Get in touch for more information about apprenticeships at Middlesex University:
The Academic Professional Apprenticeship (APA) programme is an apprenticeship which is funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA). The programme at Middlesex University has been specifically designed to enable the development of the exact Knowledge, Skills and professional Behaviours (KSBs) required by the nationally approved Level 7 Apprenticeship Standard.
On successful completion of your degree apprenticeship you will have gained:
Degree apprenticeships at Middlesex take an integrated approach to your work and your education and therefore your programme has been designed with consideration for the typical work duties you will carry out as your time in employment progresses.
All apprenticeships delivered in England require that a minimum of 20% of your overall programme hours be categorised as ‘Off-the-Job training’. The remaining 80% (or less) of the training hours within your programme take place through the completion of your regular workplace duties. We believe as a University that this integrated approach will make for an effective and coherent learning experience for you by learning applicable KSBs in a structured way which makes sense with your employer’s business goals and will as a result, allow you to hold a more positive, impactful position in the workplace.
The main benefit to you is that you will be allocated protected time during the period of the apprenticeship (minimum 18 months) where you will engage with a range of learning tasks, workshops, and time spent with a designated mentor. Of course, you will also benefit through achieving a nationally recognised higher education teaching qualification (PGCert HE) and the award of FHEA.
The apprenticeship allows the Trusts to draw down apprenticeship levy funding for this important staff development activity. It will provide an enriched professional development programme for staff new to learning and teaching at HE level. The implementation of the APA demonstrates a commitment to educators and academic staff and their CPD, raising levels of staff satisfaction. Importantly, if staff feel well equipped and confident to provide learners with innovative and learner-centred experiences then everyone will benefit.
The easiest way to conceptualise the APA is to think of it as ‘wrapping around’ the PGCert HE to provide you with a complete support and development system that enables you to demonstrate that you have met the academic requirements of the PGCert HE and that you have the knowledge and skills to be an effective Academic Professional (e.g. Professional Educator or Lecturer in most cases) and to meet the APA Standard.
The APA is designed to be undertaken in about 18 months. For the first 12 months you will complete the PGCert HE and then for the remaining 6 months you will engage in more independent learning planned and agreed locally within your workplace as well as receive support from the APA programme team as you prepare for your End Point Assessment (EPA).
All apprenticeships in England are required to include an End-point Assessment (EPA) to test that apprentices have demonstrated all the knowledge, skills and behaviours required for full occupational competence as specified in the nationally approved Apprenticeship Standard. For degree apprenticeships, the EPA can either be integrated within the degree or separate to the degree programme.
The specific requirements for EPA for the APA is detailed in the nationally approved End-point Assessment Plan and this can be found on the Institute for Apprenticeships website.
Learn more about the PGCert HE and check out the timetable for next year.
Applicants to the course will have to complete an application form and may be invited to an interview.
There is no cost to do a higher or degree apprenticeship for the apprentice/student. They will earn at least the minimum wage for apprentices but many companies pay more than this, particularly for higher and degree apprenticeships.