1) Biomarkers of platinum drug resistance in ovarian cancer. We are validating a panel of novel gene expression biomarkers in ovarian cancer cell lines and clinical samples.
2) Development of platinum and taxane-resistant ovarian cancer cell lines and miRNA biomarker discovery. We have developed novel drug-resistant cell models and are profiling the mechanisms of resistance and alterations in miRNA.
3) Development of platinum and parp inhibitor-resistant ovarian cancer and analysis of BRCA1 gene methylation. We are developing resistant cell models in BRCA1 methylated and mutated ovarian cell lines and are collecting clinical samples to examine the role of BRCA1 methylation in ovarian cancer.
4) Evidence-based medicine for relapsed platinum pre-treated ovarian cancer. I am conducting a Cochrane review on taxanes for the treatment of platinum pre-treated ovarian cancer.
1) Lawlor, D., Martin, P., Busschots, S., Thery, J., O'Leary, J.J., Hennessy, B.T and Stordal, B. (2014). Parp inhibitors as P-glycoprotein substrates. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 103(6):1913-1920. Available from Pubmed ID 24700236
2) McDermott, M., Eustace, A., Busschots, S., Breen, L., Clynes, M., O'Donovan, N. and Stordal, B. (2014). In vitro development of chemotherapy and targeted therapy drug-resistant cancer cell lines: A practical guide with case studies. Frontiers in Oncology: Pharmacology of Anti-Cancer Drugs. Mar 6;4:40. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2014.00040 Available from Pubmed ID 24639951.
3) Doherty, B., Lawlor, D., Gillet, J.P., Gottesman, M., O'Leary, J.J., and Stordal, B. (2014). Collateral sensitivity to cisplatin in KB-8-5-11 drug resistant cancer cells. Anticancer Research 34(1):503-7 Available from Pubmed ID 24403508
4) D'Adhemar, C., Spillane, C., Gallagher, M., Bates, M., Costello, K., Barry-O'Crowley, J., Haley, K., Kernan, N., Murphy, C., Smyth, P., O'Byrne, K., Pennington, S., Cooke, A., Ffrench, B., Martin, C., O'Donnell, D., Hennessy, B.T., Stordal, B., Finn, S., McCann, A., Gleeson, N., D'Arcy, T., Flood, B., O'Neill, L., Sheils, O., O'Toole, S. and O'Leary, J.J. (2014). The MyD88+ phenotype is an adverse prognostic factor in epithelial ovarian cancer. PLoS ONE Jun 30;9(6):e100816. Available from Pubmed ID 24977712
5) Stordal, B., Timms, K., Farrelly, A., Renaud, M., Thery, J., Busschots, S., Williams, D., Potter, J., Tran, T., Korpanty, G., Cremona, M., Carey, M., Li, J., Li, Y., Aslan, O., O'Leary, J.J., Mills, G.B. and Hennessy, B.T. (2013). BRCA1/2 mutation analysis in 41 ovarian cell lines reveals only one functionally deleterious BRCA1 mutation. Molecular Oncology 2013 Jun;7(3):567-79 Available from Pubmed ID 23415752
6) Stordal, B., Hamon, M., McEneaney, V., Roche, S., Gillet, J.P., O'Leary, J.J, Gottesman, M. and Clynes, M. Resistance to paclitaxel in a cisplatin-resistant ovarian cancer cell line is mediated by P-glycoprotein. (2012). PLoS ONE 7(7): e40717. Available from Pubmed ID 22792399
7) Murphy, M. and Stordal, B. (2011). Erlotinib or gefitinib for the treatment of relapsed platinum pretreated non-small cell lung cancer and ovarian cancer: A systematic review. Drug Resistance Updates. June 14(3):177-90 Available from Pubmed ID 21435938
8) Egan K., Crowley D., Smyth P., O'Toole S., Spillane C., Martin C., Gallagher M., Canney A., Norris L., Conlon N., McEvoy L., Ffrench B., Stordal B., Keegan H., Finn S., McEneaney V., Laios A., Ducrée J., Dunne E., Smith L., Berndt M., Sheils O., Kenny D., O'Leary J. (2011). Platelet adhesion and degranulation induce pro-survival and pro-angiogenic signalling in ovarian cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 6(10):e26125 Available from Pubmed ID 22022533
9) Stordal, B. and O'Mathúna D. (2010). Taxane monotherapy for the treatment of platinum pre-treated epithelial ovarian cancer (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews Issue 10. Available from Wiley Publishers
10) Stordal, B. and Davey R. (2009). A systematic review of genes involved in the inverse resistance relationship between cisplatin and paclitaxel chemotherapy: Role of BRCA1. Current Cancer Drug Targets 9(3):354-365 Available from Pubmed ID 19442054
11) Stordal, B. and Davey R. (2009). ERCC1 expression and RAD51B activity correlate with cell cycle response to platinum drug treatment not DNA repair. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology. 63(4):661-672 Available from Pubmed ID 18575867
12) Stordal, B. and Davey R. (2008). A 39kDa fragment of endogenous ASK1 suggests specific cleavage not degradation by the proteasome. IUBMB Life 60(3):180-184 Available from Pubmed ID 18380010
13) Stordal, B., Pavlakis, N. and Davey, R. (2007). A systematic review of platinum and taxane resistance from bench to clinic: An inverse relationship. Cancer Treatment Reviews. 33:688-703 Available from Pubmed ID 17881133
14) Stordal, B. and Davey, M. (2007). Understanding cisplatin resistance using cellular models. IUBMB Life. 59(11) 696-699 Available from Pubmed ID 17885832
15) Stordal, B., Pavlakis, N. and Davey, R. (2007). Oxaliplatin for the treatment of cisplatin-resistant cancer: A systematic review. Cancer Treatment Reviews. 33(4)347-357. Available from Pubmed ID 17383100
16) Stordal, B., Peters, G. and Davey, R. (2006). Similar chromosomal changes in cisplatin-resistant and oxaliplatin-resistant sublines of the H69 SCLC cell line are not associated with platinum resistance. Genes, Chromosomes and Cancer. 45(12):1094-1105. Available from Pubmed ID 16967470
17) Stordal, B., Davey, M. and Davey, R. (2006). Oxaliplatin induces drug resistance more rapidly than cisplatin in H69 small cell lung cancer cells. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology. 58(2):256-265. Available from Pubmed ID 16283310