Logo close icon

Private rented accommodation

Live independently at uni

Many of our students choose to live in private rented accommodation when they're studying. You'll be more independent than in a hall of residence and you'll have the chance to explore areas outside campus. Start your search as early as possible to make sure you have plenty of choice.

Finding a room

The Middlesexstudentpad website is an excellent place to start your accommodation search. It features up-to-date details of rented accommodation, including landlords' contact details, details of rent and other relevant information. The website is updated all year round, so even if term has started, it is always worth having a look at the details posted here. The site also includes a message board facility, allowing you to see notices posted by other students about housing.

We suggest you confirm all the details shown on the website with the owner of any accommodation before accepting a room and signing a lease.

We also run a lively Facebook page, where students often post information about available rooms.

Contact us

Private Rented Accommodation Office
Middlesex University
The Burroughs
Email: pra@mdx.ac.uk
Phone: +44 (0)20 8411 6121

Types of private rented accommodation

There are plenty of places available to rent near campus and many different options to consider with private rented accommodation.


This usually refers to renting a room in a house with a live-in landlord. Use of shared areas, for example, kitchens, lounges, toilets, or outside spaces, will be by informal agreement. You will usually have to pay a deposit to ensure you adhere to the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement. In most cases however, no formal rental contract is required.

Rooms in flats or houses

Many of our mature students choose this option because it can suit people who prefer a quieter lifestyle. You will typically have to sign a contract for a minimum of six months before moving into a property, and will usually have to pay a non-refundable cash deposit.

Short-stay accommodation

If you need short-stay accommodation there are hotels, guesthouses, and bed and breakfast accommodation for a range of budgets across north London. For information and contact details, download our short stay accommodation list.

Single parents and families

Most student accommodation is for single people or groups of friends (single rooms in shared accommodation).

If you have a family, you may want to use local letting agents to help you in your search for suitable rented accommodation. You can find a list of local letting agents on Middlesexstudentpad. You may also wish to contact Nansen Village, a housing association that provides accommodation for overseas postgraduate students and their families. Searching the many UK property search websites will also be very useful.

Rents, expenses and insurance

Depending on the area, the facilities available, and the general standard of accommodation, average rents vary between £120 - £170 per week. Unless you're living in lodgings, bills for gas, electricity and water are unlikely to be included so you will be expected to pay these separately. As a full-time student you may not have to pay council tax. Insurance to cover your personal possessions is advisable wherever you are living.


Local landlords, estate and letting agents

Offer accommodation to our students

Find out more

In this section

Back to top