Logo close icon

What to know about Halls

Applying for accommodation for 2023 to 2024

Here you can find what you need to know if you’re looking for a room in our halls for autumn 2023 or winter/spring 2024.

Two students outside their accommodation block at Middlesex University

  • What you need to know

    • Deadlines and when to apply for accommodation

      There’s no deadline to apply for accommodation although it’s good to apply as soon as you can.

      If you’d like to be close to campus for the Autumn term, we recommend that you apply for accommodation now even if you’re waiting for final details about how your course will be taught. This way you’ll have the best chance of getting the accommodation that you want.

      If you decide that to wait until the new year to start on campus, then you can apply in November for accommodation starting from January. However, we prioritise accommodation for students who are starting in the Autumn which means that we usually only have a limited number of vacancies in January.

    • Deposits and rent payments

      You don’t need to pay a deposit when you apply for accommodation. Instead we’ll ask you to make an advance rent payment when you accept an offer of accommodation. If you need to cancel the room before the start of term, and there’s enough time for student to take it, then we’ll refund any money you’ve paid.

      We offer a prompt payment discount of 2% to all students. To be eligible for this discount, you must have a 40 week contract, from September to June, and you must pay your full rent for the whole contract period by the payment deadline.

    • Support for different accommodation needs

      Get in touch with our Disability Support team if you need different kinds of support with your accommodation.  They’ll put together a support plan for you and make a recommendation to the Accommodation team. You can find how to get in touch with them here.

Get ready to apply

We've made the process of applying for accommodation in our halls of residence as simple as possible.

Whether you're a new or existing student, from the UK or abroad, here's the information you need to apply and get ready to move in.

If you have any questions, our Accommodation team is always happy to help.

Get accommodation advice

Call +44 (0)20 8411 6121

Email accomm@mdx.ac.uk

How to apply

New students

You can apply for accommodation in our halls of residence when you have accepted your place to study with us.

Apply online for accommodation

Our online application system does not work through the Google Chrome browser.

Advanced Rent Payment for Accommodation

We require a £300 advanced rent payment, which you can pay online once you receive your accommodation offer. The following credit or debit cards are accepted: Maestro, Switch, Visa Credit, MasterCard, Visa Debit (Delta) and Solo.

International students

If you are an international student who has applied through one of our overseas regional offices and been offered a place on a course by them, you can either apply online for accommodation or apply through your regional office and pay your £300 advanced rent payment.

Before you move in

  • Find out more about living in halls

    • Before moving in

      When should I begin to apply for a room in halls?

      New students and continuing students for the September intake can apply from April using our online application facility. Places are limited so we advise you to apply as early as possible.

      Do you have halls on campus? Where can I obtain information on halls and the local area?

      All our halls are off campus, but within easy reach on foot or public transport. You will find useful information in the Welcome Pack provided in your room.  For further enquiries email accomm@mdx.ac.uk.

      What is the cost of rent in halls accommodation?

      Prices vary for each hall, ranging from £162 - £202 per week. See the individual halls pages in this section of the website for more details.

      Can I see a room before I apply?

      You can visit a room on one of the tours at our open days. If you are not coming with a tour, we recommend that you contact the accommodation team who will then make arrangements with the hall you would like to visit in advance to ensure that there is an empty room available for you to view.

      Will I be guaranteed a room in halls?

      This will depend on your student status. Go to the main halls of residence page to find out more.

      When will I be allocated a room in halls?

      Allocations for the September intake start in April, and allocations for the January intake begin in November.

      Can I choose my room? Can I be allocated the same accommodation as my friend?

      You can specify that you would like a particular room or type of location (for example, not on ground floor or single gender flat) or even if you would like to be with a particular person. We will do our best to meet your request but cannot make any guarantees.

      When can I move into halls and when do contracts start?

      If you are applying for a place for a main intake period (September or January), your contract will begin on the main intake arrival date. If you are applying at any other time of year, your contract start date will be your individual move-in date, which will be arranged for you.

      Do you provide meals in halls of residence?

      No, all halls are self-catering. You will be able to find lots of places to buy food on campus, plus supermarkets and shops in your local area.

      Are halls mixed gender?

      Yes, generally all our halls are for both male and female students.

      Do you offer halls accommodation for students bringing a partner or family?

      No, all our halls have single bedrooms only. See our private rented accommodation section for options that meet these needs.

      Are halls smoking or non-smoking?

      All the rooms in the halls are non smoking, there are designated smoking areas outside the hall.

      What furnishings/facilities are supplied in the bedrooms?

      Each bedroom has a bed, wardrobe, desk, bedside cabinet (most halls), litter bin, and storage space. There is also an Internet access point.

      How long is the contract and when does it begin and finish?

      Most contracts are 40 weeks long but some are 50 weeks long.

      Can I stay on over summer vacation?

      Students who wish to stay in London for all or part of the summer vacation may be accommodated in one of our halls of residence. Summer vacation accommodation needs to be booked and paid for in advance. There will be an increased charge at some halls.

      Do I have to move out of my room during Christmas/Easter holidays?

      No, your room is yours for the whole duration of your contract.

      How soon after I move in do I have to pay rent?

      Rent should be paid in two or three instalments as detailed in the Acceptance Form (your contract) and must be paid on or before those dates.

      Does my advanced rent payment go towards my first instalment?

      Yes, the £300 advanced rent payment goes towards your first rent instalment.

      Do I get any preference in my second year as an international student?

      Unfortunately, as a returning student you do not get any preference.

      I am having problems accessing the online application form/payments system, what should I do?

      Please contact us on +44 (0)20 8411 6121 or email accomm@mdx.ac.uk.

    • Moving in

      What do I need to bring with me?

      You will need to bring bedding, towels, cutlery, crockery and anything else you feel that you may need during your stay.

      How do I collect my keys?

      You can collect your keys from your local accommodation office. You will need to have a copy of your contract, photo ID (for example, passport) and a completed residence form with a photograph before signing for your keys.

      Can I move in early?

      You can only move in early if this has been arranged and agreed with the Accommodation Team. Students are, however, normally permitted to move in to halls from the Monday before the contract actually starts (this is chargeable at the daily rate).

    • During your stay - rent

      How/where do I pay my rent?

      Rent should be paid in two or three instalments, as detailed in your Acceptance Form, and must be paid on or before those dates. You can pay by any of the methods below; please remember to quote your student number when making any payments:

      1. On-line via myUniHub.

      2. Over the phone if you have a credit/debit card (we do not accept American Express Cards), by calling +44 (0)20 8411 6400.

      3. Through the Regional Office, if you applied this way.

      Can I pay monthly?

      We do not offer monthly payment plans and students are advised to pay termly on the dates stated on their Acceptance Form (contract).

      Can I pay my rent at my local accommodation office directly?

      Unfortunately, rent cannot be paid at your local accommodation office.

      Can the rent deadline be extended?

      Rent is payable on or before arrival for your first term, and on or before the deadline dates as shown on your Acceptance Form (contract). We are unable to extend deadlines and payment must be made on time.

      What can I do if I am having problems paying my rent?

      It is very important that you make your payments by the agreed due dates. Failure to do so will result in loss of access to the University facilities. If you are having problems you should contact the Credit Control Team by phone on +44 (0)20 8411 6400 and select option 2, or by submitting a ticket via Unihelp

      Can I use my deposit towards my final instalment?

      We advise against you using your deposit towards your final instalment of rent, as if there are any charges due to losses/breakages etc, you may end up still owing money even after departure. This could adversely affect your ability to re-enrol for your next year or receive your exam results.

    • During your stay

      Can I change my room?

      Room moves will only be considered three weeks after your move-in date. They can only happen if there are rooms available and your rent payments are up to date. There is currently an administration charge of £30, unless specifically advised otherwise by the hall manager. Room/Hall Move Request Forms are available from your local accommodation office. Unauthorised room swaps will result in disciplinary action.

      Can I change halls?

      Hall moves will only be considered three weeks after your move-in date. They can only happen if there are rooms available in your chosen hall and your rent payments are up to date. There is an administration charge of £30, unless specifically advised otherwise by the hall manager. The necessary forms are available from your local accommodation office. Unauthorised room swaps will result in a disciplinary action.

      If I don't like living in halls after I have moved in, can I move out?

      Once you have accepted a contract and moved into halls, you are legally bound to its Terms and Conditions, one of which states that we do not accept notice to leave at any time unless you withdraw from the University. We advise you to seek independent legal clarification on your contractual obligations before signing the contract.

      If I finish my course/exams before my contract end date can I move out early and receive a rent refund?

      If you wish to move out early you may do so, but you will be charged for the rent of your room until your scheduled contract departure dates as per the Terms and Conditions of Residence that you agreed to. You will not receive a rent refund. If you are unsure about what contract you are on, contact the Accommodation Team on +44 (0)20 8411 6121.

      What happens to my room if I withdraw from the University?

      If you withdraw or interrupt your academic programme and leave the University or associated college, you must also leave your room in halls by giving one month's notice of your intention to leave. You must advise the Accommodation Team in writing of your decision and enclose a copy of the withdrawal/interruption of studies form issued to you by your student office.Your notification should include the date by which you will be leaving halls and returning your keys.

      The month's notice will begin on the day that your notification is received. If you move out before the end date of the month's notice period, we will make every effort to find a replacement for the room, but it is possible that you will be liable for the rent for the full month.

      Why can't contracts be terminated at the end of each payment period?

      All contracts are set for a specified period of time. All students should seriously consider whether they wish to stay for the full term of the contract before signing.

      When does my contract finish?

      You can check your copy of the Acceptance Form (contract), ask at your local accommodation office or call the Accommodation Team on +44 (0)20 8411 6121 to find out the exact date.

      Can I extend my contract?

      It may be possible to extend your contract at certain times of the year. If you wish to do this, please contact the Accommodation Team on +44 (0)20 84116121, who can advise you if this is possible.

    • General issues

      Can I get a letter to prove residency?

      Yes, this letter can be obtained from your local accommodation office after you arrive at halls (but not before).

      What banks are in the area and what details/documents do I need to open an account?

      At least one of the major high street banks can be found near each hall of residence. You will need proof of your current address (a letter can be provided by your local accommodation office) and your home address, as well as another form of identification (for example, a passport). The requirements can differ so it is best to go in and see what they require.

      I need a reference letter for bank, estate agent or embassy. Will the Accommodation Team provide one?

      The Accommodation Team is able to provide reference letters for estate agents. Your local accommodation office is able to provide other residency letters.

      Are the local accommodation offices able to receive parcels on behalf of students?

      Parcels can be received on behalf of students during accommodation office opening hours, providing appropriate notification is given.

      Do I have to pay for using the internet in my room?

      Use of the internet in all halls of residence is included in the rent.

      Can I have a telephone line in my room?

      Rooms do not come with landlines; the points provided are for network access only.

      Does the heating stay on all night?

      In most halls that have radiators as opposed to individual electric heaters, the heating will go off late at night. All boilers will be switched off at some point during the summer months.

      What happens if I need assistance outside of office hours?

      Security officers are on duty every day Monday to Friday from 5pm - 9am, and from 5pm on Friday night until 9am on the following Monday. The security officers are there for such things as excessive noise or emergencies. If you come home late, have forgotten your keys and it is after midnight, it will not be classed as an emergency.

      Can I park in halls?

      No parking is available in the halls. Requests can be made for health reasons and these will be assessed on a case by case basis.

      Can my family/friends stay in a hall/my room when they come and visit me?

      At the current time to help keep everyone safe we are not allowing friends or family to stay in the halls, you will need to meet with them outside away from the hall. We will be reviewing this as government advice is updated and will let you know if there is any change.

      What can I do about students being noisy at night in halls?

      You can call security and tell them the noise is disturbing you, and tell them where it is coming from. They will then ask the residents to be quieter/turn the music down. Your Hall Office will then follow the complaint up in the morning.

    • TV licence

      If you live in halls of residence and use a device (desktop, laptop, tablet, mobile phone etc) to watch/record TV in your own room, you need your own separate TV Licence. A licence is needed if you are watching or recording television programmes at the same time as they are being shown on TV. This is true no matter what device you're watching on and no matter how you're receiving the programmes (including terrestrial, satellite, cable or digital television channels).

      For further information and to buy a TV licence, visit the TV Licensing for Students website or call TV Licensing on 0300 555 0286.

      Anyone without a valid TV Licence who watches or records television programmes as described above risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

      How much do I have to pay for a TV licence?

      A colour TV Licence currently costs £150.50, and a black and white licence is £49.50.

      How do I buy a TV licence?

      To buy a TV licence, purchase online at the TV Licensing for Students website or call 0300 555 0286.

      Can I get a refund for when I move back home for summer?

      If you are moving back home for the summer from university and no longer need a TV Licence over the holidays, and there are three full calendar months before your licence expires, you are entitled to a refund for the unused, quarter of your licence.

      You will need to ensure you buy a licence early on, by the end of September/ early October, in order to allow enough time at the end of the academic year to qualify for a refund.

      If you wish to arrange a refund, please visit TV Licensing for Students or call TV Licensing on 0300 555 0286.

      If you'd like more information, head to the FAQs on the TV Licensing for Students website.

    • BSc Veterinary Nursing accommodation
      • Please apply online for the 40 week contract September – June and pay the deposit. You can then email accomm@mdx.ac.uk or call 020 8411 6121 to arrange a one-semester contract for the period of September – January. If you wish to do your placement in London, you will be able to keep the 40 week contract. Any changes will need to be discussed with the accommodation team.
      • If you need accommodation over the summer period, we have availability in our Ivy hall in either an Ensuite Room or Standard Room. Please contact the accommodation team by email accomm@mdx.ac.uk or call on 020 8411 6121.
    • If you have a disability

      If you have a disability that may affect the type of accommodation that's best for you, please contact the University Disability Support Service: email disability@mdx.ac.uk or call +44 (0)20 8411 4945.

    • Short stay accommodation

      There are a number of hotels and B&Bs in and around Hendon. If you are looking for temporary or overnight accommodation nearby, try the following links:

      Alternatively, you can download our accommodation list.

In this section

Back to top