English (Native), Swedish (Basic)
Faculty and Science and Technology Learning and Quality Lead
1) Leading the Science and Technology Learning and Teaching Research Group. It will provide an opportunity for practitioners and researchers to discuss learning and teaching projects with colleagues and will provide mentoring and support for publication. The group will work together to identify and share funding calls, and will provide opportunities for collaboration and cross fertilisation of ideas driving innovative learning and teaching practice.
1) Biomarkers and mechanisms of platinum and taxane drug resistance in ovarian cancer. We are validating a panel of novel gene expression biomarkers in ovarian cancer cell lines and clinical samples.
2) Development of platinum and parp inhibitor-resistant ovarian cancer and analysis of BRCA1 gene methylation. We are developing resistant cell models in BRCA1 methylated and mutated ovarian cell lines and are collecting clinical samples to examine the role of BRCA1 methylation in ovarian cancer.
3) Lifestyle-related risk factors of breast cancer. We are conducting research into how providing women with information on breast cancer risk alters their behaviour.
4) Public awareness of the symptoms and risk factors of ovarian and cervical cancer. We are also looking at the awareness of cervical cancer in the LGBTQ+ population.
Radu, Cristina‐Alexandra and Matos de Melo Fernandes, Nadia and Khalfe, Sumaira and Stordal, Britta K. (2023) Awareness of ovarian cancer symptoms and risk factors in a young ethnically diverse British population. Cancer Medicine , 12 (8). pp. 9879-9892. ISSN 2045-7634
Stordal, Britta K. (2023) Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer: a call for action in high-income countries with low rates of breastfeeding. Cancer Medicine , 12 (4). pp. 4616-4625. ISSN 2045-7634
Low, Kaan and Hills, Frank and Roberts, Helen C. and Stordal, Britta K. (2023) Establishment and characterization of single and triple‐agent resistant osteosarcoma cell lines. Advanced Biology , 7 (2).
Rae, Sophie and Spillane, Cathy and Blackshields, Gordon and Madden, Stephen F. and Keenan, Joanne and Stordal, Britta K. (2022) The EMT-activator ZEB1 is unrelated to platinum drug resistance in ovarian cancer but is predictive of survival. Human Cell , 35 (5). pp. 1547-1559. ISSN 0914-7470
Patel, Aashna and Kalachand, Roshni and Busschots, Steven and Doherty, Ben and Kapros, Evangelos and Lawlor, Denise and Hall, Neville and Stordal, Britta K. (2022) Taxane monotherapy regimens for the treatment of recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (7). ISSN 1465-1858
Breast Cancer UK - Commissioned Research - The Role of Breastfeeding and Early Pregnancy in Protection against Breast Cancer (Principal Investigator 2022)
Bone Cancer Research Trust: ‘MicroRNA regulation of autophagy-induced chemoresistance in osteosarcoma’ (‘Strictly Research’ Award Winner; Co-Investigator; 2017).
Vice Chair and Head of Science Committee - Breast Cancer UK (2021 - present)
Lay Member - Clinical Oncology Academic Committee - Royal College of Radiologists (2022 - present)
Member - Technology Apprasial Commitee - National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (2022 - present)
Co-Opted Member - Ovarian Cancer: Identifying and managing familial and genetic risk - National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (2022 - present)
Specialist Committee Member - Tumour profiling tests to guide adjuvant chemotherapy decisions in early breast cancer - National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (2016 - 2018)