Section navigation

Postgraduate funding

Important: Applications for the government's new postgraduate loan scheme are now being accepted. You can apply via the Student Finance website.

Before you apply, we recommend that you read through the latest information about how the new postgraduate loans will work; including eligibility criteria and repayment terms. Click here to explore our postgraduate loans FAQ page.

Student Finance England have also put together the latest information in a short video.

We want to ensure that you have the most up to date information about fees and funding to allow you to make an informed decision. Below are the most frequent questions we receive about postgraduate fees and funding. Please click on the questions to discover more information.

Facebook live- Postgraduate Funding and Scholarships- 12th June, 5.30pm

Join us to find out more about Postgraduate Loans, Scholarships and Bursaries available for Postgraduate study.

  • Frequently asked questions

    • What are the fees for my course?

      Both full time, and part time fees can be found on each course's individual webpage. The courses can be accessed by the drop-down dashboard above, or by clicking here.

    • How are my part time fees calculated?

      Our part-time fees are calculated per taught credit. There is a fee per taught credit and this is multiplied by the number of credits for a particular course. The standard total credits for postgraduate qualifications are:

      • Postgraduate Certificate - 60 credit points (60 taught credits)
      • Postgraduate Diploma - 120 credit points (120 taught credits)
      • Masters - 180 credit points (120 taught credits plus 60 dissertation credits)

      We do also have a fee for completing a dissertation, this is applied if you choose to study for a postgraduate diploma and then decide to continue to complete a full masters course. This fee covers the difference in price between completing the different courses.

    • How do I pay my fees?

      If you are a UK/EU student and you have these options:

      1. You can pay your fees for that year of study in full at the start of the first semester (Sept/Oct)
      2. You can pay your fees for that year of study in two 50% instalments. The first instalment in Sept/Oct, and the second in January. (NB If you start your course in January, the instalments will be due at the start of January and April)
      3. If your annual fees are greater than £1500 you can pay your fees over six equal instalments throughout the academic year, by recurring debit/credit card
      4. If you are able to provide evidence of being in receipt of a Post Graduate Loan from Student Finance England you will be permitted to pay your fees in 3 equal instalments.  The first instalment is in Oct, the second on 28 February and the final instalment on 5 June.  To be eligible for this instalment plan you will need to pay by recurring debit/credit card.

      Course fees can only be paid via bank transfer, credit/debit card, or cheque/bankers draft. Middlesex University no longer accepts cash payments.

      Payments via cheque should be made out to:Student Fees and Finance - Financial Services

      Middlesex UniversityThe Burroughs

      Hendon, London

      NW4 4BT, UKTel: +44 (0)20 8411 6400

    • I’m an international student, how do I pay my fees and deposit?

      Full details on how you pay your fees and deposit can be found on our international funding page.

    • What other costs am I likely to incur as a student?

      As a student there are other costs you must take in to consideration such as accommodation, commuting, and extracurricular living costs. Some of our courses require you to take part in field and residential trips. Where a course has additional costs attached to it, these are outlined on the fees and funding tab of each individual course web page.

    • Is there any funding available to help cover the cost of my course?

      You can now apply for a Postgraduate Loan, a contribution towards your course and/or living costs while you are studying a postgraduate course. Here is some information about a Postgraduate Loan:

      1. If you started your course between 1 August 2017 and 31 July 2018 you can get up to £10,280 for your whole course. If your course starts on or after 1 August 2018 you can get up to £10,609 for your whole course.
      2. You can study either full-time (1 or 2 years) or part-time. If you are studying a full-time course, it can last for one or two years. If you are studying a part-time course, it can last for up to four years.
      3. You must be under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of your course to get a Postgraduate Loan.
      4. To apply for a Postgraduate Loan you must:
      • be a UK or EU national, or have settled status (this means that there are no restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK),
      • normally live in England, and
      • have been living in the UK for at least three years before the start of your course.

      If you are an EU national who has been living in the EEA or Switzerland for at least three years before the start of your course, you may also be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan.

      You may also be eligible if you are:

      • a refugee, or a relative of one,
      • under Humanitarian Protection, or a relative of someone under Humanitarian Protection,
      • 18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least half your life or for the last 20 years,
      • an EEA or Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one,
      • the child of a Swiss national,
      • the child of a Turkish worker, or
      • a member of the UK Armed Forces, or a relative of a member of the Armed Forces, and living overseas while studying on a Distance Learning Course.

      If you are from another part of the UK and have moved to England to study you won’t be able to get a Postgraduate Loan from Student Finance England.

      1. You will only be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan if you do not already hold an equivalent level qualification (another Postgraduate degree) or any other qualification that is 7 or higher.
      2. The degree must be 180 credits i.e. a full qualification.
      3. Research Masters and Distance Learning Masters are also eligible.
      4. Repayment of the loan will be at a rate of 6% once you are earning over £21K.
      5. Interest on the loan will be RPI +3%.
      6. You will start repaying the loan from the April immediately following completion of your degree.
      7. The loan will be paid in three instalments across the year.
      8. In order to access the instalments, the university will have to confirm your ongoing attendance and commitment to the degree.

      You can also choose to self-fund your degree, and many employers will also contribute towards the cost of their employees undertaking postgraduate study as part of their staff development programme. Our flexible payment plan, scholarships and awards will also help you finance your degree.

      IMPORTANT: You are not eligible for for the loan if you are in receipt of a social work bursary from any of the following:

      National Health Service (NHS)
      Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS)
      Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS)

      If you have not been awarded a social work bursary after applying for one, you may still apply for the loan.

    • Does the university offer any scholarships or awards?

      We offer a wide range of scholarships and awards that reward academic achievement and potential. You can find a full list of scholarship opportunities, including eligibility criteria and deadlines here.

    • What happens if I leave the course before I complete it?

      If you decide to withdraw from a course before completing it, you must notify Unihelp. If you decide to withdraw within the first four weeks of the start of the academic year you will not be charged. However:

      • If you withdraw between learning week 5 and learning week 13, you will be required to pay 50% of the annual tuition fee
      • If you withdraw after learning week 13 you will be required to pay 100% of the annual tuition fee
    • I’m applying for a research degree. How much do these cost?

      Information about the costs of our research degrees can be found here.

    • Are there any fee arrangements for Gurkhas or their children?

      We believe that, like the children of all British soldiers, the children of Gurkhas have a right to a British education, and are demonstrating our support for the Gurkhas by regarding their children as UK students instead of as international students.

      If you are the son or daughter of a Gurkha and wish to apply for the reduced fees, you must provide:

      • A copy of your father's Army discharge certificate
      • Proof of his relationship to you, e.g. your birth certificate

      You can apply for a Gurkha Bursary by filling out the application form.

      Once completed, you should return your form to

    • Who can I contact at the University for more information on fees and funding?

      We are always keen to ensure you have as much information as possible to make informed decisions. If you would like to discuss fees and funding with us in more detail, you can speak to our student finance team.Alternatively, you can register for one of our Open Evening where you can attend a fees and funding talk, and speak to one of our advisors.

In this section

Back to top

We use Cookies

View our Privacy and Cookie policy