Section navigation

Undergraduate funding

We want to ensure that you have the most up to date information about fees and funding to allow you to make an informed decision. Below are the most frequently asked questions we receive which we hope will help you during the application process.

If your question is not there or you're looking for more information, Student Finance England have many guides, factsheets and films available which include:

  • how and when you can apply and repay
  • who is eligible for student finance
  • what evidence they need to process an application
  • what extra help is available
  • Frequently asked questions

    • How does the UK’s decision to leave the EU affect my fees and funding?

      EU students enrolling on courses in September 2017, January 2018 and September 2018 will pay the same fees as before for the entire duration of their course. They will also be able to apply, if eligible, for the same student loans for the duration of their course.

    • How much will my degree cost?

      For UK and EU students, the fee for our undergraduate courses are currently set at £9,250 per year. Most undergraduate courses normally last for three years, so the total costs for your studies in this instance would be £27,750. For international students, the fee for each academic year is currently £11,500.

      The University reserves the right to increase tuition fees for full-time UK and EU students up to £9,250 per year from September 2017, subject to confirmation. This is due to new governmental regulation by which universities with satisfactory quality assessments under the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) will be able to raise their fees by 2.8% in line with inflation.

      Please note that this change may also affect the equivalent part-time fees as well as NHS students' fees and bursaries (see further information on fees for nursing and midwifery degrees below), subject to confirmation.

    • What financial support is available to help cover the costs of studying?

      All UK and EU students will be entitled to a student loan to cover the cost of tuition fees whilst you study. This means that you will not have to pay fees out of your own pocket up-front, and can instead repay the cost of your degree once you have graduated and are earning a salary above £21,000. You can find out more information about student loans, including interest rates, the repayment scheme and how to apply, by visiting The Student Finance website. The Money Saving Expert website also has a useful calculator tool to help you identify what your student loan repayments might look like.

      In addition, UK students can also apply for a maintenance loan to help towards the cost of living expenses. This loan is means tested against your household income and must be paid back once you have graduated and are earning a salary. The maximum loan amount for a student living away from home in London is £10,702. The Student Finance website has more details on the loan, and also provides a handy calculator to help you work out how much you might be entitled to.

      For students who are experiencing financial hardship, the University can provide support through the government's Access to Learning Fund.  These resources are provided to assist students who may not have the necessary funding to support themselves or are experiencing financial difficulties due to unforeseen circumstances. You can find out more from our Student Welfare Advice Team.

      Many banks also offer career and professional development loans, that can be used towards the cost of work-related learning. You can often borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning, or three years if the period of learning includes one year's relevant unpaid work. Click here to find out more about career development loans.

      In addition to loans, university scholarships can be a great way to support you with the cost of your studies. Unlike loans, scholarships and bursaries are non-repayable. Click here to find more information about the scholarships and bursaries that are available to Middlesex students.

      Another way to support the costs of studying is through part-time work. Often even students on full-time courses can still make time for some paid employment. At Middlesex, there is the opportunity to work part-time for the University in a variety of student jobs. Further information on student finance, tools and guidance can also be found by visiting the Student Loans Company or the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.

    • I’m applying for part time study; can I also get financial support?

      Part-time students can apply for student loans to cover tuition fees via the Student Finance website. Maintenance loans are not currently available for part-time study.

    • How are part time fees calculated?

      The tuition fee for all programmes is currently set at £77 per credit so that students can, where the programme allows, study on a part-time basis. A full undergraduate programme is 360 credits, of which different modules carry different credit weightings. Full details about module weighting can be found on each individual course page.

    • How soon should I apply for my student loan?

      If you are thinking of applying for an undergraduate course at Middlesex, you should consider applying for your student loan as soon as possible. You do not need to have a confirmed university place to apply for student finance. Your first choice of course can be updated at a later point. Applications for student finance support, including both the student loan and the maintenance loan, should be made via the Student Finance website.

    • Do I still have to pay fees if I’m studying Nursing or Midwifery?

      UK or EU students starting their nursing and midwifery degrees in September 2016 are funded by NHS bursaries and therefore do not have to pay fees. However, students must apply for this exemption directly through the NHS. Information on the bursary application procedure is sent to applicants during the admissions process, and can be found on the NHS Bursary website.

      From September 2017, rather than receiving an NHS grant, new students in England studying pre-registration nursing and midwifery courses will have access to the standard student support package of tuition fee loans and support for living costs. For more information on funding arrangements for studying nursing and midwifery pre-registration courses and what it means for you, visit The Funding Clinic.

    • I’m an international student, how do I pay my fees and deposit?

      Full details on how you pay your fees and deposit can be found on our international funding page.

    • This is my second undergraduate degree. Can I still access Student Finance?

      Studying a second undergraduate degree, at the same level or lower than what you've previously studied, is known as obtaining an 'equivalent learning qualification' (EQL). UK/EU students studying for an EQL are unlikely to be eligible for a student loan from Student Finance, and may be obliged to pay a higher rate of tuition fee. Some courses, including Teaching, Midwifery, Nursing and Social Work are exempt from this.

      Please visit the Student Finance website for more details.
    • What other costs am I likely to incur as a student?

      As a student there are other costs you must take into consideration. Some of our courses require you to take part in field and residential trips. Where a course has additional costs attached to it, these are outlined on the fees and funding tab of each individual course web page.

    • What happens if I leave my course before I complete it?

      If you decide to withdraw from a course you must notify Unihelp. If you decide to withdraw within the first four weeks of the start of the academic year you will not be charged for your course fees. However, if you withdraw or interrupt after learning week 4 you will incur the following course fees:

      • Between learning weeks 5 and 11: 25% of that year's fee will be due
      • Between learning weeks 12 and 24: 50% of that year's fee will be due
      • After learning week 25: 100% of that year's fee will be due
    • Is there any additional information for parents/carers?

      We have dedicated a parents section of our website to ensure that parents, carers and guardians have as much information as possible about the University, and higher education.

    • Are there any fee arrangements for Gurkhas or their children?

      At Middlesex the children of Gurkhas, like the children of all British soldiers, have a right to a British education. We are demonstrating our support for the Gurkhas by regarding their children as UK students instead of as international students.

      If you are the son or daughter of a Gurkha and wish to apply for the reduced fees, you must provide:

      • A copy of your father's Army discharge certificate
      • Proof of his relationship to you, e.g. your birth certificate

      You can apply for a Gurkha Bursary by filling out the application form. Once completed, you should return your form to

    • Who can I contact at the University for more information on fees and funding?

      We are always keen to ensure you have as much information as possible to make informed decisions. If you would like to discuss fees and funding with us in more detail, you can speak to our student finance team. Alternatively, you can register for one of our Open Days where you can attend a fees and funding talk, and speak to one of our advisors.

In this section

Back to top

We use Cookies

View our Privacy and Cookie policy