Logo close icon


  • Frequently asked questions

    • Who can apply?

      Any student on a Psychology degree who has finished their second year and successfully completed a Research Methods module (PSY2004/ PSY 2005) can apply.

    • Can I study abroad?

      Yes. The University supports students to work abroad within the EU as part of their placement year. The Student Exchange Team can provide further advice on applying for a work placement overseas and potential ERASMUS scholarships that are available. Visit our Study abroad and exchanges page for further information including contact details.

    • I’m an international student, can I still do a work placement?

      Yes. EU students can work throughout the EU so are eligible for a work placement the same as any UK student. For non-EU international students it is still possible, but you may be required to apply for a visa. The University cannot provide visa advice in these instances so you will be required to make the application yourself.

    • Do I have to pay tuition fees while I’m on placement?

      No. Once the University has enrolled you on a placement year there are no tuition fees to pay for that year. When you return for your final year you begin paying tuition fees again.

    • Do I have assignments to complete during my placement year?

      Yes. Placement students are required to complete the following three assignments in order to pass the psychology placement module (PSY3004): log book, critical assessment, placement conference. Once you enrol in a placement year you will find more information on these assignments in the module outline.

    • Will I get paid during my placement?

      Depending on the employer, placements can be either paid or not. However, remuneration is announced in the advert of the position offered.

    • Is any funding available to support me during my placement?

      Depending on the type of placement a student secures they may be entitled to apply for a maintenance grant from Student Finance England. Grants vary according to the nature of the work carried out by the placement organisation.

    • How do I find a placement?

      The Employability Service at Middlesex has a wide range of placement opportunities exclusively for psychology students. These are advertised to students who have registered their interest in a placement year. Your Employability Advisor will assist you in identifying positions which will be most suitable to your career goals.

    • Can I find my own placement employer?

      You are welcome to find your own placement employer, but the position must meet the criteria of the placement scheme. For more information, please contact the Employability Service.

    • Can I apply for more than one placement?

      Yes. You are welcome to apply for as many positions as you wish and are advised to do this as it gives you the best chance of securing a placement position in your preferred area. However, you can only undertake one placement so are only able to accept one position.

    • How do I apply for a placement?

      You apply for your placement just like any other job application, with a CV and cover letter. The difference is that all placement positions are already prepared by our Employability Service, so they are able to provide expert advice and support during the application process.

    • Will I get help with the application process?

      Yes. Our Employability Service is here to provide you with extensive support throughout the whole application process.

    • Will I definitely find a job?

      The Employability Service often has more placement positions to advertise than students to fill them, so we are confident that you will be able to find a position that suits you.

      As with all jobs, you will have to go through an application and interview process. We cannot guarantee that you will be successful in your application, but provide all the support you need to apply and prepare for your interview so you are in the best position possible.

    • What happens if I don’t find a placement?

      If you don't find a suitable placement position then you enrol in the third year of your degree as normal and return to University at the start of term.

    • Who can I contact for more information?

      If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Placement Scheme Coordinator Letitia Slabu and/or the Employability Service.

    • What sort of jobs can I do?

      Students' placements range from providing emotional and practical support to witnesses or victims of crimes, to counselling services in schools, working alongside prevention teams with young offenders or supporting people with psychosis.

In this section

Back to top