Section navigation

Plan your stay

Studying in a foreign country is an exciting experience, and can allow you to expand your horizons and broaden your mind, as well as empower and prepare you for a global career.

We realise however that it also comes with its challenges. We take pride in the support we give our student that’s why we provide you with friendly support at each stage of your journey; helping you prepare for your departure, making you feel at home when you arrive in London; and supporting you throughout your studies and beyond.

You'll find lots of helpful information about preparing for your move to London below. If you have any questions your nearest regional office will be able to help, and may even arrange a pre-departure briefing to help you prepare for life at Middlesex.

  • FAQ

    • What do I need to do before coming to the UK?

      If you have accepted an offer to study at Middlesex, there are still some things to organise before you arrive in the UK. Follow the links to find out more information and if you have any questions please contact your nearest regional office team.

    • Do I need to apply for a visa?

      Many of our international students need a visa to study in the UK. Applying for a student visa isn't as complicated as you might think. Visit our visa and immigration pages for all the information you need.

    • Where will I live?

      Many of our international students choose to stay in university halls. You'll be among a community of Middlesex students from all over the world, and will have the chance to make friends who are studying on different courses, giving you a more enriched university experience.

      We are able to guarantee a place in halls for all international students applying before 12 August 2017. For more information and to apply, visit our Halls of residence pages.

      Alternatively, you may choose to rent privately in a local house or flat. This can be a good option if you want to explore other areas of London or mix with people who are not Middlesex students.

      It's important you start your search early; there are lots of students looking for accommodation, particularly before the start of term. For all you need to know about finding accommodation visit our accommodation pages.

    • Can I apply for scholarships or funding?

      It's important for you to think about how you will fund your time at university before you enrol onto a course. Visit our fees and funding information pages to find out some of the ways that you may fund your studies. Also don't forget to visit your country support page to see any specific funding or scholarships available to students from your country.

    • How much should I budget?

      Living costs and spending patterns at university in London can be very different to those in your home country. By planning a monthly budget before you arrive at university, you can adopt a sensible approach to spending and make the most of your time in London.

      Here are some of the costs you will need to keep in mind:

      • Tuition fees: These are dependent on your course, country of nationality and residency. Visit our tuition fees page for up-to-date information.
      • Travel: Travel costs will vary depending on where you are based, Detailed information about travelling across London is available on the TfL website.
      • Accommodation: Accomodation costs will also vary. Information about private rented accommodation is available here and information on our halls of residence is here.
      • Books: Middlesex University provides free e-books for all students.
      • Groceries: The Natwest Student Living Index 2016 suggests that students in the UK spend an average of just under £80 a month on groceries. Costs will vary depending on your tastes and lifestyle.
      • Social: The Natwest Student Living Index 2016 suggests that students spend an average of £95 per month on social activities - this includes eating out, going out and alcohol.
      • One-off costs: You may also like to budget for one-off costs such as flights, holiday and luxury items.
    • How do I book a place at International Orientation?

      Our International Orientation Programme will help you settle in and provide you with information to acquaint you with all aspects of living and studying in London. There will also be a variety of social activities giving you with an opportunity to meet other students and make new friends. For more information and to reserve a place, please see our Orientation Programme.

    • Do I need insurance or healthcare?

      You should take out travel insurance and contents insurance before you arrive. Depending on the type of insurance, this could cover most situations from lost items to medical cover. Make sure you read the conditions carefully including the length of time you will be covered for. We recommend taking out insurance specifically aimed at students such as Endsleigh.

      The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK's state health service which provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of health care services. Some treatments are free or subsidised for everyone, and for others, patients must meet certain conditions. Students who are from Europe receive free medical care from the NHS. Students from outside Europe receive free medical care as long as there course is longer than six months. Some students will need to pay a one-off surcharge to access NHS services as part of their visa application. Some students still decide to take out private medical insurance.

    • What should I pack?

      Make sure you check the limit of what can be taken on the flight, as most things can be purchased in London. The climate in the UK varies from 14-30 degrees in summer to 1-5 degrees in winter so you will need clothes and shoes for all seasons.

      Don't pack any food, pans or crockery as there are strict rules about importing food from abroad, and you can buy bulky items like pans and crockery very cheaply once you arrive.

      Essential items

      • Clothing and shoes for all seasons
      • Comfortable walking shoes
      • An umbrella
      • Medications and any notes from your doctor
      • Electrical adaptors for a British 3-pin socket
      • A few favourite photos of family and friends, posters and picture to make you feel at home
      • Important school work that could be useful in your studies
      • Important documents and a photocopy/scan of plane tickets, passport, visa, birth certificate and driving license if possible
      • Bi-lingual dictionary
      • Towels and toiletries
      • Bed linen (if staying in private accommodation – this will be provided in halls)

      Hand luggage

      • Valid passport (plus visa) or national card if from EU
      • All correspondence from Middlesex, including unconditional offer letter and accommodation contract letter (if applicable)
      • Original documents needed for enrolment (eg. qualifications)
      • Evidence of funding for tuition fees and living costs, including sponsor letter (if applicable)
      • Enough money (in pounds sterling) for the first couple of weeks at University
      • Health certificates, including vaccination records, plus X-ray reports if necessary
      • Any insurance documents
    • What will happen when I arrive at the airport?

      On arrival to the UK, please make sure that you contact your family either by phone or email, as they will want to know you have arrived safely.


      At the airport before you collect your luggage, you will have to go through the UKBA Immigration control where you will have your passport and medical evidence (if applicable) checked.

      Airport Meet and Greet Service

      We operate a free airport pick up service at Heathrow Airport for all new international students who are booked onto our International Orientation Programme and are staying in one of our halls of residence. For more information and to reserve a place, please see our International Orientation Programme.

    • How do I get to Middlesex University?

      We operate a free airport pick up service at Heathrow Airport for all new international students who are booked onto our International Orientation Programme and are staying in one of our halls of residence. For more information and to reserve a place, please see our International Orientation Programme.

      If you are not attending the orientation programme, you can find directions to our campus from all major airports and stations here.

    • What do I need to when I arrive in the UK?

      You can find information about what you need to when you arrive in the UK on our student support website UniHub.

      Here you can find all the information you need about arriving - from enrolling to opening a bank account, registering with a doctor and much more.

      If you have any questions or need support once you have arrived in the UK, you can contact our international student advice team.

In this section

Back to top

We use Cookies

View our Privacy and Cookie policy