The Boardroom C219, The Quad, Middlesex University London, The Burroughs, Hendon, London NW4 4BT
A panel on leadership in a refugee context led by MDX Honorary Doctorate Rachel Ellison MBE, alongside several MDX academics
Inspired by Rachel's book Global Leadership & Coaching: Flourishing Under Intense Pressure at Work this event will take a below the surface, psychoanalytically-informed approach to leadership in a refugee context. We hear from three different perspectives and ask:
- What does it take to be a highly effective leader in a refugee context?
- What can the rest of us learn from this, even if we do a completely different kind of job?
- Your refugee experience – literally or metaphorically – how might it contribute to the kind of leader you are? Or the kind of follower?
Rachel will be joined on the panel by MDX academics. Refreshments will be provided after the event.
About Rachel Ellison MBE
Global Leadership & Coaching: Flourishing Under Intense Pressure at Work takes a unique and personal look at coaching, leading and working internationally and interculturally, bringing together inspiring, original and dramatic stories of leadership from around the world. From war zones to refugee camps, prisons to hospitals, elite sport to supermarkets, Rachel draws on psychoanalytic below the surface thinking to analyse, in an attempt to interpret and understand leaders’ decisions, motivations and fears.
- ‘Rachel emits high, positive energy. She is probing and has great analytical skills. She makes me think real hard which is sometimes uncomfortable as in my environment you tend to have to think real fast rather than real hard.’ - Prime Broker, Global Investment Bank.
- Awarded an MBE: 'For the promotion of human rights and the self-empowerment of women in Afghanistan’. Won BBC Team of the Year after introducing a coaching style of leadership.
- Honorary Doctorate, Middlesex University 2019
- MA Professional Executive Leadership Coaching, Middlesex University 2009