Section navigation

Documents needed for Tier 4 visa application

In order to apply for a Tier 4 visa you will need the documents listed below.

  • What documents do I need to apply for a Tier 4 visa?

    • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

      Your University will send this to you by email when you have met all of the academic and financial conditions of your offer.

      You must state your CAS Reference Number on your Tier 4 visa application.

      Please be aware that a CAS is specific to your unconditional offer. If you defer your studies to the next intake, or choose a different institution, you will need a new CAS.

    • Bank statement(s), loan letter or sponsorship letter that show you have sufficient money to meet the financial requirements

      You must provide a bank statement(s), loan letter or sponsorship letter to show that you have sufficient funds to pay for your studies. This includes outstanding tuition fees for your course, as well as living costs. Living costs for study at Middlesex University are £1,265 per month for the duration of the course, up to a maximum of £11,385*.

      Bank statements must clearly show that the money has been in your account for 28 consecutive days. The bank statement cannot be more than one month old when you apply for your visa.

      The bank statement must be in your name or the names of either of your parents. You cannot use a company account or a bank account which is held in someone else's name.

      If your bank is in Bangladesh, Cameroon, Ghana, India, Iran, Pakistan, Philippines or Sri Lanka you must ensure that your bank appears on the accepted list of financial institutions.

      Loan letters must have been issued as part of an official state or national government educational loan scheme. Sponsorship letters must have been issued by a government or government agency, university or multinational company.

      All financial documents must be in English or accompanied by a translated version which has been stamped and signed by a professional translator.

      If you are applying for your visa from within the UK, you may be able to show reduced living costs. Please see the UKCISA website for more information

      More information on the financial requirements for your visa can be found in the Tier 4 policy guidance.

      *These figures are accurate as of March 2018. These figures are subject to change and you must make sure than you meet the requirements in place at the time you submit your visa application.

    • Original copies of your qualifications

      Your CAS will list the qualifications which you must submit with your visa application. You must supply the original copies. Photocopies will not be accepted.

    • Evidence of your English Language Level

      The Home Office requires all students to have a minimum standard of English before they can study in the UK. The standard of English required depends on the level of the course you have applied for.

      Your CAS will state how your English has been assessed. This might be by reference to a qualification you have achieved or a IELTS certificate. You must ensure that you supply copies of any qualifications referenced on the CAS letter when you apply for your visa.

      If you are from a country which is recognised as majority English speaking, or you have completed a degree course which was taught and assessed in English in one of these countries and this is recorded on your CAS, you will not need to provide evidence of any additional English Language qualifications.

      Majority English-speaking countries are defined as: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and the USA.

    • Tuberculosis (TB) screening certificate (if applicable)

      If you are coming to the UK for more than six months and apply for your visa from a country which has a high risk of tuberculosis, you must be tested and obtain a certificate to confirm that you do not have this illness.

      You must obtain this certificate from a recognised screening clinic before you make your visa application. There is a small charge, which is payable locally.

      Counties which are considered to have a high risk of tuberculosis, plus a list of recognised screening clinics, are available online.

    • Police Registration Certificate (if applicable - for applications from within the UK only)

      You may be required to register with the police when you arrive in the UK. This depends on your nationality and it will be clearly marked on your visa. Further information is available online.

      When you register with the police, you are given a Police Registration Certificate. If you submit a visa application from within the UK, you must supply this certificate with your documents. You do not have to supply a Police Registration Certificate if you apply for your visa from outside the UK.

    • A valid passport

      You will need a valid passport in order to apply for a Tier 4 visa.

In this section

Back to top

We use Cookies

View our Privacy and Cookie policy