Tourism Marketing (Hellenic Open University, 2006). He edits the ‘International Journal of Tourism Policy’, the ‘Journal of Qualitative Research in Tourism’ and the CABI Regional Tourism Book Series. He is member of the Editorial Board of more than 20 journals. He is author of seven books and over 50 peer reviewed articles and book chapters. His work has appeared in leading academic journals, including Annals of Tourism Research, Journal of Travel Research, Tourism Management, Hospitality Management and Journal of Sustainable Tourism. He has an h-index of 33 and more than 4700 citations. He was listed in the Stanford University list of top 2 per cent of scientists in the World. He has acted as Chairman and member of the Organising and Scientific Committees of various international conferences and he has given keynote speeches in several conferences. His research interests include tourism development and planning, alternative forms of tourism, tourism experience and degrowth.
Tourism Development and Planning, Degrowth
- Tourism experience.
- Tourism development and planning.
- Alternative forms of tourism.
- Sustainability and degrowth.
- Community attitudes to tourism.
Andriotis, Konstantinos and Usun, Çetin Furkan and Dinç, Yücel (2023) Determining the model of tourism business district (TBD) in coastal resorts: a case study of Turkey. Geographical Review . ISSN 0016-7428 (Published online first)
Andriotis, Konstantinos (2022) Typology of art produced by travelling artists: art-led regeneration of a historic urban environment. Tourism Culture & Communication , 22 (4). pp. 305-319. ISSN 1098-304X
Andriotis, Konstantinos and Paraskevaidis, Pavlos (2022) Artist residencies as specialist accommodation: Cultural entrepreneurship during the COVID-19 pandemic. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management . ISSN 0959-6119 (Published online first)
Paraskevaidis, Pavlos and Andriotis, Konstantinos (2021) Medical volunteers as accidental tourists: Humanitarianism and the European refugee crisis. Tourism Recreation Research . ISSN 0250-8281 (Published online first)
Andriotis, Konstantinos (2021) Traveling artists’ roles: an asynchronous email interview. Tourism Analysis , 26 (4). pp. 307-318. ISSN 1083-5423
1. Editor in Chief of the "Journal of Qualitative Research in Tourism (QRT)", (Elgar publising) from January 2020.
2. Book Series Editor Regional Tourism Series, CAB International, from January 2019.
3. Editor in Chief of the International "International Journal of Tourism Policy (IJTP)", from June 2006.
4. Resource Editor (co-ordinating editor) of the Journal Annals of Tourism Research, from January 2013 up to December 2020.
5. Member of the Editorial Board of the: "International Journal of Social Sciences (IJoSS)", from August 2013.
6. Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal: Tourism and Hospitality Management, from October 2012.
7. Member of the Editorial Board: International Journal of Tourism Sciences (IJTS), from February 2011.
8. Member of the Editorial Board: International Journal of Heritage and Sustainable Development (IJHSD), from April 2010.
9. Member of the Editorial Board: Island Dynamics: Occasional Papers, from November 2009.
10. Member of the Editorial Board: International Journal of Leisure and Tourism Marketing (IJLTM), from February 2009.
11. Member of the Editorial Board: International Scientific Journal - TURIZAM, from February 2009.
12. Member of the Editorial Board: International Journal of Tourism Anthropology, from December 2008.
13. Member of the Editorial Board: Caribbean Journal of Business, Hospitality and Tourism Management, from November 2008.
14. Member of the Editorial Board: International Journal of Cultural Management, from October 2008.
15. Member of the Editorial Board: Revista de Turism Journal (Journal of Tourism), from September 2008.
16. Member of the Editorial Board: International Scientific Journal Geographica Pannonica, from June 2008.
17. Member of the Editorial Advisory Board: The Open Area Studies Journal, from April 2008.
18. Member of the Editorial Advisory Board: The Open Sociology Journal, from December 2007.
19. Member of the Editorial Advisory Board: The Open Management Journal, from October 2007.
20. Member of the Editorial Advisory Board: Tourismos - An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism, from May 2006.
21. Guest Editor, Double Special Issue on Alternative and Special Interest Tourism along with Wickens, E., International Journal of Tourism Policy, 2(1/2).
1. Listed in the Stanford University list of top 2 per cent of scientists in the World, 2020 and 2021.
2. Member of the Senate and various Senate Committees at Cyprus University of Technology, Cyprus, between 2010-2013.
4. Head of the Hospitality and Tourism Management Department at Cyprus University of Technology, Cyprus between 2010-2013.
3. Advisory Board Member of the Center for Sustainable Management of Tourism, Sport & Events (CESMATSE), European University of Cyprus.
4. According to a study by Park, K., Phillips, W.J. Canter, D.D. and Abbott, J., published in the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research (2011), under the title: "Hospitality and Tourism Research Rankings by Author, University, and Country Using Six Major Journals: The First Decade of the New Millennium" I have been ranked 23rd among the most prolific authors in tourism research and 49th among the most prolific authors in both hospitality and tourism research.
5. My paper entitled: Integrated Resort Development - The Case of Cavo Sidero, Crete. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 2008, 16(4): 428-444, has been recommended for further reading by Timothy, D.J. and Teye, V.B. (2009). Tourism and the Lodging Sector. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann.
6. Media spokesperson for Nottingham Business School, Nottingham Trent University from June 2008 up to August 2009.
7. My paper entitled: "Sacred Site Experience - A Phenomenological Study", published in "Annals of Tourism Research", was between January and March 2009, 10th among the 25 most frequently downloaded articles of the journal and 21st between April and June 2009. The same paper is 19th among the most cited Annals of Tourism Research articles published since 2008 (extracted from SciVerse Scopus).
8. My paper entitled: "Guests and Politics - Coastal Resorts Morphological Change", published in "Annals of Tourism Research" was between December and February 2007 16th among the 25 most frequently downloaded articles of the journal.
9. My paper entitled: Community Groups' Perceptions of and Preferences for Tourism Development: Evidence from Crete, "Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research" was during March 2006 among the 50 most frequently read articles.
10. Congratulation letter by the editor of the Tourism Management Journal (Dr. Chris Ryan) for the quality of my paper, entitled: "Scale of Hospitality Firms and Local Economic Development. The Case of Crete". As the letter commented: "This is a well written paper with a good literature review and an intelligent use of statistical methods given the size of the sample".
11. Positive criticism from the reviewers of the "Journal of Travel Research" for my paper entitled "Urban Residents' Attitudes towards Tourism Development: The Case of Crete (Ref. N. #2948)". As the first reviewer reported: "It is one of the most well written, well organised, and well presented articles I have had the opportunity to review" and the second "I very much liked the way the author(s) constructed this paper. It has all the elements of a well done research peace".
12. My paper at "Annals of Tourism Research, entitled: "Host, Guests and Politics - Coastal Resorts Morphological Change", is being recommended for reading by Heather Gibson (Department of Tourism, Recreation and Sport Management, University of Florida) of the module LEI 6895 Tourism Theories and Concepts.
13. My paper published at the "Journal of Sustainable Tourism" entitled "Tourism Planning and Development in Crete. Recent Tourism Policies and their Efficacy" has been used by the University of Wolverhampton as a case study in an exam paper.
14. Congratulations received by the Survey Research Committee of Bournemouth University on a research report document submitted for transfer from MPhil to PhD. As Professor Vincent May (Chairman of the Research Degrees Committee) stated, "The Committee agreed that the transfer document was well written with clear aims and objectives and wished to convey its congratulations to Mr Andriotis for the way in which the report had been compiled and presented. The report is a good example of the best practice, in preparation of transfer documents, which has developed across the University".
15. Granted award for Post-Doctoral Research, Greek Foundation of State Scholarships (IKY).
16. Three and a half years Scholarship by the Greek Foundation of State Scholarships (IKY) for attending MSc and Ph.D. courses, after exams.
17. Financial Scholarship by the Greek Foundation of State Scholarships (IKY) for my Performance at Technological Education Institute of Crete.
18. Exchange Student to London, COMMETT, Oct 1992 - Apr 1993.