Nancy Slonims, an MA graduate from the Royal College of Art, worked at Pentagram and John Brimacombe and Associates as a senior graphic designer before becoming a freelance illustrator represented by the illustration agency Beint & Beint.
Working principally in collage and photomontage, illustrations have been produced for a number of publishers, notably Picador’s ‘The Four Great Novels’ by Dashiell Hammett; ‘The Chandler Collection’ by Raymond Chandler and ‘From Bauhaus To Our House’ by Tom Wolfe for Cardinal, Pan Books. Design groups The Partners, McColls Agency, Yellowhammer and Lewis Moberly Design have commissioned work, and illustrations have also been produced for a range of clients: Virgin Atlantic, Nabisco, Lee Cooper Jeans, Barclays Bank, British Telecom, British Gas, Granada Television, BBC Panorama, and the British Airways Authority.
Having taught Graphics and Illustration at Chelsea, Harrow, and Croydon, Nancy is now the Programme Leader of the BA Hons Illustration course at Middlesex University.
Since Nancy Slonims became programme leader of BA Hons Illustration
* Progression, retention and recruitment figures have improved, achieving the highest NSS results in A & D for the last 4 years.
* Illustration has hosted a conference for the Association of Illustrators
* Illustration has exhibited in London every year and had a number of fund raising auctions
* Introduced events week varying teaching methods in order to broaden student’s cultural knowledge. Recent events: Film festivals, guest speakers, specialist master classes, Location and Exotic Animal drawing, Thinking Day, Dracula’s Guest, a collaborative graphic novel.
* Initiated the De Gratia Award recognising outstanding student contributions.
* Currently mentors 2 GTA’s
Became Artist in Residence coordinator in 2009, liaising with programme leaders in Art and Design and Media, technical staff and managers. Currently mentoring 9 artists from a variety of professions. Making sure they are welcomed and feel a valued part of the team.
To ensure this;
* Have established a database
* Had regular meetings to maintain the relationship between AiR’s, technical and academic staff
* Had two group shows, in Brick Lane & the Grove, Hendon
* Had an illustrated open day attended by staff and students. April 2010 created an incubator group of graduates called Lot#9 and ran workshops for the public and students. Lot#9 represented Middlesex at recruitment fairs and functions. Established a studio, enabling graduates to work as a skilled team offering specialist skills. The intention was to run workshops and consultancies in areas such as, animation, all print processes and bookbinding. The web workshop was particularly successful and well attended by staff, students and the public. Due to space limitations the scheme no longer runs, however, a Lot#9 student has collaborated on 2 publications, The Cat Hill Commemorative book and Dr Maggie Butt’s Sancti Clandestini.
As well as using established printers; have produced books in house using existing facilities and have written 2 illustrated books to be published by Illustration’s ‘Pearls of Wisdom’ press
2012-13, involved in 7 exhibitions, designed a poetry book by Dr Maggie Butt and collaborated with Bishop Stortford Museum; Illustration students will work on archives of 1st world war police records creating graphic novels and other material to be exhibited in 2014.
May 2012 Exhibited work in “Happy Birthday Edward Lear” funded by the Poetry Society with over 40 illustrators. The show also went to Southampton Solent University, who bought up 50% of the show for their permanent collection.
October 2012 Organised exhibition of current AiR’s work in Hendon.
November 2012 Contributed an image and designed an illustrated book of Poetry by Dr Maggie Butt, published Autumn 2012 by Ward Wood Publishers; organised exhibition and book launch at the Poetry Café, Covent Garden.
December 2012 Contributed work to an ex graduate show, Old Street
February 2013 Organised a student show at the Invisible Line Gallery, Dalton.
Feb/March 2013 Organised the Images 36 exhibition: Best of British Illustration, Hendon.
Summer 2013: Joint exhibition of work with colleagues, Coningsby Gallery, London.
Winsor & Newton
Council for National Parks
Pan Books – Picador
I C A
David Pocknell Design Group
O R T International
J M Dent (Pub)
Waterstones & Co (Pub)
A La Carte Magazine
Bartrum Roth & Co Accountants
Pandora Press (Pub)
Newell & Sorrell Design Group
Airport Magazine – Redwood Publishing
A I D – Bank of Scotland
Rueters ( Robert Maude Design)
Crescent Lodge Design
Yellowhammer – Barclays Bank /Modo Paper
D I A - British Airways
Banks & Miles Design
Lewis Moberly Design
Lee Cooper Jeans (Crescent Lodge)
Young & Rubican (Air Canada)
Trickett & Webb Calender
Graphics World Magazine
B G A (Nationwide – Anglia)
Lloyd Northover – Barclays Bank
BBC Panorama Programme
Gouda Insurance Co N V Holland
McColls Agency – Nabisco Brochure
Sphere Books – Tom Woolf Bookjackets
New Woman Magazine
Granada Television Calendar
Kidsons Recruitment Brochure Dept of Trade & Industry
Chase Manhatten Bank
B A A Brochure
Hodder & Stoughton
F C B
British Gas Brochure (M J L Design)
Ernst & Young – Accountants
W H Smith (Kane & Co)
Business Satellite Television
British Telecom Central Office of Information (Police Brochure)
The Actuary Magazine